Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New hobby. (woodworking related on many levels: building a bar.)

Project scope:
8 Apartments, to be fully renovated.
Bar and restaurant on the Front Street side. Retail space and Tea-room
on the Christina Street side.
This building is a city block long and spans 2 addresses on two
different streets, but are connected legally as one property. (Really
nice when you start counting fire escapes etc.)
My part is to build a bar with celtic carvings and architectural
features.
Signage outside with corbels and fluted columns with capitals and
corniches.
I am working from a bunch of photos from Ireland.

What it is now. These piccies were taken by Google Maps.
http://tinyurl.com/33ysuf9 That is where the bar/restaurant will be.

This is the Christina Street entrance which will have 2 retail spaces.
http://tinyurl.com/38uhyty

This is how far we got in 2 days..LOL
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...batoy/150F.jpg

The entire area is going through a resurrection with major money being
spent on cultural stuff.

Up until last year, the difference between Downtown Sarnia and a bowl of
yoghurt was that the yoghurt has an active, living culture.

More to come.
Posted to rec.woodworking

This is how far we got in 2 days..LOLhttp://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/150F.jpg

The entire area is going through a resurrection with major money being
spent on cultural stuff.

Up until last year, the difference between Downtown Sarnia and a bowl of
yoghurt was that the yoghurt has an active, living culture.

More to come.

Last link should work better this way:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/150front.jpg
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/20/10 10:52 AM, Robatoy wrote:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...batoy/150F.jpg

oops... not there.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 20, 11:58*am, Robatoy wrote:

Last link should work better this way: http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/150front.jpg

I know the brick was already painted, but it's still a shame. I bet
there's a lot of hidden detail under the paint.

Do you get free "drinking rights" for life?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

Last link should work better this way:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/150front.jpg

Are you putting the ugly yellow on?

Or are you taking it off?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 20, 1:12*pm, "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast
dot net wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote

Last link should work better this way:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/150front.jpg

Are you putting the ugly yellow on? *

Or are you taking it off?

Smartypans!

That's NICE yellow. You'll see the whole statement when the signs and
all that are in place.
Lots of oranges and greens to come.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 20, 12:00*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 10/20/10 10:52 AM, Robatoy wrote:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...batoy/150F.jpg

oops... not there.

Don't you OOPS me, mister!
..
..
..
Yeah, well, so I typed it in from memory....big mistake...LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/20/10 1:05 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 20, 12:00 pm, wrote:
On 10/20/10 10:52 AM, Robatoy wrote:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...batoy/150F.jpg

oops... not there.

Don't you OOPS me, mister!
.
.
.
Yeah, well, so I typed it in from memory....big mistake...LOL

I saw your correction, as soon as I hit send. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:52:43 -0400, Robatoy
wrote:

[...]

Perhaps you forgot to upload it? Page not found.

The entire area is going through a resurrection with major money being
spent on cultural stuff.

Up until last year, the difference between Downtown Sarnia and a bowl of
yoghurt was that the yoghurt has an active, living culture.

A hotbed of inactivity, wot?

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 08:58:51 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

Last link should work better this way:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/150front.jpg

If that's culture, I'll pass, thanks. Eek!

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 13:12:01 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote

Last link should work better this way:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/150front.jpg

Are you putting the ugly yellow on?

Or are you taking it off?

chortle

I'm wondering how any sign he makes for that can compete with the new
paint (blowme) job.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Last link should work better this way:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/150front.jpg

If that's culture, I'll pass, thanks. *Eek!

It kills me to look at it. Guaranteed there's multi-colored brick
under the paint, and check out the pilasters running up the face of
the building and on either side of each window. They've got this cool
serpentine thing going on. The brickwork on that building is flipping
art, and somebody _wallpapered_ over it! I'd use Peel Away Smart
Strip and take it down to the original and then not have to worry
about painting it again. http://www.peelaway.com/smart-strip.htm

Sorry, Roba - I realize you inherited it painted, but it strikes me
the same way that you'd feel if someone painted over the celtic
carvings you're planning to do on the bar. It's architectural
sacrilege.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Last link should work better this way:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/150front.jpg

If that's culture, I'll pass, thanks. *Eek!

You wouldn't do well up here anyway. ;-}

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Last link should work better this way:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/150front.jpg

If that's culture, I'll pass, thanks. *Eek!

It kills me to look at it. Guaranteed there's multi-colored brick
under the paint, and check out the pilasters running up the face of
the building and on either side of each window. They've got this cool
serpentine thing going on. The brickwork on that building is flipping
art, and somebody _wallpapered_ over it! I'd use Peel Away Smart
Strip and take it down to the original and then not have to worry
about painting it again. http://www.peelaway.com/smart-strip.htm

Sorry, Roba - I realize you inherited it painted, but it strikes me
the same way that you'd feel if someone painted over the celtic
carvings you're planning to do on the bar. It's architectural
sacrilege.

Perhaps, but some of the old ca1870 buildings around here are so
unstable that the mortar and bricks themselves are eroding. Paint may
be the only thing holding that building _up_!

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Are you close to salt water and earth quakes?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Last link should work better this way:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/150front.jpg

If that's culture, I'll pass, thanks. *Eek!

You wouldn't do well up here anyway. ;-}

Surrounded by leftists under 400' of -50F snow? You're correct!

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Within 50 miles of the ocean, with the coastal range in between. And
we're in a quake area, but none has hit in eons.

The work I was doing on one such building was -inside-, though. They
had me paint the disintegrating bricks and mortar with a thick,
clearish emulsion. It reminded me of the lovely and popular
polyurinestain products.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Last link should work better this way:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/150front.jpg

If that's culture, I'll pass, thanks. *Eek!

You wouldn't do well up here anyway. ;-}

Surrounded by leftists under 400' of -50F snow? *You're correct!

Funny how reality somehow stops at your border, huh?
I have seen those weather maps on TV. 70° in Detroit, 20° in Windsor,
with only a river separating them.
Somewhere, I still have a picture of a Tennessee couple that crossed
the border here in Sarnia, with skis on the roof of their station
wagon .......in JULY!

Rome, Italy, 41, 54 N
Northern California 41° 46'N
Sarnia Latitude: 42° 58', North.

We can actually grow vegetables here!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

BTDT... We formed a consortium and renovated 6 store-fronts downtown
Toronto. Same idea. Gutted most of them. Lead water lines, asbestos
insulation FUN! Abatemen fees were staggering. (We did see that coming
though, so no surprises)
This place, however, won't even take a tapcon drill bit easily in the
perfectly pointed mortar. No worries there.
The wood around the windows is another story, but after doing a LOT of
those in Rochester NY, I feel no intimidation by that problem.
The brick inside needs to be cleaned and re-pointed in some areas.
I love this kinda ****...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 07:02:21 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Isn't that ridiculous? Given that only 10% of all asbestos ever
produced was the nasty sort and that most people wear masks around
anything dusty, the class action lawsuits (here, how about there?) and
gov't regulation on these things just sicken me.

This place, however, won't even take a tapcon drill bit easily in the
perfectly pointed mortar. No worries there.
The wood around the windows is another story, but after doing a LOT of
those in Rochester NY, I feel no intimidation by that problem.
The brick inside needs to be cleaned and re-pointed in some areas.
I love this kinda ****...

I wouldn't mind repointing decent brick 'n mortar, but this was like
styrofoam in places. Coulda been limeless mortar back then. And
someone may have cooked their own bricks, but the building is still
standing. I wouldn't live there. Uh, uh!

Soooo, where's the pic of the sign, eh, hoser?

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 21, 10:57*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Soooo, where's the pic of the sign, eh, hoser?

You mind if I design, cut, have it painted and hung first? LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/21/10 12:46 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 21, 10:57 am, Larry
wrote:

Soooo, where's the pic of the sign, eh, hoser?

You mind if I design, cut, have it painted and hung first? LOL

What, you don't have a SketchUp rendering?

By the way, SketchUp is the best CAD program ever.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Soooo, where's the pic of the sign, eh, hoser?

You mind if I design, cut, have it painted and hung first? LOL

What, you don't have a SketchUp rendering?

By the way, SketchUp is the best CAD program ever.

I only bite on wrong evaluations of The Holy Land (Canada).

SketchUp works.
..
..
..
..
so does a crayon. g,d&r

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Soooo, where's the pic of the sign, eh, hoser?

You mind if I design, cut, have it painted and hung first? LOL

After seeing that paint job, no. I don't mind a bit. Can you give us
a hint, though? The building face is 90' square. Will your sign be
the same size, with a cutout for floor-level doors and display
windows, I hope?

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.
-- Plutarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

I only bite on wrong evaluations of The Holy Land (Canada).

snip
.
so does a crayon. g,d&r

Do they have good crayons in Canada? G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/21/2010 3:29 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote

I only bite on wrong evaluations of The Holy Land (Canada).

snip
.
so does a crayon. g,d&r

Do they have good crayons in Canada? G

From someone who had to learn to read before he figured out how NOT to
paint the sky green and the grass pink ... what's a "good" crayon to you?

I would say that the only good crayon is the one that has the color
written on it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

From someone who had to learn to read before he figured out how NOT to
paint the sky green and the grass pink ... what's a "good" crayon to you?

I would say that the only good crayon is the one that has the color
written on it.

According to my artist friends and long ago memories, The more colors the
better. But as you pointed out, if you can not tell what color is which,
that wouldn't help you.

I guess this means that you were not meant to be a painter-artist type.

For the record, I was not a good color-er in school. Yep, in first grade we
were graded on our crayon skills. I doubt if that is a part of the
curriculum any more.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 21, 5:06*pm, Steve wrote:
Swingman wrote in news:0ZKdnfr3cISRO13RnZ2dnUVZ_q-
:

On 10/21/2010 3:29 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote

I only bite on wrong evaluations of The Holy Land (Canada).

snip
.
so does a crayon. g,d&r

Do they have good crayons in Canada? G

*From someone who had to learn to read before he figured out how NOT to
paint the sky green and the grass pink ... what's a "good" crayon to

you?

I would say that the only good crayon is the one that has the color
written on it.

LOL! Being colorblind myself I can relate to that.

Steve

I had a radio, as a kid, that had a green light and a red light on the
front panel. The dial lights no longer worked but at night, the red
and green bulbs lit my ceiling jointly. When I closed one eye, the
ceiling was red, when I closed the other, the ceiling was green. That
was a hint of things to come. Reddish/greenish browns are still my
nemesis, all other colours seem to be okay.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/21/10 5:35 PM, Robatoy wrote:
and Pelee Island.

Memories abound.