Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hinge(s) or ???

Hinge(s) or ???

Working on a little organizer. Shaped like a simple miniature bookcase,
2 sides, 2 shelves, about 15" square with depth of 5".

It is designed to have a 'door' over the lower shelf. Such door will fit
inside the lower shelf dimensions and I am having trouble figuring what
kind of hinge(s) would be appropriate.

Thinking the 'door' *could* sorta fold into the upper part of the lower
shelf if I could gind the right hinges.

Ever see something like this that folds up kinda like the front of a
roll-top desk or certain bread-boxes? Involves mounting runners in
upper part of shelf. Know what the hinge/runners are called? I'm
brain-locked. Tried the Rockler catalog, didn't see anything that
really filled the bill.

Thx,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/2010 3:08 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:
Hinge(s) or ???

Working on a little organizer. Shaped like a simple miniature bookcase,
2 sides, 2 shelves, about 15" square with depth of 5".

It is designed to have a 'door' over the lower shelf. Such door will fit
inside the lower shelf dimensions and I am having trouble figuring what
kind of hinge(s) would be appropriate.

Thinking the 'door' *could* sorta fold into the upper part of the lower
shelf if I could gind the right hinges.

Ever see something like this that folds up kinda like the front of a
roll-top desk or certain bread-boxes? Involves mounting runners in
upper part of shelf. Know what the hinge/runners are called? I'm
brain-locked. Tried the Rockler catalog, didn't see anything that
really filled the bill.

Flipper door hinges?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/28/2010 4:44 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 10/28/2010 3:08 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:
Hinge(s) or ???

Working on a little organizer. Shaped like a simple miniature bookcase,
2 sides, 2 shelves, about 15" square with depth of 5".

It is designed to have a 'door' over the lower shelf. Such door will fit
inside the lower shelf dimensions and I am having trouble figuring what
kind of hinge(s) would be appropriate.

Thinking the 'door' *could* sorta fold into the upper part of the lower
shelf if I could gind the right hinges.

Ever see something like this that folds up kinda like the front of a
roll-top desk or certain bread-boxes? Involves mounting runners in
upper part of shelf. Know what the hinge/runners are called? I'm
brain-locked. Tried the Rockler catalog, didn't see anything that
really filled the bill.

Flipper door hinges?

Read your question again and you could also be referring to tambour doors.

You generally see these in "appliance garages" in kitchens.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 16:51:22 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Flipper door hinges?

Read your question again and you could also be referring to tambour doors.

You generally see these in "appliance garages" in kitchens.

Thanks. If they're available in small enough sizes, they will be worth
looking at.

You know hinges/guides, etc? There's one with like just a straight rod and a free-
turning nut/guide. Name??

Cheers,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Many thanks to Swingman and dadiOH for naming such doodads, steering me
in the right direction.

I'm not finding them locally (St. Louis, MO, US) but at least I know what
to ask for. Will likely order via net soon.

Danke,

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 07:14:24 -0400, "dadiOH" wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:

You know hinges/guides, etc? There's one with like just a straight
rod and a free- turning nut/guide. Name??

"Stay". Modified as in casement stay, skylight stay, desk stay...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...AAAKoEBU_QqQ1p

left hinge door, right hinge storm Cindy Hamilton[_2_] Home Repair 37 June 18th 10 08:10 PM
Hinge Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 11 July 7th 08 02:53 PM
Hinge Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 1 October 25th 06 08:28 AM
What hinge should I use? DamnYankee Woodworking 4 April 5th 06 01:55 AM
What to use as a hinge fo barry martin Home Repair 3 October 17th 04 04:28 PM