dadiOH

Default Is there a hinge like this?

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

So lemme get this straight -- with something like a metric Forstner
bit, you drill a hole into the edge of the cabinet side and the rear
of the door. Shove these puppys in and tighten the screw to expand
the body. Pretty clever!

Yeah except that the holes have to be drilled *precisely*. And even
with 10mm there isn't much leeway on the sides going into 3/4" stock
from the edge.

They are useful hinges but I wouldn't use them in particle board...I
suspect they would work loose in short order.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

dadiOH

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

Those hinges -- like the
overlay hinges -- seem to throw the knuckle forward into the room,

There's a reason for that. Hinging the way you want to do will limit
the door swing to 90 degrees. It is not a good method...if someone
inadvertantly opens the door too hard something is going to give.

The hinge knuckle should be in the same plane as the front of the
door...that will allow 180 degree opening and no racking. One way to
accomplish that is by using knife/pivot hinges inset into door
top/bottom...only the small pivot would show.

http://www.hardwaresource.com/Store_...at=24&OrderID=

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

On 12/12/2004 6:23 AM dadiOH wrote:

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

Those hinges -- like the
overlay hinges -- seem to throw the knuckle forward into the room,

There's a reason for that. Hinging the way you want to do will limit
the door swing to 90 degrees. It is not a good method...if someone
inadvertantly opens the door too hard something is going to give.

In my case, if the cabinet door opens much more than 90 degrees it will
smack into a wall sconce. I'll put some kind of chain or string to stop
the door before anything gets hammered.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
dadiOH

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:
On 12/12/2004 6:23 AM dadiOH wrote:

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

Those hinges -- like the
overlay hinges -- seem to throw the knuckle forward into the room,

There's a reason for that. Hinging the way you want to do will limit
the door swing to 90 degrees. It is not a good method...if someone
inadvertantly opens the door too hard something is going to give.

In my case, if the cabinet door opens much more than 90 degrees it
will smack into a wall sconce. I'll put some kind of chain or string
to stop the door before anything gets hammered.

That will look peachy

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

On 12/12/2004 11:23 AM dadiOH wrote:

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

On 12/12/2004 6:23 AM dadiOH wrote:

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

Those hinges -- like the
overlay hinges -- seem to throw the knuckle forward into the room,

There's a reason for that. Hinging the way you want to do will limit
the door swing to 90 degrees. It is not a good method...if someone
inadvertantly opens the door too hard something is going to give.

In my case, if the cabinet door opens much more than 90 degrees it
will smack into a wall sconce. I'll put some kind of chain or string
to stop the door before anything gets hammered.

That will look peachy

Heh. Yeah, I'm thinking a big old chunk of chain with a piece of old
green garden hose slipped over it.
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

On 12/11/2004 7:39 PM John wrote:

"dust Proof Kitchen Cabinet Hinges" are similar to your drawing, However
Screwing into the edge of MDF does not present a problem and give a good
fixing if you drill a pilot hole first. Use a narrow gauge screw and
make the pilot hole at least as deep as the screw. Use a screw that is
1 - 1 3/4" in length.

Can't find anything like a "dust proof kitchen cabinet hinge." Anyone
got a link to this?

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
John

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:
On 12/11/2004 7:39 PM John wrote:

"dust Proof Kitchen Cabinet Hinges" are similar to your drawing,
However Screwing into the edge of MDF does not present a problem and
give a good fixing if you drill a pilot hole first. Use a narrow gauge
screw and make the pilot hole at least as deep as the screw. Use a
screw that is
1 - 1 3/4" in length.

Can't find anything like a "dust proof kitchen cabinet hinge." Anyone
got a link to this?

Give this link a go. They're not exactly like I had in mind but perhaps
they'll do the job.

http://www.wwhardware.com/catalog.cf...g%2C%20Overlay
Regards
John

On 12/12/2004 11:01 PM John wrote:

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

On 12/11/2004 7:39 PM John wrote:

"dust Proof Kitchen Cabinet Hinges" are similar to your drawing,
However Screwing into the edge of MDF does not present a problem and
give a good fixing if you drill a pilot hole first. Use a narrow
gauge screw and make the pilot hole at least as deep as the screw.
Use a screw that is
1 - 1 3/4" in length.

Can't find anything like a "dust proof kitchen cabinet hinge." Anyone
got a link to this?

Give this link a go. They're not exactly like I had in mind but perhaps
they'll do the job.

http://www.wwhardware.com/catalog.cf...g%2C%20Overlay

Ah, thanks. I looked at those at HD. The door wing is so long the screws
would penetrate the mirror, and the frame wing is set up for 3/8''
overlay, and I've got 3/4'' overlay on my cabinet.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
Today's Deep Thought:

With clothes the new are best, with friends the old are best.