Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Salvaging a Garage door torsion-spring

On Apr 8, 5:03*pm, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 23:38:48 -0400, Bill wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 18:36:50 -0400, *wrote:

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, * wrote:
I just happen to have this 32" torsion spring with a 2" i.d. left over
from an obvious home repair. *I placed it in the garbage, at first, but
I retrieved it--in case it may be valuable! *; )

Seriously, is it material suitable for making any sort of wood cutter?
If it is, I think I can get a lot of 'em out of the spring!

Bill

Heat it with a torch and stretch it out. *Make it into
small scribes, detail knives, etc. *The only difference
between spring steel and tool steel is the temper
(purple vs. straw).

That's the kind of encouragement (and information) I was after!
Thank you.

Hell, Bill, stretch it out, make it thinner, then make your own nails!

You say that like you think I wouldn't ever do something like that... I
Can make my own fishing flies (much better than the imported ones)..I
expect my nails would be better too! *They would be forged--and
formaldehyde free! ; )

I want to see the video of you extruding your own monofilament fishing
line next. *OK?

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.- Hide quoted text -

In a flask, tank, bathtub, etc., add equal parts 1,6 hexanediamine
and sebacoyl chloride without mixing. The nylon 66 forms as a
boundary layer dividing the two. Create your mono line by drawing
the nylon around a pencil or glass rod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7ihpZhCj6k