Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Salvaging a Garage door torsion-spring

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 18:36:50 -0400, wrote:

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 5, 12:25 am, wrote:
I just happen to have this 32" torsion spring with a 2" i.d. left over
from an obvious home repair. I placed it in the garbage, at first, but
I retrieved it--in case it may be valuable! ; )

Seriously, is it material suitable for making any sort of wood cutter?
If it is, I think I can get a lot of 'em out of the spring!

Bill

Heat it with a torch and stretch it out. Make it into
small scribes, detail knives, etc. The only difference
between spring steel and tool steel is the temper
(purple vs. straw).

That's the kind of encouragement (and information) I was after!
Thank you.

Hell, Bill, stretch it out, make it thinner, then make your own nails!

You say that like you think I wouldn't ever do something like that... I
Can make my own fishing flies (much better than the imported ones)..I
expect my nails would be better too! They would be forged--and
formaldehyde free! ; )

--
From the Book of Aussie Bush Etiquette:

Never tow another car using pantyhose and duct tape.