Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I've Rediscovered WD-40

On Jul 15, 8:29*am, Swingman wrote:

That being said, its a rather cute piece, which makes me wonder about those
who would get upset over it.

Have more respect for your elders!

You guys just haven't been around here long enough. Phil Anderson (if
indeed it is the same Phil, and it sure sounds like it) was a regular
here at least ten or more years ago, actually maybe like fifteen years ago?.

I don't know, but I looked up his posting pattern and this guy
definitely isn't a spammer. He may have lifted a cute anecdote or its
parts for the story (or not), but 7 posts in a 10 month period doesn't
seem like much of a spam effort.

Anyway, I always keep WD40 around. I don't use it on door locks,
machines, and thinking about it, rarely as a lubricant. But it is
dandy as its original intent as "Water Displacment formula 40"
indicates.

I swab it on my pocket knife blade after using it as cleaner (blade
only). I spray sheetmetal flashings to keep zinc oxide from appearing
until they are used; if I have a box of nails in the back of the truck
and rain is approaching, I spray the top and sides of the box to keep
rain and moisture out. After sharpening my beater chisels that get
used for everything (sadly....) I wipe them off with WD40 before
putting them in the toolbox. My big peanut butter jar of odd screws
and fasteners left from various installations gets a spritz to keep
the contents from oxidizing while riding in the truck.

It works great on the ends of brass hoses to ease connects and
disconnects. Ditto the hose bibb. Works great on the connections and
tips for my power washer to keep them easy to connect and disconnect.

Lots of stuff to do with old faithful, you just need to remember
lubrication isn't its forte.

Robert