Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Salvaging a Garage door torsion-spring

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 22:58:13 -0400, Bill wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 23:52:47 -0400, wrote:

Bill wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 18:36:50 -0400, wrote:

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, wrote:
I just happen to have this 32" torsion spring with a 2" i.d. left over
from an obvious home repair. I placed it in the garbage, at first, but
I retrieved it--in case it may be valuable! ; )

Seriously, is it material suitable for making any sort of wood cutter?
If it is, I think I can get a lot of 'em out of the spring!

Bill

Heat it with a torch and stretch it out. Make it into
small scribes, detail knives, etc. The only difference
between spring steel and tool steel is the temper
(purple vs. straw).

That's the kind of encouragement (and information) I was after!
Thank you.

Hell, Bill, stretch it out, make it thinner, then make your own nails!

Pssst.. Just between you and me, I think maybe "custom nails" is where
the untapped market is... Ever hammered a custom nail? :P

That ought to leave the punsters something to nail... lol.

Bill, seriously, custom nailmaking could be a decent-paying
profession. Look at the price of handmade nails. They're hard to find
and expensive when you do find them.

Yeah, I wonder what they would give me to pound out a few at one of
those "pioneer parks" displaying the ways of old-time living. They might
even feed and clothe me!

I think most of 'em are entirely volunteer. The Antique Steam and Gas
Engine Museum in Vista, CA (where I used to live) was volunteer except
for a few admin personnel. http://www.agsem.com/

Don't think I would pass up the chance to
make use of a forge and anvil if it were offered! ; )

Yeah, as long as you're upwind and far enough away from the forge,
it's exciting, tiring, and filthy dirty fun. I hit a few licks (forge
welding) and have a new level of respect for blacksmiths. What
surprises me is that I seldom see earplugs or muffs on these guys.
That's noisyass work, fellas!

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.