Charlie Self

Default AOL admin address

I think things are going to very soon dribble to a stop with me and AOL.
Checked a bank statement today, and no matter how I work it, AOL has managed
to overcharge me by $34.20. Trying to get a sensible answer out of the "help"
person on line "Chat for Free" is about as useful as teats on a broom handle,
with him telling me what my monthly charges are, what my monthly use is, the
reason they charged for two months in one month, and on. He could, he said,
find no payment for $120.90, implying, I guess, it was my fault. Or I inferred
that. Direct withdrawal from my bank, though, shows the payment, which has to
be initiated by AOL.

He can give an explanation for the rest, and did so in as obtuse a manner as
possible, while still insulting my intelligence.

So I gave up, told him thanks for not much, and tried the phone number. I
honestly believe that's an endless loop, as the same message was repeated and
repeated and repeated ad infinitum over a 35 minute period while some nasal
female who can't carry a tune blasted my eardrums in the interims. At the 35
minute mark, I hung up because there had been no sign of life, intelligent or
otherwise, in that time.

So, it is time to write directly to AOL. Thing is, finding their office address
is not exactly simple. I just wondered if anyone on the rec has some guidance
there. Google gives so many hits I could be 3 days sorting them out.

I need to find a saner reference source and just retain AOL at minimum cost for
the year or so it will take to clear everything off. But that has to wait until
I get moved. I want a local place, if possible. Somewhere I can go scream in
the proprieter's face when he/she screws things up, as he/she will, as that's a
given when working on anything with computers.

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary

Leon

I used AOL for several years and feel that it had become the "MCI" of
internet providers.

J. Clarke

Charlie Self wrote:

[...]

To find the business address for a company that is listed on a US stock
exchange go to http://www.sec.gov and plug the name into EDGAR. You'll
get a list of possible hits, pick the one you want, and the business and
mailing addresses will be at the top of the page. Those filings are
required by Federal law and they're required to be amended when they
change.

If you need the names of the officers then look for the "10-K" and "10-K/A"
which would contain amendments including new officers.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
js

very very simple to get ahold of them. Stop payment on it. next time they
try to take it out, they will be blocked, and THEY will call YOU. then you
keep them on hold for 35 minutes, then let em have it with both barrels.

Works great for the cable company.

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
[...]

Bob

Charlie,

AOL has been raked over the coals several times about not being able to
discontinue service properly and for their financial and billing practices.
Contact your local Attorney Generals office, Consumer Affairs division and
file a complaint. In NY, you can do it over the phone and on the internet.
Both times that I had to resort to that action, I got quick, satisfactory
results (amazingly enough...). The companies called me to correct the
problems after being contacted by Consumer Affairs.

When dealing with AOL (Time Warner) you need a big gun to get their
attention. Use the one you've been paying for in your state taxes... it
even works sometimes.

Bob S.

[...]

Charlie Self

J. Clarke responds:

[...]

Just what I need, I think.

Thanks,

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary

Charlie Self

js responds:

very very simple to get ahold of them. Stop payment on it. next time they
try to take it out, they will be blocked, and THEY will call YOU. then you
keep them on hold for 35 minutes, then let em have it with both barrels.

Works great for the cable company.

Not going to work. I need the address book, bookmarks, etc. for my work. I also
use the email bit to ship articles and photos to editors. I stop payment, they
stop access. I'm still the one in the barrel.

That's why there's a change a-coming.

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary

Charlie Self

Bob responds:

AOL has been raked over the coals several times about not being able to
discontinue service properly and for their financial and billing practices.
Contact your local Attorney Generals office, Consumer Affairs division and
file a complaint. In NY, you can do it over the phone and on the internet.
Both times that I had to resort to that action, I got quick, satisfactory
results (amazingly enough...). The companies called me to correct the
problems after being contacted by Consumer Affairs.

When dealing with AOL (Time Warner) you need a big gun to get their
attention. Use the one you've been paying for in your state taxes... it
even works sometimes.

Yeah, well...I'm in WV, not even sure there's an attorney general here (there
is, but...). And I'm moving in just over 2 weeks.

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary

RB

I've been in this fix before with other companies that provide
"service." I find that buying some stock in the company and then
contacting the Corporation's Secretary or General Counsel and asking to
speak at the next annual meeting works wonders. They really don't like
to have dirty laundry aired in front of analysts. Particularly since
you are probably not an isolated case.

I've only had to actually show up and speak at one annual meeting to get
a problem resolved. As it turned out several of the analysts there were
folks I knew from my VC days and that wasn't lost on the corporation's
management either. Problem was fixed immediately.

RB

Charlie Self wrote:
[...]

js

start backing everything up, then do it. they arent the only email provider
in the world. I am sure you have another ISP choice in your area.

I dont imagine they would just stop service if you blocked the payment, i
would certainly think they would call to see what the problem is. If not,
you'll have everything backed up, and can go with a different provider with
better customer service.

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
js responds:

very very simple to get ahold of them. Stop payment on it. next time they
try to take it out, they will be blocked, and THEY will call YOU. then

you
keep them on hold for 35 minutes, then let em have it with both barrels.

Works great for the cable company.

Not going to work. I need the address book, bookmarks, etc. for my work. I

also
use the email bit to ship articles and photos to editors. I stop payment,

they
stop access. I'm still the one in the barrel.

That's why there's a change a-coming.

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose

Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary

Werlax

Charlie Self wrote:

Not going to work. I need the address book, bookmarks, etc. for my
work. I also use the email bit to ship articles and photos to
editors. I stop payment, they stop access. I'm still the one in the
barrel.

I use SaveMyFavorites and AddressMagic in order to collect the appropriate
information from AOL. I've converted a number of people with them. You
merely have to log into AOL and leave their interface up before running the
programs. Both programs will export the contents so you can import it into
another program.
You can find both programs at: http://www.connectedsw.com/
I've registered them so if you need help, let me know.
Mark

JLucas ILS

Ah a memory. AOL billed me twice in one month in the same day. Bank statement
made it look very obvious. On phone they guaranteed me that their system
couldnt do that...that it had to be a bank error. I suggested to them that the
invoice numbers were different and a few minutes apart. They once again said it
wasnt possible. I went to bank to see if a real person could make sense of it.
The very nice lady used the 800 number that was listed on the charge and got
thru fast and they apologized and reversed the charge. That was fine until AOL
reversed the charge a 2nd time several days later. I caught it but said to
myself "their problem, not mine." Wrong. They stopped my service for payment
overdue and I had to start the whole thing over again. Unfortuniately, I used
AOL fopr everything and too many people have it in their address books...and of
course AOL cannot fwd any emails. So I remain a "happy" AOL customer of 15
years. I am just waiting for AOL to reinstitute pay by the minute and not tell
anyone...but just withdraw the charge from out bank automatically. Do NOT put
it past them.
Charlie Self

jlucasils:

Unfortuniately, I used
AOL fopr everything and too many people have it in their address books...and
of
course AOL cannot fwd any emails. So I remain a "happy" AOL customer of 15
years. I am just waiting for AOL to reinstitute pay by the minute and not
tell
anyone...but just withdraw the charge from out bank automatically. Do NOT put
it past them.

Yeah. Similar. My normal billing date is the 20th of the month. This was billed
on the 4th. They have no record of such a billing or payment, yet my bank has a
record of the payment to them, which cannot be released without them billing.

I have been with them pretty close to 15 years. I'll changing to something else
once I get back to Virginia and have time to check availability. Probably take
me 2-3 months to get that running right, and to move stuff from AOL, which I
will then keep on minimum pay for about a year to make sure all that is coming
in gets to me.

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary

Charlie Self

Werlax responds:

I use SaveMyFavorites and AddressMagic in order to collect the appropriate
information from AOL. I've converted a number of people with them. You
merely have to log into AOL and leave their interface up before running the
programs. Both programs will export the contents so you can import it into
another program.
You can find both programs at: http://www.connectedsw.com/

Checked them out quickly. I'll check them out more thoroughly later. That might
well solve my problem.

Thanks,

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary

James Cubby Culbertson

The sad thing is, once you disconnect from them, you'll hear from them
about 8 times a month for the next year! They called me constantly
to reconsider my dropping them. Offered all sorts of free hours and
such.
Charlie Self

Tom Watson responds:

I think things are going to very soon dribble to a stop with me and AOL.

Damn, Charlie - if'n you got out of AOL and WV in the same month -
that would be some damned fine month!

Been looking over Verizon for my new phone number down in Bedford. We'll
already have their extended calling plan, as we do here. Seems useful, then
switch to DSL when that becomes available (there are some things that are not
so good in the boonies...DSL and cable are hard to come by, though I could do
Dish, for only about $100 a month [as JOAT would say, LMAO]).

It'll take a little more time to clear everything off AOL, but at the moment,
it looks like I'm back in VA about 6/15 or so, and out of full-time AOL a
couple days later. Figure 30-45 days to finish the job.

Damned fine 2 months, shall we say.

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary

Charlie Self

Larry Jaques responds:

LJ, who knows how NUTS it is just before a move...

Yes. We drove a cargo van load of stuff to VA yesterday, round trip in one day,
about 625 miles. I was going to reload and go on back, but my wife tlaked me
out of it, for which I was very grateful a couple hours ago. I'd have been
halfway back and hunting a motel.

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary

Dave Hinz

On 27 May 2004 16:25:16 -0700, James Cubby Culbertson wrote:
The sad thing is, once you disconnect from them, you'll hear from them
about 8 times a month for the next year! They called me constantly
to reconsider my dropping them. Offered all sorts of free hours and
such.

Yup. I made the mistake of using them for exactly long enough to download
a real web browser once, on the theory that I'd cancel and they'd go away.
Their installer put all sorts of very stubborn hooks into my windows98
box (ok, it was a while ago, before I abandoned the windows world for Mac
and Linix/Unix), and they, as you say, kept calling.

Worse, they kept billing. "I do not want your service. I never wanted
your service, I tried it for an hour and didn't like it. Go away and
give me my money back." Took a long time to sort that out and, sorry
Charlie, I don't remember who I called at AOL.

Charlie Self

Dave Hinz responds:

Their installer put all sorts of very stubborn hooks into my windows98
box (ok, it was a while ago, before I abandoned the windows world for Mac
and Linix/Unix), and they, as you say, kept calling.

Worse, they kept billing. "I do not want your service. I never wanted
your service, I tried it for an hour and didn't like it. Go away and
give me my money back." Took a long time to sort that out and, sorry
Charlie, I don't remember who I called at AOL.

Well, that they won't do. Once they're cancelled, they're gone. I just instruct
may bank to refuse ANY requests for payment from them, which I will do the same
day I cancel.

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary

Greg O

"Bob" wrote in message
.. .
Charlie,

AOL has been raked over the coals several times about not being able to
discontinue service properly and for their financial and billing

practices.

Yup!!
When I dropped AOL They kept billing me, even after two phone calls to
disconnect. My credit card company seemed reluctant to help to, so I closed
the credit card account!
Greg

Charlie Self

Greg O responds:

When I dropped AOL They kept billing me, even after two phone calls to
disconnect. My credit card company seemed reluctant to help to, so I closed
the credit card account!

But that seems to be a characteristic of these companies. I've dropped 3 that
were unsuitable and in all cases have had to have the credit card company
refuse payment several times before the message got through. They all make it
as hard as possible for you to find the information that lets you quit, then
they keep billing after you quit.

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary

Norman D. Crow

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Greg O responds:

When I dropped AOL They kept billing me, even after two phone calls to
disconnect. My credit card company seemed reluctant to help to, so I

closed
the credit card account!

But that seems to be a characteristic of these companies. I've dropped 3

that
were unsuitable and in all cases have had to have the credit card company
refuse payment several times before the message got through. They all make

it
as hard as possible for you to find the information that lets you quit,

then
they keep billing after you quit.

Sort of the reverse of AT&T. They really hate to lose your business. I
finally got about halfway intelligent & quit them 3-4 mo. ago. Since then
I've received a check of about $65 every mo. The "hook" - - if I sign & cash
it, I'm automatically re-accepting AT&T as my LD carrier. I love my
shredder!

--
Nahmie
The first myth of management is that management exists.

---

BIG JOE

Yeah, well...I'm in WV, not even sure there's an attorney general here (

Really?? You can have ours. Assuming Peg can drive from Wisconsin to
West Virginia without wrecking another state owned vehicle.

Joe
Dave Hinz

On 28 May 2004 06:45:00 -0700, BIG JOE wrote:
Yeah, well...I'm in WV, not even sure there's an attorney general here (

Really?? You can have ours. Assuming Peg can drive from Wisconsin to
West Virginia without wrecking another state owned vehicle.

Now come on, she only had two drinks. How that got her to, what,
..12 was it, is a mystery.

Charlie Self

Dave Hinz responds:

On 28 May 2004 06:45:00 -0700, BIG JOE wrote:
Yeah, well...I'm in WV, not even sure there's an attorney general here (

Really?? You can have ours. Assuming Peg can drive from Wisconsin to
West Virginia without wrecking another state owned vehicle.

Now come on, she only had two drinks. How that got her to, what,
.12 was it, is a mystery.

Is she tiny? Say, 4' tall and 65 pounds?

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary

Werlax

BIG JOE wrote:
Really?? You can have ours. Assuming Peg can drive from Wisconsin to
West Virginia without wrecking another state owned vehicle.

She shouldn't have a problem since, according to her, Wisconsin is only 8
miles from West Virginia.

Greets from another 'sconsinite!
Mark

jay tuckwood address?? - ball turning plans DOC Metalworking 0 March 9th 04 01:33 AM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
email address for OT poster Rich Andrews Woodworking 0 October 1st 03 07:58 AM