Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y
Mrcheerful Mrcheerful is offline

Default Workshop hoover bags and duct tape.

"Him & Her" wrote in message
om...
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
Him & Her wrote:
"john hamilton" wrote in message
Have an old Hitachi vacuum cleaner that I would like to now use
around the workshop. But after having had a bagless one for a
while, I'm now reluctant to fork out £1.50 or so everytime for
replacement paper bags.

Usually, the original bags are glued at the bottom. I peeled a bag
open, trimmed off the end and re-folded. I then used a long plastic
paper clamp to keep it sealed when in use.

You could also use a couple of bulldog clips or similar.

Now you can just empty the bag when the need arises and don't have to
worry about restricted air flow / cooling etc.

Until the bags clog up.

Well, yes. But ensuring you give it a damn good shake on each empty should
see you getting 10 to 15 uses out of each bag which will considerably
reduce running costs.

Regards,

upright hoovers used to have a cloth bag with a large bulldog clip as
original equipment. if you use an interceptor bin the bag will take quite a
while to fill in any case. an old oil drum is ideal, you just need a couple
of holes and one extra bit of hose, it can even double as a wet pick up, I
have used one to clear out drains and then just taken the drum of
disgustingness to the tip.