Posted to rec.woodworking
DamnYankee

Default What hinge should I use?

The project is an Entertainment Center. The doors will be mounted
using European hinges and pocket slides. That part is taken care of.
My dilema is the doors are so wide that in order to get them to
completely retract into the cabinet I had to make the doors in 2 parts
with 1 part (1/3 the width of 1 door)l folding back against the other
half. So, what hinges to use? They'll be visible whenever the doors
are open and I want door sections to fold back against each other as
flat as possible. The doors are 3/4 inch thick and I'd like the hinge
invisible when the doors are closed. Am I making this too hard and any
ole' brass hinge will work? Should I just call Lee Valley and have
them tell me what I need? (I know that works but they're closed now so
I thought I'd try here first).

Any help would be appreciated.

Bryan

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"DamnYankee" wrote in message
oups.com...
The project is an Entertainment Center. The doors will be mounted
using European hinges and pocket slides. That part is taken care of.
My dilema is the doors are so wide that in order to get them to
completely retract into the cabinet I had to make the doors in 2 parts
with 1 part (1/3 the width of 1 door)l folding back against the other
half. So, what hinges to use?

The open and close like a bi-fold door? I think I would use a Piano hinge
only attached on the back side of the doors and in a color that would not
contrast too much. You could ever paint it accordingly.