Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I've Rediscovered WD-40

Haven't posted for awhile, but I still read
the group at least once a week.

Ya know how when you were but a babe, maybe
20, maybe a teenager, and you discovered the
wonders of WD-40? When you sprayed it here
and there, it made everything work easier,
quieter? I was like that. Then I discovered
Usenet and this group in particular. I read
how the magical fluid in the blue can was not
a lubricant. That anything it did would not
last. That it could cause more problems then
it solved. So, I believed it all and began
using other recommended sprays and
lubricants. And that is the way it has been
for me for years. Oh, I still used WD-40 for
certain things, mostly when one of my cast
iron tools would get some surface rust on it.
I would spray it on, let it set a bit and
then scrub with a Scotch pad. That always
worked and worked well. Other than that,
haven't really used it for years.

A while back, I had a sticking file cabinet
lock at work. It just kept getting harder
and harder to turn the key each day, but I
put up with it. One day I thought I was
going to break the key off. All we had in
the office was a can of WD-40. From what I
had learned, that was exactly the wrong thing
to use. I needed some graphite! But, we
didn't have any. I was frustrated and really
didn't care. I took the blue can, aimed the
tube into the lock and sprayed, just a
little. I know how this stuff runs. I
slipped in my key and voila! It turned like
buttah. That was about 2 years ago. The
lock still works great.

The other day, one of our screen door locks
just wouldn't turn. It's a deadbolt on a
little used door. It has a knob on the
inside to turn it but it just wouldn't budge.
I thought, "this isn't good, what if there's
a fire?" There was a slight gap when I
pushed on the door, just enough to get that
little spray tube into, but it wasn't going
to reach any part of the workings of the
lock. I tried to take the lock apart,
removing the screws and as much of the
cylinder as I could, but that door wasn't
going to open. I reassembled everything in
frustration. Then I sprayed just a little
WD-40 on the only part I could reach, the
bolt itself through the crack in the door. I
turned the knob again, and again, voila! It
turned like buttah. I immediately went
around to the other two screen doors and did
the same and while I was there, I sprayed
what I could reach and the key hole on all
the locks. Everything has quieted down and
turns easily. That was a couple weeks ago
and I'm still amazed at how easily and
quietly everything is working.

Now, back at work. We have a 60 cup coffee
pot that plugs into a timer. I'm the coffee
guy, mostly for self-preservation. At the
end of the day, I unplug the cord from the
timer so I can get enough room to wash up the
pot for the next day. It has become
increasingly difficult to remove the plug
from the timer. I had to pull realllly hard
to get it out. This has been going on for
about three years. Today, I took a paper
towel and sprayed a little WD-40 on it and
wiped the blades of the plug. Slipped it in
the outlet of the timer and, well, you get
the idea. Like buttah.......

Recently purchased a couple Honda scooters,
used. The lock to lift up the seat for the
helmet holder was hard to turn on both of
them. Pssst, psst, they work like new. The
cargo door locks on my motorhome were
difficult to turn. A little in the key hole
and a little on the inside latch, good to go!

So, don't believe everything you hear or
read. Yes, there are places where some other
lubricant is more appropriate, but WD-40 has
earned a spot right up front on my lubricant
shelf, once again. Try it, you might like
it, just like you used to.

--

Best Regards,

Phil Anderson
Living In The Woods Of Beautiful Bonney Lake,
Washington
Visit My Web Site: www.philsfun.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Troll post attempting to recover failing sales comes up every few months.

WD-40 wrecks more than it fixes!

Spam the garbage somewhere else!

---------------
"Phil Anderson" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phil Anderson wrote:

So, don't believe everything you hear or
read. Yes, there are places where some other
lubricant is more appropriate, but WD-40 has
earned a spot right up front on my lubricant
shelf, once again. Try it, you might like
it, just like you used to.

snipped

Don't throw away the K-Y just yet.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Let X = 42

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/14/2011 8:21 PM, Phil Anderson wrote:
Snip

So, don't believe everything you hear or read. Yes, there are places
where some other lubricant is more appropriate, but WD-40 has earned a
spot right up front on my lubricant shelf, once again. Try it, you might
like it, just like you used to.

It is great for removing road tar and bugs from your car paint.
I also like to use it as a cologne on those special nights out on the
town.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 7/14/2011 8:21 PM, Phil Anderson wrote:
Snip

So, don't believe everything you hear or read. Yes, there are places
where some other lubricant is more appropriate, but WD-40 has earned
a spot right up front on my lubricant shelf, once again. Try it, you
might like it, just like you used to.

It is great for removing road tar and bugs from your car paint.
I also like to use it as a cologne on those special nights out on the
town.

And polishing a stainless kitchen sink (also far cheaper than the
"stainless" cleaners).

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

snip good stuff

So, don't believe everything you hear or read. Yes, there are places
where some other lubricant is more appropriate, but WD-40 has earned a
spot right up front on my lubricant shelf, once again. Try it, you might
like it, just like you used to.

I buy a gallon of WD40 at at time and refill a spray bottle as needed.

IME, there is nothing that does a better job of cleaning stainless steel
appliances/fixtures, among other things.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

m II wrote:

Troll post attempting to recover failing sales comes up every few months.

WD-40 wrecks more than it fixes!

Spam the garbage somewhere else!

Yes, this piece is an obvious ad for WE-40.

That being said, its a rather cute piece, which makes me wonder about those
who would get upset over it.

On a related topic. My brother's tagline is "The only things you need in
this world are duct tape and WD-40." He's not too far off. Back about 23
years ago, when we started building our place here in the country, it got to
be a joke and a sense of amazement between my wife and I over all the uses
we were finding for WD-40. Leon is right, it works well for removing bugs
from the car. In addition, it is great at taking paint off your hands and
the list goes on.

Of course, I live in the South with its humidity. But even back in S.
Central Illinois where I was raised, we found we really couldn't get along
without it. Oh, other things do a better job, in certain areas (like PB
Blaster for rusted bolts) but it really just kind of the "Swiss Army Knife"
in a can thing.

Deb

---------------
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/2011 8:24 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
m II wrote:

Troll post attempting to recover failing sales comes up every few months.

WD-40 wrecks more than it fixes!

Spam the garbage somewhere else!

Yes, this piece is an obvious ad for WE-40.

That being said, its a rather cute piece, which makes me wonder about those
who would get upset over it.

Have more respect for your elders!

You guys just haven't been around here long enough. Phil Anderson (if
indeed it is the same Phil, and it sure sounds like it) was a regular
here at least ten or more years ago, actually maybe like fifteen years ago?.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 07:05:58 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 7/14/2011 8:21 PM, Phil Anderson wrote:
Snip

So, don't believe everything you hear or read. Yes, there are places
where some other lubricant is more appropriate, but WD-40 has earned a
spot right up front on my lubricant shelf, once again. Try it, you might
like it, just like you used to.

It is great for removing road tar and bugs from your car paint.

That she are!

I also like to use it as a cologne on those special nights out on the
town.

Oh, no. Town runs require something much more delicate and powerful:
Eu de Hoppes #9.

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 15, 8:29*am, Swingman wrote:

That being said, its a rather cute piece, which makes me wonder about those
who would get upset over it.

Have more respect for your elders!

You guys just haven't been around here long enough. Phil Anderson (if
indeed it is the same Phil, and it sure sounds like it) was a regular
here at least ten or more years ago, actually maybe like fifteen years ago?.

I don't know, but I looked up his posting pattern and this guy
definitely isn't a spammer. He may have lifted a cute anecdote or its
parts for the story (or not), but 7 posts in a 10 month period doesn't
seem like much of a spam effort.

Anyway, I always keep WD40 around. I don't use it on door locks,
machines, and thinking about it, rarely as a lubricant. But it is
dandy as its original intent as "Water Displacment formula 40"
indicates.

I swab it on my pocket knife blade after using it as cleaner (blade
only). I spray sheetmetal flashings to keep zinc oxide from appearing
until they are used; if I have a box of nails in the back of the truck
and rain is approaching, I spray the top and sides of the box to keep
rain and moisture out. After sharpening my beater chisels that get
used for everything (sadly....) I wipe them off with WD40 before
putting them in the toolbox. My big peanut butter jar of odd screws
and fasteners left from various installations gets a spritz to keep
the contents from oxidizing while riding in the truck.

It works great on the ends of brass hoses to ease connects and
disconnects. Ditto the hose bibb. Works great on the connections and
tips for my power washer to keep them easy to connect and disconnect.

Lots of stuff to do with old faithful, you just need to remember
lubrication isn't its forte.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Well, since it is basically kerosene, you've discovered what the old
timers in the 1800's knew. Kerosene can be used for a myriad of things.
Including wasp stings.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/2011 7:52 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 7/14/2011 8:21 PM, Phil Anderson wrote:
Snip

So, don't believe everything you hear or read. Yes, there are places
where some other lubricant is more appropriate, but WD-40 has earned
a spot right up front on my lubricant shelf, once again. Try it, you
might like it, just like you used to.

It is great for removing road tar and bugs from your car paint.
I also like to use it as a cologne on those special nights out on the
town.

And polishing a stainless kitchen sink (also far cheaper than the
"stainless" cleaners).

a little atf on a rag works wonders on stainless also.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Barker wrote the following:
[...]

It's main ingredients are mineral spirits and mineral oil.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

m II wrote:

Troll post attempting to recover failing sales comes up every few
months.

WD-40 wrecks more than it fixes!

Spam the garbage somewhere else!

Yes, this piece is an obvious ad for WE-40.

That being said, its a rather cute piece, which makes me wonder about
those
who would get upset over it.

Have more respect for your elders!

You guys just haven't been around here long enough. Phil Anderson (if
indeed it is the same Phil, and it sure sounds like it) was a regular here
at least ten or more years ago, actually maybe like fifteen years ago?.

Thanks, Karl, for remembering. Yeah, probably going on 15 years with the
wreck. My intent was not to SPAM, I have NOTHING to gain. My sole intent
was to spread some of the cheer I felt after using WD-40 for the first time
in a long time. I also sprayed an old pocket knife that belonged to a
deceased relative and was badly rusted and no part of it was moving. That
was a few months ago and I basically forgot about it. Found it the other
day and the blades open and close almost like new! A little polishing and
sharpening and it will last another generation.
Like Robert, I have used it to spray over an open container of fasteners and
it works slick for that.

I have a web site www.philsfun.com that hasn't changed in ages if anyone
wants to check out my validity. Nothing is for sale, it's just a hobby
site. Not even a link to anything for sale. No SPAM from me, ever...

Phil

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

willshak wrote the following:
[...]

I know better, but I typed 'it's' instead of 'its'.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/11 8:23 AM, Swingman wrote:
So, don't believe everything you hear or read. Yes, there are places
where some other lubricant is more appropriate, but WD-40 has earned a
spot right up front on my lubricant shelf, once again. Try it, you might
like it, just like you used to.

I buy a gallon of WD40 at at time and refill a spray bottle as needed.

IME, there is nothing that does a better job of cleaning stainless steel
appliances/fixtures, among other things.

Note taken. I did not know that. (johnny carson voice)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

m II wrote:

[...]

M II has realized his mistake and canceled his post. He doesn't
contribute anything worth reading anyway.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/11 11:38 AM, willshak wrote:

M II has realized his mistake and canceled his post. He doesn't
contribute anything worth reading anyway.

Interesting.
Wonder if he'll "cancel" his post accusing me of having multiple
identities.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

m II wrote:

[...]

Hey Phil, Is it really 70 degrees up there. LOL It is a cool 95
degrees here in Houston.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 7/14/2011 8:21 PM, Phil Anderson wrote:
Snip

So, don't believe everything you hear or read. Yes, there are places
where some other lubricant is more appropriate, but WD-40 has earned
a spot right up front on my lubricant shelf, once again. Try it, you
might like it, just like you used to.

It is great for removing road tar and bugs from your car paint.
I also like to use it as a cologne on those special nights out on the
town.

And polishing a stainless kitchen sink (also far cheaper than the
"stainless" cleaners).

a little atf on a rag works wonders on stainless also.

I suspect any oil is going to make ss look good but you like the red
tint? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 7/14/2011 8:21 PM, Phil Anderson wrote:
Snip

So, don't believe everything you hear or read. Yes, there are places
where some other lubricant is more appropriate, but WD-40 has earned a
spot right up front on my lubricant shelf, once again. Try it, you might
like it, just like you used to.

It is great for removing road tar and bugs from your car paint.

That she are!

I also like to use it as a cologne on those special nights out on the
town.

Oh, no. Town runs require something much more delicate and powerful:
Eu de Hoppes #9.

Oh yeah, always smelled good after cleaning the guns. LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/2011 10:27 AM, willshak wrote:

It's main ingredients are mineral spirits and mineral oil.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40:

WD-40's formula is a trade secret. The product is not patented to avoid
completely disclosing its ingredients. WD-40's main ingredients,
according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, a

50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits – primarily hexane,
somewhat similar to kerosene)
25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide
is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredients

IOW, what you said.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

All good ideas, Robert. I especially like the hose bibb fittings and the
pressure washer. I'll get right on it!

Phil

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon queries:
snip
Hey Phil, Is it really 70 degrees up there. LOL It is a cool 95 degrees
here in Houston.

Gosh, is it 70 already?? HA, yeah, we need Al Gore to visit to raise the
ambient temp just a little, I guess. It has been unusually cool and wet this
spring/summer.

Phil

Posted to rec.woodworking

My understanding is that it also contains an amount of DMSO (dimethyl
sulfoxide), which gives it some of it's solvent/penetrating
capability. People were using it (WD40) as an arthritis treatment
back in the 70's. This is also a problem because DMSO can dissolve
materials and carry them through the skin, into the bloodstream. This
means whatever the WD40 dissolves, you're at risk of having get into
your blood. In FidoNet conversations, a Ruger Firearms engineer, Ed
Harris told me that WD40 was banned from their plants. He claimed it
contained chlorine, and was found to cause stress cracking in the
stainless steel they used in firearms. I always used his formula
"Ed's Red" anyway.

On Jul 15, 4:00*pm, Just Wondering wrote:
On 7/15/2011 10:27 AM, willshak wrote:

It's main ingredients are mineral spirits and mineral oil.

fromhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40:

WD-40's formula is a trade secret. The product is not patented to avoid
completely disclosing its ingredients. *WD-40's main ingredients,
according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, a

50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits – primarily hexane,
somewhat similar to kerosene)
25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide
is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredients

IOW, what you said.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Phil Anderson" wrote in message

Leon queries:
snip
Hey Phil, Is it really 70 degrees up there. LOL It is a cool 95
degrees here in Houston.

Gosh, is it 70 already?? HA, yeah, we need Al Gore to visit to raise the
ambient temp just a little, I guess. It has been unusually cool and wet
this spring/summer.

Phil

NO! It's been hot and dry this summer

Max (in El Paso)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/11 5:43 PM, Josepi wrote:
Lubricant for 2 days then it forms a sludge that will lock your
mechanisms up tight.

bull****.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

n Fri, 15 Jul 2011 16:20:07 -0700, "Phil Anderson"
wrote:

Leon queries:
snip
Hey Phil, Is it really 70 degrees up there. LOL It is a cool 95 degrees
here in Houston.

Gosh, is it 70 already?? HA, yeah, we need Al Gore to visit to raise the
ambient temp just a little, I guess. It has been unusually cool and wet this
spring/summer.

Phil

I remember you and I'm just up the road near Carnation

MikeM

Posted to rec.woodworking

asshole.

"-MIKE-" wrote in message ...
bull****.

On 7/15/11 5:43 PM, Josepi wrote:
Lubricant for 2 days then it forms a sludge that will lock your
mechanisms up tight.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/11 9:19 PM, m II wrote:
asshole.

"-MIKE-" wrote in message ... bull****.

On 7/15/11 5:43 PM, Josepi wrote:
Lubricant for 2 days then it forms a sludge that will lock your
mechanisms up tight.

asshole?..... you mean like the asshole who accused me of posting under
several different identities? Oh no, wait, that was you. The asshole, you.

Still waiting for any shred of evidence to back up your allegation.
I suspect I'll be waiting a long time.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/11 9:45 PM, m II wrote:
asshole.

"-MIKE-" wrote in message ... Interesting.
Wonder if he'll "cancel" his post accusing me of having multiple
identities.

What grade are you in?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Elementary my dear Watson....err asshole

----------------------

"-MIKE-" wrote in message ...

What grade are you in?

--

-MIKE-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/11 10:01 PM, m II wrote:
Elementary my dear Watson....err asshole

----------------------

"-MIKE-" wrote in message ...
What grade are you in?

All you have to do is apologize.
I believe of of the characteristics of an "asshole" is reluctance to
apologize for doing wrong. You're the one who made baseless accusations
towards me. All I did was call you out on them. Who's the asshole?

I thought so. The guy who posts, anonymously, calling people names and
accusing them of crap, while hiding behind his cowardly, anonymous
pseudonym.
You can google "pseudonym" in case you're an asshole *and* a dumbass.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/15/11 10:16 PM, m II wrote:
anonymous"?

Bull****.

still an asshole

Yeah, anonymous. No name, no real way to find you. duh.
Google that word while you're at it.

I'm still waiting for that the proof of your allegations.
You can keep changing the subject or ignoring it all you want.
That's more evidence pointing to who the real asshole is.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 15, 11:13*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

I thought so. *The guy who posts, anonymously, calling people names and
accusing them of crap, while hiding behind his cowardly, anonymous
pseudonym.
You can google "pseudonym" in case you're an asshole *and* a dumbass.

IPA spritzing out of nostrilllls... please warn me next time?