DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Weld Stainless (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/280179-weld-stainless.html)

NT[_2_] June 12th 09 11:35 AM

Weld Stainless

Hi

Is there any way to weld stainless? Its a fork with a broken ss shaft.

cheers, NT

Bob Minchin[_2_] June 12th 09 12:06 PM

Weld Stainless

NT wrote:
Hi

Is there any way to weld stainless? Its a fork with a broken ss shaft.

cheers, NT

Yes, Distortion can be a problem in precision applications but for your
fork this should not be a concern.

Bob

Dave Plowman (News) June 12th 09 01:12 PM

Weld Stainless

In article
,
NT wrote:
Is there any way to weld stainless? Its a fork with a broken ss shaft.

Usually with TIG. A decent local car exhaust place might be able to help -
mine did when a heatshield broke off my SS system.

--
*Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

NT[_2_] June 12th 09 02:43 PM

Weld Stainless

On Jun 12, 1:12*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *NT wrote:

Is there any way to weld stainless? Its a fork with a broken ss shaft.

Usually with TIG. A decent local car exhaust place might be able to help -
*mine did when a heatshield broke off my SS system.

Right, cheers. A farm arc welder would be no good?

NT

Andy Dingley June 12th 09 04:28 PM

Weld Stainless

On 12 June, 11:35, NT wrote:

Is there any way to weld stainless? Its a fork with a broken ss shaft.

Just go for it - it's not hard, so long as you're not too fussy about
the end results

Pete Verdon June 12th 09 04:56 PM

Weld Stainless

NT wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
NT wrote:

Is there any way to weld stainless? Its a fork with a broken ss shaft.

Usually with TIG.

Right, cheers. A farm arc welder would be no good?

Well, they sell stainless rods for basic arc welders, so someone thinks
it's OK.

I welded onto some BBQ grids with a normal rod; it was fine structurally
although the SS near the weld has lost its stainless properties.

Pete

Bob Mannix June 15th 09 08:13 AM

Weld Stainless

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 12 June, 11:35, NT wrote:

Is there any way to weld stainless? Its a fork with a broken ss shaft.

Just go for it - it's not hard, so long as you're not too fussy about
the end results

I welded some into a mini once, not realising it was stainless ( I was young
and stupid[er] ). The welding was no problem. Then I had to drill holes for
door hinges... :o(

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)