Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Philips Wood screws

On Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:07:20 AM UTC-7, Max wrote:
"CaveLamb" wrote in message
news
CaveLamb wrote:
Erik wrote:

Actually, I think I was thinking of the Reed and Prince...
It requires a special screw driver.

I was wondering when someone might mention those. They were used on the
Nike missile airframe. The screwdrivers have a pointed nose as opposed to
the slightly rounded nose of a conventional Phillips.

More importantly, Philips #0, #1, #2, #3 are all DIFFERENT shapes,
and Pozidrive #1, #2 are also different, but a single Reed and Prince
tip will fit all Reed and Prince screws...

All screw head types, including straight slot types, require
a special screw driver... if you want the tip to fit, there's LOTS of
wrong choices.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/30/11 2:38 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:07:20 AM UTC-7, Max wrote:
wrote in message
news
CaveLamb wrote:
Erik wrote:

Actually, I think I was thinking of the Reed and Prince...
It requires a special screw driver.

I was wondering when someone might mention those. They were used on the
Nike missile airframe. The screwdrivers have a pointed nose as opposed to
the slightly rounded nose of a conventional Phillips.

More importantly, Philips #0, #1, #2, #3 are all DIFFERENT shapes,
and Pozidrive #1, #2 are also different, but a single Reed and Prince
tip will fit all Reed and Prince screws...

All screw head types, including straight slot types, require
a special screw driver... if you want the tip to fit, there's LOTS of
wrong choices.

Just use a good chisel or kitchen knife, my wife does. :-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

whit3rd wrote in
.
com:

More importantly, Philips #0, #1, #2, #3 are all DIFFERENT shapes,
and Pozidrive #1, #2 are also different, but a single Reed and Prince
tip will fit all Reed and Prince screws...

All screw head types, including straight slot types, require
a special screw driver... if you want the tip to fit, there's LOTS of
wrong choices.

Just a quick tack with a welder solves quite a few problems...

Epoxy for those screws that you can't weld...

Go through a lot of screw drivers that way, but for not having to have a
thousand bits it's a good thing, eh?

Puckdropper