Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y

Default Workshop hoover bags and duct tape.

Have an old Hitachi vacuum cleaner that I would like to now use around the
workshop. But after having had a bagless one for a while, I'm now
reluctant to fork out £1.50 or so everytime for replacement paper bags.

I'm wondering if it's feasible to rig up some cheap substitutes for the
Hitachi paper bags, using good old duct tape and some imagination?

It wouldn't matter how rough and ready they are. Would a material from old
cotton sheets be suitable? Has anyone any experience of such a caper?

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y

On 2 Nov, 10:57, "john hamilton" wrote:
Have an old Hitachi vacuum cleaner that I would like to now use around the
workshop. * But after having had a bagless one for a while, I'm now
reluctant to fork out 1.50 or so everytime for replacement paper bags.

I'm wondering if it's feasible to rig up some cheap substitutes for the
Hitachi paper bags, using good old duct tape and some imagination?

It wouldn't matter how rough and ready they are. Would a material from old
cotton sheets be suitable? Has anyone any experience of such a caper?

What about going the whole hog and making something like this:

http://lumberjocks.com/SimonSKL/blog/10097

to suck up the bulky stuff, then jerry-rig the hoover with a large car
or lorry air filter for fine filtration?

I use a Dyson DC04 for the occasional hoovering in the shed, but if I
wanted something permanent, I'd construct something like that, not
just because I'm cheap, err, I mean for the DIY satisfaction, but also
because washing the Dyson filters each time it's been in the shed is a
bit of a pain.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y

john hamilton wrote:
Have an old Hitachi vacuum cleaner that I would like to now use
around the workshop. But after having had a bagless one for a
while, I'm now reluctant to fork out £1.50 or so everytime for
replacement paper bags.
I'm wondering if it's feasible to rig up some cheap substitutes for
the Hitachi paper bags, using good old duct tape and some imagination?

It wouldn't matter how rough and ready they are. Would a material
from old cotton sheets be suitable? Has anyone any experience of such
a caper?

Do bear in mind that on many dry only vacs, its the airflow that cools the
motor. Restrict the airflow enough with the wrong material & the motor will
burn out.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y

"john hamilton" wrote in message
Have an old Hitachi vacuum cleaner that I would like to now use around the
workshop. But after having had a bagless one for a while, I'm now
reluctant to fork out £1.50 or so everytime for replacement paper bags.

Usually, the original bags are glued at the bottom. I peeled a bag open,
trimmed off the end and re-folded. I then used a long plastic paper clamp to
keep it sealed when in use.

You could also use a couple of bulldog clips or similar.

Now you can just empty the bag when the need arises and don't have to worry
about restricted air flow / cooling etc.

Regards,

---
Virus Database (VPS): 101102-1, 02/11/2010
Tested on: 02/11/2010 18:39:58

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y

Him & Her wrote:
"john hamilton" wrote in message
Have an old Hitachi vacuum cleaner that I would like to now use
around the workshop. But after having had a bagless one for a
while, I'm now reluctant to fork out £1.50 or so everytime for
replacement paper bags.

Usually, the original bags are glued at the bottom. I peeled a bag
open, trimmed off the end and re-folded. I then used a long plastic
paper clamp to keep it sealed when in use.

You could also use a couple of bulldog clips or similar.

Now you can just empty the bag when the need arises and don't have to
worry about restricted air flow / cooling etc.

Until the bags clog up.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Him & Her wrote:
"john hamilton" wrote in message
Have an old Hitachi vacuum cleaner that I would like to now use
around the workshop. But after having had a bagless one for a
while, I'm now reluctant to fork out £1.50 or so everytime for
replacement paper bags.

Usually, the original bags are glued at the bottom. I peeled a bag
open, trimmed off the end and re-folded. I then used a long plastic
paper clamp to keep it sealed when in use.

You could also use a couple of bulldog clips or similar.

Now you can just empty the bag when the need arises and don't have to
worry about restricted air flow / cooling etc.

Until the bags clog up.

Well, yes. But ensuring you give it a damn good shake on each empty should
see you getting 10 to 15 uses out of each bag which will considerably reduce
running costs.

Regards,

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y

om...
Him & Her wrote:
"john hamilton" wrote in message
Have an old Hitachi vacuum cleaner that I would like to now use
around the workshop. But after having had a bagless one for a
while, I'm now reluctant to fork out £1.50 or so everytime for
replacement paper bags.

Usually, the original bags are glued at the bottom. I peeled a bag
open, trimmed off the end and re-folded. I then used a long plastic
paper clamp to keep it sealed when in use.

You could also use a couple of bulldog clips or similar.

Now you can just empty the bag when the need arises and don't have to
worry about restricted air flow / cooling etc.

Until the bags clog up.

Well, yes. But ensuring you give it a damn good shake on each empty should
see you getting 10 to 15 uses out of each bag which will considerably
reduce running costs.

Regards,

upright hoovers used to have a cloth bag with a large bulldog clip as
original equipment. if you use an interceptor bin the bag will take quite a
while to fill in any case. an old oil drum is ideal, you just need a couple
of holes and one extra bit of hose, it can even double as a wet pick up, I
have used one to clear out drains and then just taken the drum of
disgustingness to the tip.

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y

Make a pre-filter cyclone for it to catch the bulk of the dust - that way
the bags last ages just mopping up the very fine stuff.

http://codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/...ques/cyclones/
http://www.internode.co.uk/cyclone/

--
Cheers,

John.

Great links. I've occasionally thought about trying that myself. (I'm better
at thinking than doing).

Honeywell H23247 Micro-Filtration Vacuum Bags for Hoover Canister Vacs [email protected] Metalworking 0 May 22nd 09 02:37 AM
Package of 3 Genuine Hoover Type Y MicroFilter Bags [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 May 22nd 09 02:24 AM
Head up - VAX hoover bags Tim S UK diy 5 May 3rd 09 05:02 PM
Sealing Round Metal Duct Joints On Forced Hot Air Furnace (other than duct tape)? Robert11 Home Repair 7 April 21st 05 10:24 PM