Posted to rec.woodworking

Default JB Weld

I picked up a an old carpenters toolbox recently from a Craigslist
post because I saw a plane and a few braces in the picture.

Nothing much to speak of but there was a low angle block plane with a
slight crack on the side. I put a little pressure on it to see if it
was sturdy and it boroke off.

I don't have a low angle block plane so I thought I would fiddle with
it and see if I can get it cutting; so what to do about the repair...

I'm not going to bother trying to find someone to weld cast or try and
Braze it myself so epoxy is really the only option. If in the end it
doesn't work all I'm really out is the cost of the epoxy and a few
hours fiddling in the garage. The JB didn't even cost me anything so
that isn't even a cost if I try JB Weld.

Does JB Weld really work when gluing metal together?
Is there another epoxy that might work better?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
I picked up a an old carpenters toolbox recently from a Craigslist
post because I saw a plane and a few braces in the picture.

Nothing much to speak of but there was a low angle block plane with a
slight crack on the side. I put a little pressure on it to see if it
was sturdy and it boroke off.

I don't have a low angle block plane so I thought I would fiddle with
it and see if I can get it cutting; so what to do about the repair...

I'm not going to bother trying to find someone to weld cast or try and
Braze it myself so epoxy is really the only option. If in the end it
doesn't work all I'm really out is the cost of the epoxy and a few
hours fiddling in the garage. The JB didn't even cost me anything so
that isn't even a cost if I try JB Weld.

Does JB Weld really work when gluing metal together?
Is there another epoxy that might work better?

It'll stick for a while and then fall out. Other than braze or weld, no way
to fix it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Does JB Weld really work when gluing metal together?
Is there another epoxy that might work better?

Duuno bout JB but epoxy and maybe a small screw or two if there is
room.
Posted to rec.woodworking

From my somewhat limited experience, expoxies have a tensile strength
in the 7,000 to 9,000 psi range. Mild steel starts at about 36,000 psi.
I don't think the JB weld will work in this application. Just not
strong enough to hold those parts together when stressed.

Pete Stanaitis
--------------

Limp Arbor wrote:
I picked up a an old carpenters toolbox recently from a Craigslist
post because I saw a plane and a few braces in the picture.

Nothing much to speak of but there was a low angle block plane with a
slight crack on the side. I put a little pressure on it to see if it
was sturdy and it boroke off.

I don't have a low angle block plane so I thought I would fiddle with
it and see if I can get it cutting; so what to do about the repair...

I'm not going to bother trying to find someone to weld cast or try and
Braze it myself so epoxy is really the only option. If in the end it
doesn't work all I'm really out is the cost of the epoxy and a few
hours fiddling in the garage. The JB didn't even cost me anything so
that isn't even a cost if I try JB Weld.

Does JB Weld really work when gluing metal together?
Is there another epoxy that might work better?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 13:05:56 -0800, "CW"
wrote:

"Limp Arbor" wrote in message
[...]

Pre-heat with a rose-bud and TIG it with stainless steel wire.
Or braze it.
The stainless tig is by far the superior repair and you can make it
almost totally dissapear

Posted to rec.woodworking

spaco wrote:

I'm not going to bother trying to find someone to weld cast or try and
Braze it myself so epoxy is really the only option. If in the end it
doesn't work all I'm really out is the cost of the epoxy and a few
hours fiddling in the garage. The JB didn't even cost me anything so
that isn't even a cost if I try JB Weld.

I'd just put it in a drawer until I could fix it properly. Personally,
I'd bury it before I put JB Weld on it. Maybe you can find someone
sympathetic to the cause who would do it cheap? The (gas) welding
shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do. I go into a shop with
only the part that needed to be welded in my mind looking for a "quick
fix". Even if they offered to do it for free, I'd still give em a twenty.

Bill

Does JB Weld really work when gluing metal together?
Is there another epoxy that might work better?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
spaco wrote:

I'm not going to bother trying to find someone to weld cast or try and
Braze it myself so epoxy is really the only option. If in the end it
doesn't work all I'm really out is the cost of the epoxy and a few
hours fiddling in the garage. The JB didn't even cost me anything so
that isn't even a cost if I try JB Weld.

I'd just put it in a drawer until I could fix it properly. Personally,
I'd bury it before I put JB Weld on it. Maybe you can find someone
sympathetic to the cause who would do it cheap? The (gas) welding
shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do. I go into a shop with only
the part that needed to be welded in my mind

oops, that should be in my "hand", not mind.

looking for a "quick fix".
Even if they offered to do it for free, I'd still give em a twenty.

Bill

Does JB Weld really work when gluing metal together?
Is there another epoxy that might work better?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Bill
wrote:

spaco wrote:

I'm not going to bother trying to find someone to weld cast or try and
Braze it myself so epoxy is really the only option. If in the end it
doesn't work all I'm really out is the cost of the epoxy and a few
hours fiddling in the garage. The JB didn't even cost me anything so
that isn't even a cost if I try JB Weld.

I'd just put it in a drawer until I could fix it properly. Personally,
I'd bury it before I put JB Weld on it. Maybe you can find someone
sympathetic to the cause who would do it cheap? The (gas) welding
shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do. I go into a shop with
only the part that needed to be welded in my mind looking for a "quick
fix". Even if they offered to do it for free, I'd still give em a twenty.

Bill

Does JB Weld really work when gluing metal together?
Is there another epoxy that might work better?

I don't know where you are, but here in the SFBA you can usually pick up
a low angle plane for $5 to $15. Any cash outlay is counter economic.

CP
Posted to rec.woodworking

Pilgrim wrote:
In ,
wrote:

spaco wrote:

[...]

As long as it's not a new one.

Any cash outlay is counter economic.

There's more to life than economics.

CP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 1:53*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
I picked up a an old carpenters toolbox recently from a Craigslist
post because I saw a plane and a few braces in the picture.

Nothing much to speak of but there was a low angle block plane with a
slight crack on the side. *I put a little pressure on it to see if it
was sturdy and it boroke off.

I don't have a low angle block plane so I thought I would fiddle with
it and see if I can get it cutting; so what to do about the repair...

I'm not going to bother trying to find someone to weld cast or try and
Braze it myself so epoxy is really the only option. *If in the end it
doesn't work all I'm really out is the cost of the epoxy and a few
hours fiddling in the garage. *The JB didn't even cost me anything so
that isn't even a cost if I try JB Weld.

Does JB Weld really work when gluing metal together?
Is there another epoxy that might work better?

If the plane is actually valuable (meaning scarce):

50/50 silver/copper solder from the local jeweler's supply.
Clean the joint with an acid pickle, apply borax flux, do
the deed with a MAPP torch. Hope the casting doesn't
warp if this is your first patient.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
spaco wrote:

I'm not going to bother trying to find someone to weld cast or try and
Braze it myself so epoxy is really the only option. If in the end it
doesn't work all I'm really out is the cost of the epoxy and a few
hours fiddling in the garage. The JB didn't even cost me anything so
that isn't even a cost if I try JB Weld.

I'd just put it in a drawer until I could fix it properly. Personally, I'd
bury it before I put JB Weld on it. Maybe you can find someone
sympathetic to the cause who would do it cheap? The (gas) welding
shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do. I go into a shop with only
the part that needed to be welded in my mind looking for a "quick fix".
Even if they offered to do it for free, I'd still give em a twenty.

And waste $20 you could have spent on a user, low angle block plane on eBay.

--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
spaco wrote:

I'm not going to bother trying to find someone to weld cast or try and
Braze it myself so epoxy is really the only option. If in the end it
doesn't work all I'm really out is the cost of the epoxy and a few
hours fiddling in the garage. The JB didn't even cost me anything so
that isn't even a cost if I try JB Weld.

I'd just put it in a drawer until I could fix it properly. Personally,
I'd bury it before I put JB Weld on it. Maybe you can find someone
sympathetic to the cause who would do it cheap? The (gas) welding
shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do. I go into a shop with
only the part that needed to be welded in my mind looking for a "quick
fix". Even if they offered to do it for free, I'd still give em a twenty.

And waste $20 you could have spent on a user, low angle block plane on
eBay.

No remorse over throwing the plane at hand in the trash can, huh?
Don't worry, the government will print more twenties. They'll be worth
less than they ever were.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 11:48:18 -0500, Bill wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
spaco wrote:

[...]

Wut up wi de 'tude, dude? I it's a free fix, he retains the repaired
plane -and- can spend the $20 on another one.

A six-pack is alway appreciated at the shop, so always drop one by
when you request repairs. I give soda because I don't drink. If you
give beer, drop it by at closing time so they can legally drink it.

Win/Win

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 11:48:18 -0500, wrote:

Lobby Dosser wrote:
wrote in message
spaco wrote:

[...]

Sorry dude, no dis'n intended. I was just saddened man by that ahern
hitting the bottom of the can (man). JBing-it sounds like such a not
cool trip...not cool, not cool... Going down to shoot the ol' lady,
cause I caught her messing roun' messing round town... Heyy Joe, where
you going with that plane in your hand...

A six-pack is alway appreciated at the shop, so always drop one by
when you request repairs. I give soda because I don't drink. If you
give beer, drop it by at closing time so they can legally drink it.

Win/Win

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 11:53*pm, Father Haskell wrote:
[...]

warp if this is your first patient.- Hide quoted text -

I could just stitch it back together...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq0wf...eature=related

odd labor intensive repair.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 12:53*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
I picked up a an old carpenters toolbox recently from a Craigslist
post because I saw a plane and a few braces in the picture.

Does JB Weld really work when gluing metal together?
Is there another epoxy that might work better?

The aluminum motor/gearbox casting in my old Ryobi 12-1/4" surface
planer broke a couple of years ago. There was a small amount of metal
still holding it in place and I did a very neat application of JB and
it held together for a couple of months. The second time I cleaned up
the original JB and applied it like peanut butter in and around the
fracture. Still going strong.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 16, 3:31*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
[...]

odd labor intensive repair.- Hide quoted text -

Odd that they don't make a biscuit jointer for cast iron.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
spaco wrote:

[...]

Around here metal gets recycled.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/17/2011 2:20 AM, Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
spaco wrote:

[...]

Evidently not a GALOOT. May as well save a trip and throw the plane in
the trunk of your recyclable car. No disrespect intended, to you or the
plane.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 9:46*pm, Bill wrote:
spaco wrote:The (gas) welding shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do.

Well, is this from a fella offering to do it, or from one hoping to
get it done for free?

I have a gas setup and a stick welder - no tig etc. and have some
experience/training from Metal Shop in 1960 and some more in the
seventies watching the guys in the Auto Body Shop and my pal John and
a stretch where i manufactured the Bulletpruef Locksafe from steel
plate and pipe using the stick welder.

And, in my limited experience, no job takes "a few minutes" when I'm
working for a customer. Hell, it can tak thirty minutes just talking
about what he wants!

And, time is money. And Electricity is money, and gas, and so on and
so forth.

There is no free lunch at the Welder's Shop - save where the owner
shares you last name or you've bedded his daughter.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:

And, in my limited experience, no job takes "a few minutes" when I'm
working for a customer. Hell, it can tak thirty minutes just talking
about what he wants!

And, time is money. And Electricity is money, and gas, and so on and
so forth.

Sage advice. The jobs that only take a few minutes, only last a few
minutes. Prep time for anything that is going to last takes more than a few
minutes.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/17/2011 12:33 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Hoosierpopi wrote:

And, in my limited experience, no job takes "a few minutes" when I'm
working for a customer. Hell, it can tak thirty minutes just talking
about what he wants!

And, time is money. And Electricity is money, and gas, and so on and
so forth.

Understood. But if some poor looking high school student asked if you
could, maybe, work on it while you weren't busy, you might be willing to
do so at less than your usual rate, no?

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote:
Understood. But if some poor looking high school student asked if
you could, maybe, work on it while you weren't busy, you might be
willing to do so at less than your usual rate, no?

-----------------------
No.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:

There is no free lunch at the Welder's Shop - save where the owner
shares you last name or you've bedded his daughter.

I totally understand. Maybe the OP should try to brazing the crack using
MAPP gas. Or, he could put the plane in a drawer until he asks for the
hand of the welder's daughter!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Welder`s daughter!"

Is that the one with acetylene tits

"Bill" wrote in message ...
MAPP gas. Or, he could put the plane in a drawer until he asks for the
hand of the welder's daughter!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Josepi wrote:
"Welder`s daughter!"

Is that the one with acetylene tits

No, Tylene wasn't there. She know how to make sparks though...

"Bill" wrote in message ... MAPP gas.
Or, he could put the plane in a drawer until he asks for the hand of the
welder's daughter!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
spaco wrote:

[...]

I have user planes dating to the mid 18th century.

--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
spaco wrote:

[...]

JB-Weld will secure it. Then please put a generous amount on your keyboard.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
"Bill" wrote in message
Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
spaco wrote:

[...]

I prefer a more modern keyboard.

--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2011 3:35 AM, Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
"Bill" wrote in message
Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
spaco wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I thought maybe you were doing type-setting... : )
Posted to rec.woodworking

I read the following last night from Krenov's "The Fine Art of
Cabinetmaking", p.99, and thought of this thread:

"Otherwise we presume, as most people do, that a plane is a plane is
a plane, and leave it. This is a pity, since for a certain kind of
craftsman a plane can be more than a tool. It can be a beautiful
instrument, a joy to use. It can bring results that truly do show in the
work, the piece itself. A fine plane is a time-saver and a labor-saver;
it more than repays the care and love you give it. It is at its best a
part of you, your hands and eye and your innermost hopes as you work."

I hope that makes you want to blow your nose in that twenty dollar
bill...lol (j/k)!

BTW, I think this book is a better read than "A Cabinetmakers Notebook".
Though another poster ordered them the other way, based upon
photography and layout. I wasn't swayed by the latter features; the
author adequately gets his points across, though I encountered a bit of
a dessert in the "...Notebook". His books represent a
philosophy/attitude/religion--and I don't think you need to buy the
whole enchilada to take something away from it. Halfway through my
second book of his, I am changed--or at least affected. One may not
often see his version of spirituality that much these days--but his
words live on in the Wreck! : )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
wrote in message
I read the following last night from Krenov's "The Fine Art of
Cabinetmaking", p.99, and thought of this thread:

"Otherwise we presume, as most people do, that a plane is a plane is a
plane, and leave it. This is a pity, since for a certain kind of
craftsman a plane can be more than a tool. It can be a beautiful
instrument, a joy to use. It can bring results that truly do show in the
work, the piece itself. A fine plane is a time-saver and a labor-saver; it
more than repays the care and love you give it. It is at its best a part
of you, your hands and eye and your innermost hopes as you work."

Barf!

Learning religion is like that for some people. You have to take it
slow; don't bite off more than you can chew. Give yourself permission to
consider new thoughts and points of view...and to make mistakes.
Maybe that last part, about making mistakes, is the most important.
Maybe you should look for the books in the library in case they are not
exactly your cup of tea? ; )

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
I read the following last night from Krenov's "The Fine Art of
Cabinetmaking", p.99, and thought of this thread:

"Otherwise we presume, as most people do, that a plane is a plane is a
plane, and leave it. This is a pity, since for a certain kind of
craftsman a plane can be more than a tool. It can be a beautiful
instrument, a joy to use. It can bring results that truly do show in the
work, the piece itself. A fine plane is a time-saver and a labor-saver; it
more than repays the care and love you give it. It is at its best a part
of you, your hands and eye and your innermost hopes as you work."

I hope that makes you want to blow your nose in that twenty dollar
bill...lol (j/k)!

He was talking about a plane made by the craftsman himself, not a machine
stamped number churned out in the thousands.

--
Ever wonder why doctors, dentists and lawyers have to Practice so much? Ever
wonder why you let them Practice on You?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
I read the following last night from Krenov's "The Fine Art of
Cabinetmaking", p.99, and thought of this thread:

"Otherwise we presume, as most people do, that a plane is a plane is a
plane, and leave it. This is a pity, since for a certain kind of
craftsman a plane can be more than a tool. It can be a beautiful
instrument, a joy to use. It can bring results that truly do show in
the work, the piece itself. A fine plane is a time-saver and a
labor-saver; it more than repays the care and love you give it. It is
at its best a part of you, your hands and eye and your innermost hopes
as you work."

I hope that makes you want to blow your nose in that twenty dollar
bill...lol (j/k)!

He was talking about a plane made by the craftsman himself, not a
machine stamped number churned out in the thousands.

Yes, he wrote this following his discussion of how to make a wooden
plane. But I would say you've missed his point. He is talking about
"fine planes", period. I think he would say that most any plane can be
fettled to be a fine plane if the craftsman's passion and skill is
sufficient to make it so.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 17:05:08 -0800, "CW"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
I read the following last night from Krenov's "The Fine Art of
Cabinetmaking", p.99, and thought of this thread:

"Otherwise we presume, as most people do, that a plane is a plane is a
plane, and leave it. This is a pity, since for a certain kind of
craftsman a plane can be more than a tool. It can be a beautiful
instrument, a joy to use. It can bring results that truly do show in the
work, the piece itself. A fine plane is a time-saver and a labor-saver; it
more than repays the care and love you give it. It is at its best a part
of you, your hands and eye and your innermost hopes as you work."

Barf!

Go suck an outlet, ya Normite slug. 'Twas booful. Poetry.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London

Weld Stainless NT[_2_] UK diy 6 June 15th 09 08:13 AM
JB weld Stupendous Man Metalworking 11 November 1st 08 12:39 PM
JB Weld MOP CAP Metalworking 7 March 18th 06 04:49 PM
Cracked weld john Metalworking 19 July 9th 05 03:38 AM