Posted to rec.woodworking
m II m II is offline

Default I've Rediscovered WD-40

Troll post attempting to recover failing sales comes up every few months.

WD-40 wrecks more than it fixes!

Spam the garbage somewhere else!

---------------
"Phil Anderson" wrote in message ...

Haven't posted for awhile, but I still read
the group at least once a week.

Ya know how when you were but a babe, maybe
20, maybe a teenager, and you discovered the
wonders of WD-40? When you sprayed it here
and there, it made everything work easier,
quieter? I was like that. Then I discovered
Usenet and this group in particular. I read
how the magical fluid in the blue can was not
a lubricant. That anything it did would not
last. That it could cause more problems then
it solved. So, I believed it all and began
using other recommended sprays and
lubricants. And that is the way it has been
for me for years. Oh, I still used WD-40 for
certain things, mostly when one of my cast
iron tools would get some surface rust on it.
I would spray it on, let it set a bit and
then scrub with a Scotch pad. That always
worked and worked well. Other than that,
haven't really used it for years.

A while back, I had a sticking file cabinet
lock at work. It just kept getting harder
and harder to turn the key each day, but I
put up with it. One day I thought I was
going to break the key off. All we had in
the office was a can of WD-40. From what I
had learned, that was exactly the wrong thing
to use. I needed some graphite! But, we
didn't have any. I was frustrated and really
didn't care. I took the blue can, aimed the
tube into the lock and sprayed, just a
little. I know how this stuff runs. I
slipped in my key and voila! It turned like
buttah. That was about 2 years ago. The
lock still works great.

The other day, one of our screen door locks
just wouldn't turn. It's a deadbolt on a
little used door. It has a knob on the
inside to turn it but it just wouldn't budge.
I thought, "this isn't good, what if there's
a fire?" There was a slight gap when I
pushed on the door, just enough to get that
little spray tube into, but it wasn't going
to reach any part of the workings of the
lock. I tried to take the lock apart,
removing the screws and as much of the
cylinder as I could, but that door wasn't
going to open. I reassembled everything in
frustration. Then I sprayed just a little
WD-40 on the only part I could reach, the
bolt itself through the crack in the door. I
turned the knob again, and again, voila! It
turned like buttah. I immediately went
around to the other two screen doors and did
the same and while I was there, I sprayed
what I could reach and the key hole on all
the locks. Everything has quieted down and
turns easily. That was a couple weeks ago
and I'm still amazed at how easily and
quietly everything is working.

Now, back at work. We have a 60 cup coffee
pot that plugs into a timer. I'm the coffee
guy, mostly for self-preservation. At the
end of the day, I unplug the cord from the
timer so I can get enough room to wash up the
pot for the next day. It has become
increasingly difficult to remove the plug
from the timer. I had to pull realllly hard
to get it out. This has been going on for
about three years. Today, I took a paper
towel and sprayed a little WD-40 on it and
wiped the blades of the plug. Slipped it in
the outlet of the timer and, well, you get
the idea. Like buttah.......

Recently purchased a couple Honda scooters,
used. The lock to lift up the seat for the
helmet holder was hard to turn on both of
them. Pssst, psst, they work like new. The
cargo door locks on my motorhome were
difficult to turn. A little in the key hole
and a little on the inside latch, good to go!

So, don't believe everything you hear or
read. Yes, there are places where some other
lubricant is more appropriate, but WD-40 has
earned a spot right up front on my lubricant
shelf, once again. Try it, you might like
it, just like you used to.

--

Best Regards,

Phil Anderson
Living In The Woods Of Beautiful Bonney Lake,
Washington
Visit My Web Site: www.philsfun.com