Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Updated my (woodworking related) website

From: "Swingman"
Subject: Updated my (woodworking related) website
Date: Monday, January 04, 2010 5:05 PM

I spent my holiday vacation time rebuilding my website
www.sonomaproducts.com.
I am very proud of how it came out. Lots of my woodworking projects
shown.

It is a bit of a false front or faux site at the moment. Not much of
an actual company behind it. I am going to venture out to try and get
my Adirondack furniture into the retail market. So I built this site
to help me pass the "sniff test" once I start approaching buyers.

I will only stay in my local region with the garden furniture. The
product line/business probably can't scale to become full time for me,
but I hope to make some cash to fund my dream of a woodworking kit
business.

Let me know what you think if you have a spare moment.

I think it is EXCELLENT! Well done, and, as usual, your woodworking is
superb!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I like it a lot.

Did you use a template for the site layout? The site is very professional
looking.

I am impressed with the use of PHP, you can really build off the code and do
a bunch of things if you desire.

I would make your entire logo a link back to your homepage and I would look
into Google Analytics. Google Analytics is a free service that will keep
track of your page hits, bounce rate, etc. It is just a matter of adding a
few lines of code to each page and registering your domain name with Google.

I too, may be trying to make a little money from woodworking since
consulting stinks these days.

Larry C

Posted to rec.woodworking

I used a free content management system called Joomla! and then I
bought a template for $49 Then swapped in my own graphics, configured,
etc.. It took some learning and I abandoned Go Daddy in the process
and went over to an ISP that specializes in Joomla!. Joomla! has an
awesome forum witha at least a dozen specifc categories and lots of
traffic. Every question I have asked gets great answers.

Joomla is really setup to be a blog site or magazine type content but
I was able to bend it inro a product format.

On Jan 4, 2:21*pm, "Larry C"
From: "Swingman"
Date: Monday, January 04, 2010 5:05 PM

[...]

Larry C- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have to say that the site was damn impressive. NOT cluttered (good
on 'ya!), easy to navigate, and everything worked. It was really
professional in appearance since it was so clean.

I liked the detailing on the kits, too. It was a nice stroke to
include the skill level needed, as well as most of the tools.

The only MINOR suggestion would be to put a human in some of the
pictures for reference. When I do my inspection reports, I have found
that measurements mean little to most people, even folks in the
trades. So if you had a lovely volunteer stand by the work (you don't
even have to put them all the way in the pic... just an arm and hand
on the cabinet for example) to give some reference might help folks
out.

I thought your nightstand was a small spice cabinet until I read your
measurements. I had been looking at the clock kit and the brain
didn't click over when I changed kits.

Very nicely done!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thx for compliments and good comments.

Yes, I lack any human face and I will add that just to give it a more
personal touch. I was thinking of adding some recognizable items into
some pics just to help with scale but most of the images came from my
archive of existing stuff.

On Jan 4, 3:49*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think it's a very good website. I sent you a private note, via the
site's "contact us" link.

Sonny