Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Philips Wood screws

On Fri, 27 May 2011 17:19:59 -0500, Ignoramus6479
wrote:

There are two kinds of Philips wood screws. The better ones fit the
screwdriver like hand and glove, stay on it and maintain the
direction. The "other kind" do not, they wiggle out and are a huge
pain to use to start holes in awkward positions, etc.

It is not really magic and it is clear why this is the case -- the
philips hole on the better ones is deeper and has a better fit.

http://www.cooperpowertools.com/cata.../TC-100_EN.pdf
Look for Apex ACR bits with the cool ridges. They're tits, I tell ya.

My question is, rather, what is that mating called, if I order wood
screws online at mcMaster-Carr, what should I be looking for?

I'd go with Robertson Square Drives, myself. They cam out far less
frequently than phillips or pozi heads do. Check out McFeely's for
all the sizes. They have new customer specials and combo discounts.
http://www.mcfeelys.com/ (std disclaimer applies/happy user)
Their hardware isn't cheap, but it's well made.

Many manufacturers are building that into phillips headed deck screws
nowadays, too. You can use either driver for them.

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Oops, I forgot to add that Torx screws are great, too, but Robertsons
hold on to the driver a lot better than magnets can hold them.

Self-tapping type 17 tips are a must for longer fasteners, especially
if you don't drill pilot holes.

--
Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening
of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences.
It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is
happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with
awareness. -- Louis L'Amour
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

And can twist the heads right off if you let them...

That's why the cam effect of the Phillips in the first place.

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That probably had it's place before the advent of drivers with clutches
and torque settings, but is just a pain now. It's also amazing what an
impact driver will do, you can try to drive a 3" screw into hard wood
with a drill driver and snap it off readily (of just listen to the
clutch click) while an impact driver will zip it all the way in with no
problem.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Yeah. That little swat on the butt gets things moving along nicely,
doesn't it...

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress

wood screws [email protected] Woodworking 8 November 23rd 08 12:02 AM
Wood Screws JB Jumpback Woodworking 13 November 17th 08 06:03 PM
Wood screws that don't suck? Jeff Woodworking 14 December 16th 07 01:59 PM
Using sheet metal, particle board, or drywall screws in wood, and help finding source for black wood screws John2005 Woodworking 10 June 19th 06 04:35 PM
Loctite for wood screws? [email protected] Woodworking 9 April 29th 06 07:22 PM