Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default I've Rediscovered WD-40

On 7/14/2011 8:21 PM, Phil Anderson wrote:
Haven't posted for awhile, but I still read the group at least once a week.

Ya know how when you were but a babe, maybe 20, maybe a teenager, and
you discovered the wonders of WD-40? When you sprayed it here and there,
it made everything work easier, quieter? I was like that. Then I
discovered Usenet and this group in particular. I read how the magical
fluid in the blue can was not a lubricant. That anything it did would
not last. That it could cause more problems then it solved. So, I
believed it all and began using other recommended sprays and lubricants.
And that is the way it has been for me for years. Oh, I still used WD-40
for certain things, mostly when one of my cast iron tools would get some
surface rust on it. I would spray it on, let it set a bit and then scrub
with a Scotch pad. That always worked and worked well. Other than that,
haven't really used it for years.

snip good stuff

So, don't believe everything you hear or read. Yes, there are places
where some other lubricant is more appropriate, but WD-40 has earned a
spot right up front on my lubricant shelf, once again. Try it, you might
like it, just like you used to.

I buy a gallon of WD40 at at time and refill a spray bottle as needed.

IME, there is nothing that does a better job of cleaning stainless steel
appliances/fixtures, among other things.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010