Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hinge

I want to have a flush fitting 'secret' door into a cupboard. Not very
large - only about 2 x 2 ft - but with as close gaps as I can manage. And
would like concealed hinges. So something like a car door. The hinges need
to fit to the side of the cupboard. I'd also like to use one of those
push/push to latch/unlatch fittings - if they are still available - not
seen them in the sheds for ages.

--
*Dance like nobody's watching.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-07 10:10:16 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

I want to have a flush fitting 'secret' door into a cupboard. Not very
large - only about 2 x 2 ft - but with as close gaps as I can manage. And
would like concealed hinges. So something like a car door. The hinges need
to fit to the side of the cupboard. I'd also like to use one of those
push/push to latch/unlatch fittings - if they are still available - not
seen them in the sheds for ages.

Would kitchen cupboard hinges work? There are numerous types (Blum
have the widest range) and they could be fitted with the door flush to
a surface as opposed to the door on the surface if the right kind is
chosen.

Isaac Lord and Woodfit have these and should also have the push to
latch/unlatch catches.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-07 10:10:16 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

I want to have a flush fitting 'secret' door into a cupboard. Not very
large - only about 2 x 2 ft - but with as close gaps as I can manage. And
would like concealed hinges. So something like a car door. The hinges need
to fit to the side of the cupboard. I'd also like to use one of those
push/push to latch/unlatch fittings - if they are still available - not
seen them in the sheds for ages.

Would kitchen cupboard hinges work? There are numerous types (Blum
have the widest range) and they could be fitted with the door flush to
a surface as opposed to the door on the surface if the right kind is
chosen.

Isaac Lord and Woodfit have these and should also have the push to
latch/unlatch catches.

I used this combination (from Isaac Lord) for a tiled door in the side
of a tiled bath panel. The push to open/close catch was a roller ball
type. The hinges are a special design for flush panels.
The gaps are around the size of a grouting gap, but could be a little
tighter. Of course you will never get as close as a push-in design
without hinges. If you chamfer the panel edges you can aid clearance
for the turning radius.
I believe there are some magnetic push-push catches that you could use
without hinges. They have been mentioned in the group before.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 4871e244@qaanaaq,
Andy Hall wrote:
I want to have a flush fitting 'secret' door into a cupboard. Not very
large - only about 2 x 2 ft - but with as close gaps as I can manage.
And would like concealed hinges. So something like a car door. The
hinges need to fit to the side of the cupboard. I'd also like to use
one of those push/push to latch/unlatch fittings - if they are still
available - not seen them in the sheds for ages.

Would kitchen cupboard hinges work?

Normal ones are designed for the door fitting on the outside of the frame
so would need a big clearance for flush fitting.

There are numerous types (Blum
have the widest range) and they could be fitted with the door flush to
a surface as opposed to the door on the surface if the right kind is
chosen.

Right - the self closing part would be fine, as would the easy adjustment.

Isaac Lord and Woodfit have these and should also have the push to
latch/unlatch catches.

OK - I'll have a look. But was hoping to be told what to look for. ;-)

--
Is the hardness of the butter proportional to the softness of the bread?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
On 2008-07-07 10:10:16 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

I want to have a flush fitting 'secret' door into a cupboard. Not
very large - only about 2 x 2 ft - but with as close gaps as I can
manage. And would like concealed hinges. So something like a car
door. The hinges need to fit to the side of the cupboard. I'd also
like to use one of those push/push to latch/unlatch fittings - if
they are still available - not seen them in the sheds for ages.

Would kitchen cupboard hinges work? There are numerous types (Blum
have the widest range) and they could be fitted with the door flush to
a surface as opposed to the door on the surface if the right kind is
chosen.

Isaac Lord and Woodfit have these and should also have the push to
latch/unlatch catches.

I used this combination (from Isaac Lord) for a tiled door in the side
of a tiled bath panel.

That's the sort of thing.

The push to open/close catch was a roller ball type. The hinges are a
special design for flush panels.

Can you remember what they were called? I've had a look at the ones Andy
said and can't be sure which version is correct.

The gaps are around the size of a grouting gap, but could be a little
tighter. Of course you will never get as close as a push-in design
without hinges. If you chamfer the panel edges you can aid clearance
for the turning radius.

That sort of gap would be fine. A couple of mm.

I believe there are some magnetic push-push catches that you could use
without hinges. They have been mentioned in the group before.
Simon.

--
*Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I want to have a flush fitting 'secret' door into a cupboard. Not very
large - only about 2 x 2 ft - but with as close gaps as I can manage. And
would like concealed hinges. So something like a car door. The hinges need
to fit to the side of the cupboard. I'd also like to use one of those
push/push to latch/unlatch fittings - if they are still available - not
seen them in the sheds for ages.

--

I think these are the hinges - how they work from a Merkin site:

http://www.vandykes.com/product/02264636/

but I think the Blum ones are the same or even the Screwfix ones:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/80989/...e-90-Pack-of-2

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
On 2008-07-07 10:10:16 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
said:

[...]

Something like these? (Link to Blum TIP-ON system.)

http://www.blum.com/gb/en/01/20/50/index.php

(There is a download at the bottom roght of that page.)

Otherwise have a gander round the rest of their site/downloads. The
Clip-On hinges include some that are intended for all sorts of special
circumstances.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Andy Hall wrote:
[...]

Hopefully I have told you in my other post. :-) Just remembered that I
should have emphasised that the Blum Clip-On range includes some that
are expressly designed for use on doors that are inset - not just the
lay-on style of conventional euro-kitchen-cupboards.

And, as I have said before, I would go out of my way to use Blkum rather
than almost any other manufacturer's hinges due to design, quality,
documentation and, living near Isaac Lord, availability. :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 10:10:16 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

I want to have a flush fitting 'secret' door into a cupboard. Not very
large - only about 2 x 2 ft - but with as close gaps as I can manage. And
would like concealed hinges. So something like a car door. The hinges need
to fit to the side of the cupboard. I'd also like to use one of those
push/push to latch/unlatch fittings - if they are still available - not
seen them in the sheds for ages.

Aside from the Blum/Grass/Häfele hinge stuff, google for a "Zysa hinge" for an
alternative.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I want to have a flush fitting 'secret' door into a cupboard. Not very
large - only about 2 x 2 ft - but with as close gaps as I can manage. And
would like concealed hinges. So something like a car door. The hinges need
to fit to the side of the cupboard. I'd also like to use one of those
push/push to latch/unlatch fittings - if they are still available - not
seen them in the sheds for ages.

--
*Dance like nobody's watching.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Open a secret bank account if you need to hide the money from the other
half. ;-)

Forget the hinges put the door on dowl pegs at the top and bottom of the
door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 10:53:19 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

better quality if you can use them

http://www.soss.com/

breeze

Hinge Help! N Hurst Woodworking 0 October 31st 06 09:37 PM
What hinge should I use? DamnYankee Woodworking 4 April 5th 06 01:55 AM
Lid Hinge ENGLISH Woodworking 1 March 26th 05 01:42 PM
Is there a hinge like this? Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott Home Repair 33 December 20th 04 05:29 AM
Is there a hinge like this? dadiOH Woodworking 7 December 13th 04 04:33 PM