Steve

Default Exterior Wood Door

I put an addition on my house and I need to put on a door. It is an older
house, so I would like to use a wood, 9 light door. I saw the exact one I
liked at Home Depot, but it wasn't pre hung, for $150. I asked if they had
it pre hung, and they said special order for $475. They use to have a
manufacturer that would do it for $275, but they no longer carry them.
Does anyone know of a place where I could get what I want for a reasonable
price, preferably in the Baltimore area?

Thanks

BTW, I wouldn't know where to begin to frame up a door, but installing a
pre hung I have done before.
No

Its not that hard - First of all. Is the door you are looking at an
exterior door? I haven't seen exterior doors at the orange store that
were not pre-hung. Make sure it is and exterior door.

BTW - Can you wait a bit? if you are willing to wait and to drive to
Lancaster County PA (Not too far from Baltimore, under 2 hours for
sure) There is an auction Thursday October 13th in Leola PA. They will
likely have your door for a great price.

Check out http://www.wolgemuth-auction.com/Lumber.htm

I'm not affiliated but have attended and bought from them many times.
Doors go for $1 quite often when no one else is bidding for it. If you
do end up with a door that is not pre-hung its really not too big a
deal to hang it. let me know if you go, I may be there and I'll say
hello and guide you through how this auction works. Bring a truck and a
friend there are lots of good deals to be had. (Cabinets, plumbing,
electrical, sometimes tools, lumber sheet goods, tile, windows, doors
and some just regular junk)

I bought an exterior slab door (not prehung) in wood, 6 true divided
lights for $35. It probably cost me another $50 for the materials for
the jambs and threshhold and hinges. Took a bit longer to install than
prehung as well but it looks great.

i just did a 36" wood ex door . for the hinges you just lay the old
door on the new one and mark the hinge lines off the old ones and chip
them out with a wood chisle. mark the lock bolt posision on the new door
with the old one on top of it. there is a jig for 12.00 at home depot
you line up with the marks on the bolt hole and drill the bolt and knob
holes with the hole saws in the jig kit.i used a 12v portable drill... i
was wary about doing it cause i never had , but it fit right up.i used
the old hinges ,never took the hinge off the opening,just drove out the
pins.(sorry i didnt answer your question.but if you can do a prehung
door i would bet you could do that wood door job) lucas

Have you tried Lowes?

Plus hanging a door is not very hard. Even a really hard one involving
a lot of shaving of the door only take me a day. Use a router and a
router template to make the hinge mortise (I also used a corner chisel
and special centering drill bits). Exactly where in Baltimore?

Exactly what is a 9 light door?

Don Phillipson

wrote in message
ups.com...

Exactly what is a 9 light door?

Window apertures in solid doors are called
lights. Presumably a 9-light door has nine
such windows.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Sherman

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:12:03 -0500, Steve
wrote:

I put an addition on my house and I need to put on a door. It is an older
house, so I would like to use a wood, 9 light door. I saw the exact one I
liked at Home Depot, but it wasn't pre hung, for $150. I asked if they had
it pre hung, and they said special order for $475. They use to have a
manufacturer that would do it for $275, but they no longer carry them.
Does anyone know of a place where I could get what I want for a reasonable
price, preferably in the Baltimore area?

Thanks

BTW, I wouldn't know where to begin to frame up a door, but installing a
pre hung I have done before.

I suggest you consider buying a prehung door of the same size but a
cheaper model and throwing away the door. You will have to do some
adjusting with the hinges and latch, but it should go pretty quick and
be a hell of a lot easier than doing it from scratch.

Rudy

BTW, I wouldn't know where to begin to frame up a door, but installing a
pre hung I have done before.

HD sells precut 3 pce doorjamb kits..Begin there.