Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Philips Wood screws

There are two kinds of Philips wood screws. The better ones fit the
screwdriver like hand and glove, stay on it and maintain the
direction. The "other kind" do not, they wiggle out and are a huge
pain to use to start holes in awkward positions, etc.

It is not really magic and it is clear why this is the case -- the
philips hole on the better ones is deeper and has a better fit.

My question is, rather, what is that mating called, if I order wood
screws online at mcMaster-Carr, what should I be looking for?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Ignoramus6479 wrote:
There are two kinds of Philips wood screws. The better ones fit the
screwdriver like hand and glove, stay on it and maintain the
direction. The "other kind" do not, they wiggle out and are a huge
pain to use to start holes in awkward positions, etc.

It is not really magic and it is clear why this is the case -- the
philips hole on the better ones is deeper and has a better fit.

My question is, rather, what is that mating called, if I order wood
screws online at mcMaster-Carr, what should I be looking for?

Are you sure you are not including "cross head" with "Phillips"?

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Ignoramus6479 wrote:

There are two kinds of Philips wood screws. The better ones fit the
screwdriver like hand and glove, stay on it and maintain the
direction. The "other kind" do not, they wiggle out and are a huge
pain to use to start holes in awkward positions, etc.

It is not really magic and it is clear why this is the case -- the
philips hole on the better ones is deeper and has a better fit.

My question is, rather, what is that mating called, if I order wood
screws online at mcMaster-Carr, what should I be looking for?

For all kinds of fastener info:

http://www.mcfeelys.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Ignoramus6479 wrote:
There are two kinds of Philips wood screws. The better ones fit the
screwdriver like hand and glove, stay on it and maintain the
direction. The "other kind" do not, they wiggle out and are a huge
pain to use to start holes in awkward positions, etc.

It is not really magic and it is clear why this is the case -- the
philips hole on the better ones is deeper and has a better fit.

My question is, rather, what is that mating called, if I order wood
screws online at mcMaster-Carr, what should I be looking for?

"Phillips" is a definitive callout for the drive.
I've been spec'ing industrial quality Phillips
machine screws for 25 years and never seen one
that didn't fit the driver tight.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Ignoramus6479 wrote:
There are two kinds of Philips wood screws. The better ones fit the
screwdriver like hand and glove, stay on it and maintain the
direction. The "other kind" do not, they wiggle out and are a huge
pain to use to start holes in awkward positions, etc.

It is not really magic and it is clear why this is the case -- the
philips hole on the better ones is deeper and has a better fit.

My question is, rather, what is that mating called, if I order wood
screws online at mcMaster-Carr, what should I be looking for?

There are a LOT more than two cross drive types.
Phillips, Frearson, Posi-drive, Supadriv, are just a few.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 27 May 2011 17:19:59 -0500, Ignoramus6479
wrote:

There are two kinds of Philips wood screws. The better ones fit the
screwdriver like hand and glove, stay on it and maintain the
direction. The "other kind" do not, they wiggle out and are a huge
pain to use to start holes in awkward positions, etc.

It is not really magic and it is clear why this is the case -- the
philips hole on the better ones is deeper and has a better fit.

My question is, rather, what is that mating called, if I order wood
screws online at mcMaster-Carr, what should I be looking for?

============
Sounds like you may be fighting the Pozidriv v Phillips wars
all over again.
see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives
snip
Phillips drivers have an intentional angle on the flanks and
rounded corners so they will cam out of the slot before a
power tool will twist off the screw head. The Pozidriv
screws and drivers have straight sided flanks.

The Pozidriv screwdriver and screws are also visually
distinguishable from Phillips by the second set of
cross-like features set 45 degrees from the cross. The
manufacturing process for Pozidriv screwdrivers is slightly
more complex. The Phillips driver has four simple slots cut
out of it, whereas in the Pozidriv each slot is the result
of two machining processes at right angles. The result of
this is that the arms of the cross are parallel-sided with
the Pozidriv, and tapered with the Phillips.

This design is intended to decrease the likelihood that the
Pozidriv screwdriver will slip out, provide a greater
driving surface, and decrease wear.[8] The chief
disadvantage of Pozidriv screws is that they are visually
quite similar to Phillips, thus many people are unaware of
the difference or do not own the correct drivers for them,
and use incorrect screwdrivers. This results in difficulty
with removing the screw and damage to the slot, rendering
any subsequent use of a correct screwdriver unsatisfactory.
Phillips screwdrivers will fit in and turn Pozidriv screws,
but will cam out if enough torque is applied, potentially
damaging the screw head. The marker lines on a Pozidriv
screwdriver will not fit a Phillips screw correctly, and are
likely to slip or tear out the screw head.
snip

http://www.hafele.com/us/services/ha...brary/4300.htm

posidrv bits and screwdrivers

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...9b5lg08 cku_b
http://www.jjscrewdriverbits.com/
http://www.mcfeelys.com/pozidrive-bit
http://www.wihatools.com/700seri/712serie.htm
and a whole bunch more

Let the group know what you find as there are most likely
others with the same problem.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Ignoramus6479" wrote in message
There are two kinds of Philips wood screws. The better ones fit the
screwdriver like hand and glove, stay on it and maintain the
direction. The "other kind" do not, they wiggle out and are a huge
pain to use to start holes in awkward positions, etc.

It is not really magic and it is clear why this is the case -- the
philips hole on the better ones is deeper and has a better fit.

My question is, rather, what is that mating called, if I order wood
screws online at mcMaster-Carr, what should I be looking for?

Mating with a Phillips head screw is called
"Using the right size driver bit"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/27/2011 5:19 PM, Ignoramus6479 wrote:
There are two kinds of Philips wood screws. The better ones fit the
screwdriver like hand and glove, stay on it and maintain the
direction. The "other kind" do not, they wiggle out and are a huge
pain to use to start holes in awkward positions, etc.

It is not really magic and it is clear why this is the case -- the
philips hole on the better ones is deeper and has a better fit.

My question is, rather, what is that mating called, if I order wood
screws online at mcMaster-Carr, what should I be looking for?

As others have pointed out, you are probably not using the correct
driver on the what you assume may be a Phillips head screw.

Drop that style screw altogether and use square head drive screws. I
switched over 25 years ago.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Ignoramus6479 wrote:
There are two kinds of Philips wood screws. The better ones fit the
screwdriver like hand and glove, stay on it and maintain the
direction. The "other kind" do not, they wiggle out and are a huge
pain to use to start holes in awkward positions, etc.

It is not really magic and it is clear why this is the case -- the
philips hole on the better ones is deeper and has a better fit.

My question is, rather, what is that mating called, if I order wood
screws online at mcMaster-Carr, what should I be looking for?

To begin with get your wood screws from McFeeleys.
That will solve all your problems.
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Pete C. wrote:

For all kinds of fastener info:

http://www.mcfeelys.com

...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 27 May 2011 17:40:24 -0500, CaveLamb wrote:

Ignoramus6479 wrote:
There are two kinds of Philips wood screws. The better ones fit the
screwdriver like hand and glove, stay on it and maintain the
direction. The "other kind" do not, they wiggle out and are a huge
pain to use to start holes in awkward positions, etc.

It is not really magic and it is clear why this is the case -- the
philips hole on the better ones is deeper and has a better fit.

My question is, rather, what is that mating called, if I order wood
screws online at mcMaster-Carr, what should I be looking for?

Are you sure you are not including "cross head" with "Phillips"?

Are you sure you're not confusing "posidriv" with "cross head"? ;-)
Cross-head *is* a Phillips head.

http://inventors.about.com/od/sstart...ewdriver_2.htm

Posidriv looks sorta like it but has the additional radial markings to
differentiate the Posidriv head.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_F._Phillips
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Ignoramus6479 wrote:
[...]

Also he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozidriv#Pozidriv

Erik

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

CaveLamb wrote:
Erik wrote:

wrote:

Ignoramus6479 wrote:
[...]

Actually, I think I was thinking of the Reed and Prince...
It requires a special screw driver.

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 27 May 2011 22:30:59 -0700, Erik wrote:

Also he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozidriv#Pozidriv

Erik

Thanks! Some there Id never seen before!

Gunner, who loves Robertson screws and used them solely when running an
alarm company for nearly 2 decades.

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

CaveLamb wrote:

Ignoramus6479 wrote:
There are two kinds of Philips wood screws. The better ones fit
the screwdriver like hand and glove, stay on it and maintain the
direction. The "other kind" do not, they wiggle out and are a huge
pain to use to start holes in awkward positions, etc. It is not
really magic and it is clear why this is the case -- the philips
hole on the better ones is deeper and has a better fit. My
question is, rather, what is that mating called, if I order wood
screws online at mcMaster-Carr, what should I be looking for?

Are you sure you are not including "cross head" with "Phillips"?

Or pozidriv , they look similar but are a far better screw for head
grip , u need the correct bits though
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Ignoramus6479" wrote in message

There are two kinds of Philips wood screws. The better ones fit the
screwdriver like hand and glove, stay on it and maintain the
direction. The "other kind" do not, they wiggle out and are a huge
pain to use to start holes in awkward positions, etc.

If you were smart, you would get the square drive or better yet, the Torx
drive ceramic coated screws. Run in easy and do not break or strip easily.
I have left the easy stripping phillips head screws in my past, thankfully,
forever.

-- Jim in NC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
news
CaveLamb wrote:
Erik wrote:

wrote:

Ignoramus6479 wrote:
[...]

I was wondering when someone might mention those. They were used on the
Nike missile airframe. The screwdrivers have a pointed nose as opposed to
the slightly rounded nose of a conventional Phillips.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

In article ,
Ignoramus6479 wrote:

There are two kinds of Philips wood screws. The better ones fit the
screwdriver like hand and glove, stay on it and maintain the
direction. The "other kind" do not, they wiggle out and are a huge
pain to use to start holes in awkward positions, etc.

It is not really magic and it is clear why this is the case -- the
philips hole on the better ones is deeper and has a better fit.

My question is, rather, what is that mating called, if I order wood
screws online at mcMaster-Carr, what should I be looking for?

As many others have noted, there are lots of screw types that look like
Phillips, and one must match screw to screwdriver.

The issue I suspect was that people needed to avoid Phillips patents. I
have an old #2 Phillips drive that is marked as being licensed under US
patent 2,507,231. I bought the driver in the late 1960s in Baltimore.
I'm pretty sure it was made by Stanley, from the day when they made the
best tools.

For instance, there is a Japanese standard that is visually identical to
Phillips, but the drivers are not interchangable, so if one worked on
much Japanese-built equipment, one got Japanese screwdrivers. This was
particularly true of cameras and optics.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 May 2011 03:03:49 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote:

On Fri, 27 May 2011 22:30:59 -0700, Erik wrote:

Also he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozidriv#Pozidriv

Erik

Thanks! Some there Id never seen before!

Gunner, who loves Robertson screws and used them solely when running an
alarm company for nearly 2 decades.

Robertson is certainly an improvement over Phillips. I prefer Torx, but
they're usually more expensive. Anthing larger than about a #8x3 I usually
spring for them, though. I don't use all that many so the extra cost isn't
great.

Gunner Asch

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

[...]

Good post. Here in the UK a lot of us use pozidriv exclusively.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On May 27, 6:19*pm, Ignoramus6479
wrote:
There are two kinds of Philips wood screws. The better ones fit the
screwdriver like hand and glove, stay on it and maintain the
direction. The "other kind" do not, they wiggle out and are a huge
pain to use to start holes in awkward positions, etc.

It is not really magic and it is clear why this is the case -- the
philips hole on the better ones is deeper and has a better fit.

My question is, rather, what is that mating called, if I order wood
screws online at mcMaster-Carr, what should I be looking for?

Better drivers, Philips or straight, are hollow ground to
prevent camout. You'll never see a wedge-ground straight
tip for a power driver. Worn wedge-ground drivers can
be hollow ground for the same benefit.

Trivia -- the Philips in Sony-Philips, who invented the
CD, is the same company that invented both the
Philips driver and the compact audio cassette.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 27, 8:45*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 5/27/2011 5:19 PM, Ignoramus6479 wrote:

There are two kinds of Philips wood screws. The better ones fit the
screwdriver like hand and glove, stay on it and maintain the
direction. The "other kind" do not, they wiggle out and are a huge
pain to use to start holes in awkward positions, etc.

It is not really magic and it is clear why this is the case -- the
philips hole on the better ones is deeper and has a better fit.

My question is, rather, what is that mating called, if I order wood
screws online at mcMaster-Carr, what should I be looking for?

As others have pointed out, you are probably not using the correct
driver on the what you assume may be a Phillips head screw.

Drop that style screw altogether and use square head drive screws. *I
switched over 25 years ago.

For construction, they're great. For fine work,
Philips (or even slotted) head screws look better.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/28/2011 4:26 PM, Father Haskell wrote:
[...]

For fine work I don't let screws show if at all possible.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Den 28-05-2011 23:24, Father Haskell skrev:
On May 27, 6:19 pm,
wrote:
There are two kinds of Philips wood screws. The better ones fit the
screwdriver like hand and glove, stay on it and maintain the
direction. The "other kind" do not, they wiggle out and are a huge
pain to use to start holes in awkward positions, etc.

It is not really magic and it is clear why this is the case -- the
philips hole on the better ones is deeper and has a better fit.

My question is, rather, what is that mating called, if I order wood
screws online at mcMaster-Carr, what should I be looking for?

Better drivers, Philips or straight, are hollow ground to
prevent camout. You'll never see a wedge-ground straight
tip for a power driver. Worn wedge-ground drivers can
be hollow ground for the same benefit.

Trivia -- the Philips in Sony-Philips, who invented the
CD, is the same company that invented both the
Philips driver and the compact audio cassette.

That is not true.
Here you have the true story of the name:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_F._Phillips

--
Uffe Bærentsen
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 May 2011 14:26:40 -0700 (PDT), Father Haskell
wrote:

[...]

I don't find trim-head screws with a #1 Robertson head any more
objectionable than other screws. Slotted? Ick! I suppose you line
up all the slots, too. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:
There are two kinds of Philips wood screws. The better ones fit the
screwdriver like hand and glove, stay on it and maintain the
direction. The "other kind" do not, they wiggle out and are a huge
pain to use to start holes in awkward positions, etc.

It is not really magic and it is clear why this is the case -- the
philips hole on the better ones is deeper and has a better fit.

My question is, rather, what is that mating called, if I order wood
screws online at mcMaster-Carr, what should I be looking for?

Better drivers, Philips or straight, are hollow ground to
prevent camout. You'll never see a wedge-ground straight
tip for a power driver. Worn wedge-ground drivers can
be hollow ground for the same benefit.

Trivia -- the Philips in Sony-Philips, who invented the
CD, is the same company that invented both the
Philips driver and the compact audio cassette.

Really?

http://www.phillips-screw.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Interesting. And, the wiki gives the other patent number.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Here you have the true story of the name:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_F._Phillips

--
Uffe Bærentsen- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the clarification.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

up all the slots, too. *;-)- Hide quoted text -

Which would you prefer for setting hinges?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 28, 5:29*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
[...]

For fine work I don't let screws show if at all possible.- Hide quoted text -

That's a decision I've made many, many times thanks
to HD's monopolization and complete ****over of U.S.
hardware quality. Still, some projects are always going
to have visible screwheads somewhere, such as the
tiny #3 Philips screws used just about everywhere
on guitars.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 May 2011 20:30:58 -0700 (PDT), Father Haskell
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I don't think it would matter much, except it would *not* be slotted. If
you're talking about interior door hinges, given a choice, I'd probably use
Torx (exterior, certainly).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

FWIW, Phillips also developed Pozidrive and several other screw heads.
They have a web site at http://www.phillips-screw.com/contact.htm.

Also, the big Dutch electronics company spells it with one "l", the
screw manufacturer with two.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

In article ocal,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

Probably a trademark issue, and the Dutch outfit was always Philips.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
[...]

Hmm. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer the little square.
I think the Robertson screws may have acquired a bad reputation because they
were used extensively in "production" cabinetry.
People thought if a cabinet had "square head" screws it must have come off a
production line. que no?

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
Uffe Bærentsen wrote:
Den 28-05-2011 23:24, Father Haskell skrev:

Trivia -- the Philips in Sony-Philips, who invented the
CD, is the same company that invented both the
Philips driver and the compact audio cassette.

That is not true.
Here you have the true story of the name:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_F._Phillips

Interesting. And, the wiki gives the other patent number.

FWIW, Phillips also developed Pozidrive and several other screw heads.
They have a web site at http://www.phillips-screw.com/contact.htm.

Also, the big Dutch electronics company spells it with one "l", the
screw manufacturer with two.

I was kind of surprised to find that Terrance's pal Phillip has two "L"s.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

In article ocal,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:
[...]

I think it's a matter of being founded by Gerard Philips vs Henry
Phillips.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 29, 3:54*pm, "Max" wrote:
[...]

Max- Hide quoted text -

I like my work to look at least 40 years old. Traditional
finishes such as shellac or linseed oil are a start. Hardware
is the crowning touch, so no screw heads that you wouldn't
find on something 4 decades old.

Philips Wood screws Larry Jaques[_4_] Metalworking 4 May 29th 11 04:35 AM
wood screws [email protected] Woodworking 8 November 23rd 08 12:02 AM
Wood Screws JB Jumpback Woodworking 13 November 17th 08 06:03 PM
Using sheet metal, particle board, or drywall screws in wood, and help finding source for black wood screws John2005 Woodworking 10 June 19th 06 04:35 PM
Loctite for wood screws? [email protected] Woodworking 9 April 29th 06 07:22 PM