Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best Wood Exterior Door Finish

Moved into the house 11 years ago.
Back exterior doors looked to be part of a fairly new remodel.
They are solid wood, framing a large glass panels, with what appears to
be a simple poly top coat that has been beaten by sun and rain and
almost completely gone near the bottom.
Yes, I've neglected. Something about a shoemaker's sons. :-)

I want something that will last the longest and withstand the sun and
rain.
I'm toying around with an epoxy product similar to this...
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004140/9248/Mirror-Coat-112-Quart-Kit.aspx
http://xrl.us/bijwr4

I've seen several applications of this and similar products and they
seem to be like virtually dipping the object in plastic. The stuff seems
to be impervious to anything, including sun and water. I wouldn't mind
spending a hundred bucks on this stuff it it's going to protect like I
think it will.

Has anyone used it in an exterior application?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/25/2011 12:00 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Check the instructions on it if you can get them. I use a lot of this
stuff for bars, tabletops, etc. and most of them say not for exterior
use. The stuff tends to yellow with age when used outside and I don't
know what else it may do.

I have a few projects that I did for outdoors and they are ok, but that
was West Marine stuff and it is for outdoor use.

Just saying it can be done, but make sure you use the right stuff.

--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Two things might influence your choice: The color of the wood and whether it
is exposed to direct sunlight. If the wood is fairly dark and in the shade,
you can't go wrong with multiple coats of spar varnish.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

[...]

Epoxy has no more innate immunity to UV than any other coating--the
manufacturer says specifically that it will yellow in exterior exposure
which implies that it doesn't have the heavy dose of UV barrier that a
coating intended for exterior use would have.

Take a look at
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...uct.do?pid=869
&familyName=AwlBrite+Clear+Gloss+Base, which is specifically intended
for exterior use under harsh conditions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

Take a look at
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...uct.do?pid=869
&familyName=AwlBrite+Clear+Gloss+Base, which is specifically intended
for exterior use under harsh conditions.

I was going to suggest urethane coatings like those used in automotive
refinishing. About as good a UV resistant coating as one can find. Several
years ago I got tired of the brass handles on two of our exterior doors
looking all tired and worn out, so I took them into the garage, buffed them
up with rubbing compound until I had them at a like-new shine, and then shot
them with clear coat. Years later, they look like the day I shot them.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/25/11 7:39 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
Has anyone used it in an exterior application?

Epoxy has no more innate immunity to UV than any other coating--the
manufacturer says specifically that it will yellow in exterior exposure
which implies that it doesn't have the heavy dose of UV barrier that a
coating intended for exterior use would have.

Take a look at
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...uct.do?pid=869
&familyName=AwlBrite+Clear+Gloss+Base, which is specifically intended
for exterior use under harsh conditions.

Thank you for actually reading my post and replying with relevant,
helpful info. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 25, 1:40*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/25/11 7:39 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Has anyone used it in an exterior application?

Epoxy has no more innate immunity to UV than any other coating--the
manufacturer says specifically that it will yellow in exterior exposure
which implies that it doesn't have the heavy dose of UV barrier that a
coating intended for exterior use would have.

Take a look at
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...uct.do?pid=869
&familyName=AwlBrite+Clear+Gloss+Base, which is specifically intended
for exterior use under harsh conditions.

Thank you for actually reading my post and replying with relevant,
helpful info. * :-)

I noticed this part from that link:
"Ten coats are recommended."

Now don't skimp and try to squeak by with only eight or nine
coats.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
[...]

I have not heard of any finish, except paint, that lasts much more than a
few years when direct sun light is involved. It will probably be a constant
problem that you will have to deal with every few years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I have not heard of any finish, except paint, that lasts much more
than a few years when direct sun light is involved. It will probably
be a constant problem that you will have to deal with every few years.

Pssst... Leon - go look at your car...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 19:53:28 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
.. .
Leon wrote:

I have not heard of any finish, except paint, that lasts much more
than a few years when direct sun light is involved. It will probably
be a constant problem that you will have to deal with every few years.

Pssst... Leon - go look at your car...

Yeah paint, right?

That shiny stuff over the paint is a clearcoat with extremely high UV
resistance.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
. ..
Leon wrote:

I have not heard of any finish, except paint, that lasts much more
than a few years when direct sun light is involved. It will probably
be a constant problem that you will have to deal with every few years.

Pssst... Leon - go look at your car...

Yeah paint, right?

That shiny stuff over the paint is a clearcoat with extremely high UV
resistance.

Which works very well over automotive paint, not wood and even with flex
agents added don't work real well as it will eventually crack. Wood moves
all the time and automotive color coat and clear coats do best on surfaces
that don't expand and contract as much as wood does. Color coated rubber
painted bumpers tend to crack in a few years if flexed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
[...]

Its been my experience that most epoxy resins are not UV resistant including
marine grade epoxy. I had a discussion once with a fellow at a gun show who
claimed he had an epoxy resin with a good UV inhibitor when I queried him
about some carbon fiber transport luggage he was using. He said they made
their own carry luggage as a counterpoint to the carbon fiber bolt on
fixtures (stocks, grips, etc) they made for various more popular firearms.
He declined my invitation to set one of his bags in my backyard for a summer
to see how it held up to the Arizona sun.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/28/11 5:21 PM, Larry Kraus wrote:

My understanding and experience is that any clear finish on wood has a
relatively short exterior life span. UV rays (direct or reflected)
degrade the wood surface through the finish, and the finish has
nothing to cling to. Additives for UV resistance may slow the damage
but it still occurs. If you can see the wood, the light is breaking
down the surface. Personally, if it is outside, I feel wood should be
painted. Life is too short to spend it refinishing doors every few
years.

FWIW, I've never seen a painted house that didn't need repainted every 5
or so years.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Exterior Wood Door Warbler Woodworking 35 January 9th 09 08:17 AM
What kind of wood for exterior door? bob self Woodworking 14 May 15th 08 11:52 PM
exterior wood door stain Woodchuck34 Woodworking 1 August 15th 06 09:40 AM
Exterior Wood Door Steve Home Repair 7 October 2nd 05 08:34 AM
Exterior door finish Duckster Woodworking 1 March 18th 05 01:21 PM