Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Weld Stainless

Hi

Is there any way to weld stainless? Its a fork with a broken ss shaft.

cheers, NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
Hi

Is there any way to weld stainless? Its a fork with a broken ss shaft.

cheers, NT

Yes, Distortion can be a problem in precision applications but for your
fork this should not be a concern.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
NT wrote:
Is there any way to weld stainless? Its a fork with a broken ss shaft.

Usually with TIG. A decent local car exhaust place might be able to help -
mine did when a heatshield broke off my SS system.

--
*Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 12, 1:12*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *NT wrote:

Is there any way to weld stainless? Its a fork with a broken ss shaft.

Usually with TIG. A decent local car exhaust place might be able to help -
*mine did when a heatshield broke off my SS system.

Right, cheers. A farm arc welder would be no good?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 June, 11:35, NT wrote:

Is there any way to weld stainless? Its a fork with a broken ss shaft.

Just go for it - it's not hard, so long as you're not too fussy about
the end results

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
NT wrote:

Is there any way to weld stainless? Its a fork with a broken ss shaft.

Usually with TIG.

Right, cheers. A farm arc welder would be no good?

Well, they sell stainless rods for basic arc welders, so someone thinks
it's OK.

I welded onto some BBQ grids with a normal rod; it was fine structurally
although the SS near the weld has lost its stainless properties.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 12 June, 11:35, NT wrote:

Is there any way to weld stainless? Its a fork with a broken ss shaft.

Just go for it - it's not hard, so long as you're not too fussy about
the end results

I welded some into a mini once, not realising it was stainless ( I was young
and stupid[er] ). The welding was no problem. Then I had to drill holes for
door hinges... (

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

JB weld Stupendous Man Metalworking 11 November 1st 08 12:39 PM
Stainless Steel weld + 8mm rod strength? Harry Bloomfield UK diy 11 April 12th 07 05:26 PM
All stainless pattern weld? Can a pattern exist? John Fly Metalworking 2 September 21st 05 09:56 PM
How to weld Stainless Steel using ARCwelder Jimmy Metalworking 1 March 15th 05 05:47 PM
nano size laser weld spot size for stainless steel sheets Venky Metalworking 3 February 7th 05 04:25 PM