Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Salvaging a Garage door torsion-spring

Roy wrote:
On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 00:25:03 -0400, wrote:

I just happen to have this 32" torsion spring with a 2" i.d. left over
from an obvious home repair. I placed it in the garbage, at first, but
I retrieved it--in case it may be valuable! ; )

Seriously, is it material suitable for making any sort of wood cutter?
If it is, I think I can get a lot of 'em out of the spring!

Bill

I've used garage door spring to make strikers. Older springs are more likely to
be bigger in diameter. Modern metallurgy has let them cut down on the diameter
of the metal. You can always upset it if you need more diameter.

One spring makes a good many strikers at 5-6 inches of steel each. I made a lot
of the CF type in the link below for Boy Scouts and to trade in years past. I
would expect it would make good turnscrews, chisels and knives, but limited in
size due to the diameter. It is overkill for S-hooks for fire iron sets where
mild steel is sufficient.

Very interesting. Lots of folks around here don't seem to appreciate
"extra work" the way you and I do! Extra work, the stuff they don't pay
ya for: it makes time timeless.

Bill

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Catego...11&styleID=423

Disclaimer - no affiliation with Track, except as a satisfied customer.

Regards,
Roy