Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Best Wood Exterior Door Finish

-MIKE- wrote:
Moved into the house 11 years ago.
Back exterior doors looked to be part of a fairly new remodel.
They are solid wood, framing a large glass panels, with what appears
to be a simple poly top coat that has been beaten by sun and rain and
almost completely gone near the bottom.
Yes, I've neglected. Something about a shoemaker's sons. :-)

I want something that will last the longest and withstand the sun and
rain.
I'm toying around with an epoxy product similar to this...
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004140/9248/Mirror-Coat-112-Quart-Kit.aspx
http://xrl.us/bijwr4

I've seen several applications of this and similar products and they
seem to be like virtually dipping the object in plastic. The stuff
seems to be impervious to anything, including sun and water. I
wouldn't mind spending a hundred bucks on this stuff it it's going to
protect like I think it will.

Has anyone used it in an exterior application?

Two things might influence your choice: The color of the wood and whether it
is exposed to direct sunlight. If the wood is fairly dark and in the shade,
you can't go wrong with multiple coats of spar varnish.