Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Salvaging a Garage door torsion-spring

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 17:42:54 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:

Toledo Ohio about late 1960s we'd get an "all you can drag to the
curb day" a few times a year. Folks would be out all night cruising
neighborhoods with a kid hanging out a window spotlighting the curb.

I do that in 2011. Here it's called "Heavy Trash" day (sometimes "Yard
Waste" day).

We call it Wednesday. ;-)

And I call my excursion "foraging."

Posted to rec.woodworking

ng.com...
On 2011-04-06 00:05:23 -0400, "Lobby Dosser" said:

Our dump won't take fluorescent bulbs or paint; they have to go to a
special central recycling center.

If it's latex, all that's required here for trash pick up is that you dump
enough cat litter in the can that the paint's no longer liquid.

They apparently really Do something with the paint here.

When I lived in VT, they'd mix it all together and sell it as a "custom" color
(usually an ultra-drab brown muck). ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 18:44:08 -0400, Bill wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 01:29:15 -0400, wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:
wrote in message
.com...
Bill wrote:
I just happen to have this 32" torsion spring with a 2" i.d. left over
from an obvious home repair. I placed it in the garbage, at first,
but I retrieved it--in case it may be valuable! ; )

Seriously, is it material suitable for making any sort of wood cutter?
If it is, I think I can get a lot of 'em out of the spring!

Maybe you could make some sort of catapult and use it for disposing of
things the trash men won't take. Like dead cats

That's what the beefy plastic bags are made for ...

For disguising the cats or as freezer bags? What about the tail? ; )

There's an idea. Triplebag the dead cats in your freezer, putting
them out only the night before pickup so they don't give themselves
away by smelling up the can.

LOL - How many do you have???

I don't have any cats and I have never done that.

But recently, I've noticed that lovely smell of cat urine in my
driveway once again. Some male is ****in' on my hedge again. Grrrrrrr!
So, I'm thinking about it.

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 23:30:34 -0400, Steve

On 2011-04-06 00:05:23 -0400, "Lobby Dosser" said:

Our dump won't take fluorescent bulbs or paint; they have to go to a
special central recycling center.

If it's latex, all that's required here for trash pick up is that you
dump enough cat litter in the can that the paint's no longer liquid.

It's better to take it to the recycling center for use. The downtowns
use it for painting over grafitti, a VERY worth cause.

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 18:36:50 -0400, Bill wrote:

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, wrote:
I just happen to have this 32" torsion spring with a 2" i.d. left over
from an obvious home repair. I placed it in the garbage, at first, but
I retrieved it--in case it may be valuable! ; )

Seriously, is it material suitable for making any sort of wood cutter?
If it is, I think I can get a lot of 'em out of the spring!

Bill

Heat it with a torch and stretch it out. Make it into
small scribes, detail knives, etc. The only difference
between spring steel and tool steel is the temper
(purple vs. straw).

That's the kind of encouragement (and information) I was after!
Thank you.

Hell, Bill, stretch it out, make it thinner, then make your own nails!

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 16:15:33 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 08:45:32 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 4/5/2011 7:45 AM, Drew Lawson wrote:
In
"Lobby writes:
wrote in message
I just happen to have this 32" torsion spring with a 2" i.d. left over
from
an obvious home repair. I placed it in the garbage, at first, but I
retrieved it--in case it may be valuable! ; )

You don't recycle where you live?

I recycle where I live, but I've never lived anywhere that the
recycling pickup/dropoff would take steel other than food cans.

I'm digging out a 6' steel pole ('70s style satellite dish post)
in the back yard, and I have no idea what I'll do with it when it
is out of the ground.

put it in the iron pile?

Throw it in a ditch?

cut it up and put it in your trash?

dig a deeper hole?

We have guys here in town who advertise that they collect all old
scrap metal, which they sell to the metal recycler. Free pickup.
See your local newspaper classified ads.

Guys that do that in the Portland area also. Problem is they don't ask
before they remove the guard rails and stop signs ....

I wonder if that idiot in the Suburban gets to keep the 100' of
railing which his vehicle processed while he was texting on the
freeway...
http://www.ridelust.com/texting-whil...ng-dont-do-it/

Holy ****, Batman!
http://www.google.com/search?q=texting+accident
Amazing! There was more than one accident.

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 22:51:13 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

ng.com...
On 2011-04-05 12:49:59 -0400, "dadiOH" said:

If you lived in central Florida you could just put it out by the street
and someone would steal it within a couple of hours. I get rid of all
sorts of stuff that way, gotta drag an old fiberglass jon boat that
someone left on my property down there pretty soon.

Things are tough all over -- today was trash day (we have recycling
pick-up every OTHER week) and I noticed a heavily-laden old Chevy pickup
truck cruising the cans on my street. Not the first time, either!

(N.B. I've got plenty of partcle board for disposable jigs from a
entertainment center somebody left on the street, too -- just not from MY
neighborhood. GRIN)

Toledo Ohio about late 1960s we'd get an "all you can drag to the curb day"
a few times a year. Folks would be out all night cruising neighborhoods with
a kid hanging out a window spotlighting the curb.

I cruised the trashcans as a kid on the Air Force base. The AF gave
the families a weight limit and they tossed all sorts of good stuff
into the trash when they moved.

My sole problem with it was that time the yellow jacket crawled into
the little teapot I got for my sister. I put it in my pocket and a
minute later, it had stung me 4 times on the inside of my upper arm
and 5 times on the ribs. Mom rushed me to the hospital in case I was
allergic and some brilliant asshole intern dunked me in a tub of ice
water. When the doctor came in he screamed "Get that kid out of the
ice RIGHT NOW! If he'd been allergic, he'd have been dead before he
got here."

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 18:36:50 -0400, wrote:

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, wrote:
I just happen to have this 32" torsion spring with a 2" i.d. left over
from an obvious home repair. I placed it in the garbage, at first, but
I retrieved it--in case it may be valuable! ; )

Seriously, is it material suitable for making any sort of wood cutter?
If it is, I think I can get a lot of 'em out of the spring!

Bill

Heat it with a torch and stretch it out. Make it into
small scribes, detail knives, etc. The only difference
between spring steel and tool steel is the temper
(purple vs. straw).

That's the kind of encouragement (and information) I was after!
Thank you.

Hell, Bill, stretch it out, make it thinner, then make your own nails!

You say that like you think I wouldn't ever do something like that... I
Can make my own fishing flies (much better than the imported ones)..I
expect my nails would be better too! They would be forged--and
formaldehyde free! ; )

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 18:44:08 -0400, wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 01:29:15 -0400, wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:
wrote in message
.com...
Bill wrote:
[...]

You need a "body bag"? (lol)

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, wrote:
I just happen to have this 32" torsion spring with a 2" i.d. left over
from an obvious home repair. I placed it in the garbage, at first, but
I retrieved it--in case it may be valuable! ; )

Seriously, is it material suitable for making any sort of wood cutter?
If it is, I think I can get a lot of 'em out of the spring!

Bill

Heat it with a torch and stretch it out. Make it into
small scribes, detail knives, etc. The only difference
between spring steel and tool steel is the temper
(purple vs. straw).

That's the kind of encouragement (and information) I was after!
Thank you.

Hell, Bill, stretch it out, make it thinner, then make your own nails!

Pssst.. Just between you and me, I think maybe "custom nails" is where
the untapped market is... Ever hammered a custom nail? :P

That ought to leave the punsters something to nail... lol.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 22:51:13 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

ing.com...
On 2011-04-05 12:49:59 -0400, "dadiOH" said:

[...]

I was in the USAF and was a medic ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

. ..

"Lobby writes:
wrote in message
[...]

Bet he had to change everything from the waist down!\

Holy ****, Batman!
http://www.google.com/search?q=texting+accident
Amazing! There was more than one accident.

Seems to recall a texting rail accident around LA.

Yeah: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,421801,00.html

and

http://www.bostoninjurylawyerblog.co...ain_crash.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 01:29:15 -0400, wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:
wrote in message
.com...
Bill wrote:
[...]

If you ever leave a vehicle in your driveway it is most likely Marking all
the tires. Oh, and all its friends ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, wrote:
I just happen to have this 32" torsion spring with a 2" i.d. left over
from an obvious home repair. I placed it in the garbage, at first, but
I retrieved it--in case it may be valuable! ; )

Seriously, is it material suitable for making any sort of wood cutter?
If it is, I think I can get a lot of 'em out of the spring!

Bill

Heat it with a torch and stretch it out. Make it into
small scribes, detail knives, etc. The only difference
between spring steel and tool steel is the temper
(purple vs. straw).

That's the kind of encouragement (and information) I was after!
Thank you.

Hell, Bill, stretch it out, make it thinner, then make your own nails!

Don't look, you'll just encourage him! LOL!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, wrote:
[...]

Yes. Still have some. IIRC, I got them from Lee Valley

Why, looky he

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,41306,41327

and, OMG he

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...306,41324&ap=1

That ought to leave the punsters something to nail... lol.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/8/2011 1:44 AM, Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, wrote:
[...]

Hah! Those are cut from round stock!!! (LOL) : )

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, wrote:
[...]

I want to see the video of you extruding your own monofilament fishing
line next. OK?

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, wrote:
[...]

I never even heard the word "extruding" before you mentioned it (but I
looked it up). Learning how to make one's own "fly-fishing line" might
make more sense (one can dispose of several twenties for that stuff). I
don't know what is involved in making monofiliment line. What do you
think: people didn't go fishing before monofilament fishing line was
EXTRUDED??? : ) If I took the blade off, I'll bet I could catch
fish with my weed-eater: Just push the button and "reel" 'em in...
easier than the fishin' magician! Add a few strings, and you could be
a fishin' musician! : ) Don't get me started... lol

Bill

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, wrote:
[...]

How about raising/growing my own fish?

BTW, I have a fish I stuffed on my old bedroom wall (my first effort at
taxidermy done when I was 13). I might have guessed I was older, except
I dated it. I hesitate to use the term "mounted" as some folks here
are easily excitable... Yep, I learned how by reading a few pages of a
book. I made an wooden oval panel to glue it to using a coping saw, a
rasp and sandpaper, and some blue paint I found in the garage. A few
streaks of paint across the fish, a few coats of varnish, a
suitably-sized lightbulb in his eye socket, and he/she still looks like
a fairly healthy (big) bluegill some thirty-some years later... I
didn't stop at the fish, but this is a good place to wind this up. If
anything made an impression on me, and it still does, it's that the
instructions to do stuff like that is sitting on the shelf of the
library. Pretty cool (the library, now known as Google books, et. al.)

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 23:52:47 -0400, Bill wrote:

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, wrote:
[...]

Bill, seriously, custom nailmaking could be a decent-paying
profession. Look at the price of handmade nails. They're hard to find
and expensive when you do find them.

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 23:52:47 -0400, wrote:

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I wonder what they would give me to pound out a few at one of
those "pioneer parks" displaying the ways of old-time living. They might
even feed and clothe me! Don't think I would pass up the chance to
make use of a forge and anvil if it were offered! ; )

Bill

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, wrote:
[...]

HAH!

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...306,41324&ap=1

--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, wrote:
[...]

Yep, looks like someone beat me to it... "A day late and a dollar
short..." : )
Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, wrote:
[...]

I think most of 'em are entirely volunteer. The Antique Steam and Gas
Engine Museum in Vista, CA (where I used to live) was volunteer except
for a few admin personnel. http://www.agsem.com/

Don't think I would pass up the chance to
make use of a forge and anvil if it were offered! ; )

Yeah, as long as you're upwind and far enough away from the forge,
it's exciting, tiring, and filthy dirty fun. I hit a few licks (forge
welding) and have a new level of respect for blacksmiths. What
surprises me is that I seldom see earplugs or muffs on these guys.
That's noisyass work, fellas!

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
"Bill" wrote in message

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, wrote:
[...]

My story was a day early and about $1,000,000 short in software development
and, unfortunately, had most of my brilliant ideas while working for stuffy
companies. )

--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, wrote:
[...]

I think the folks at Williamsburg are paid.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 23:52:47 -0400, wrote:

I think most of 'em are entirely volunteer.

I think the folks at Williamsburg are paid.

I quote the rule, you the exception. OK. Go for it.

You and Bill are gonna be _rich_!

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, *wrote:
[...]

From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.- Hide quoted text -

One man's noise is another man's music. Nothing
takes you back in time like the sound of a 2 lb hammer
on an anvil.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, * wrote:
[...]

From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.- Hide quoted text -

In a flask, tank, bathtub, etc., add equal parts 1,6 hexanediamine
and sebacoyl chloride without mixing. The nylon 66 forms as a
boundary layer dividing the two. Create your mono line by drawing
the nylon around a pencil or glass rod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ihpZhCj6k

Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, wrote:
[...]

You 'think' you quote the rule.

--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 00:25:03 -0400, Bill wrote:

I just happen to have this 32" torsion spring with a 2" i.d. left over
from an obvious home repair. I placed it in the garbage, at first, but
I retrieved it--in case it may be valuable! ; )

Seriously, is it material suitable for making any sort of wood cutter?
If it is, I think I can get a lot of 'em out of the spring!

Bill

I've used garage door spring to make strikers. Older springs are more likely to
be bigger in diameter. Modern metallurgy has let them cut down on the diameter
of the metal. You can always upset it if you need more diameter.

One spring makes a good many strikers at 5-6 inches of steel each. I made a lot
of the CF type in the link below for Boy Scouts and to trade in years past. I
would expect it would make good turnscrews, chisels and knives, but limited in
size due to the diameter. It is overkill for S-hooks for fire iron sets where
mild steel is sufficient.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego...11&styleID=423

Disclaimer - no affiliation with Track, except as a satisfied customer.

Regards,
Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking

Roy wrote:
On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 00:25:03 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Very interesting. Lots of folks around here don't seem to appreciate
"extra work" the way you and I do! Extra work, the stuff they don't pay
ya for: it makes time timeless.

Bill