Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New hobby. (woodworking related on many levels: building a bar.)

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 05:31:35 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Oct 20, 11:24*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 20:03:53 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

wrote:
On Oct 20, 10:52 pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 08:58:51 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

wrote:
Last link should work better this way:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...y/150front.jpg

If that's culture, I'll pass, thanks. Eek!

It kills me to look at it. *Guaranteed there's multi-colored brick
under the paint, and check out the pilasters running up the face of
the building and on either side of each window. *They've got this cool
serpentine thing going on. *The brickwork on that building is flipping
art, and somebody _wallpapered_ over it! *I'd use Peel Away Smart
Strip and take it down to the original and then not have to worry
about painting it again. *http://www.peelaway.com/smart-strip.htm

Sorry, Roba - I realize you inherited it painted, but it strikes me
the same way that you'd feel if someone painted over the celtic
carvings you're planning to do on the bar. *It's architectural
sacrilege.

Perhaps, but some of the old ca1870 buildings around here are so
unstable that the mortar and bricks themselves are eroding. Paint may
be the only thing holding that building _up_!

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.

Are you close to salt water and earth quakes?

Within 50 miles of the ocean, with the coastal range in between. And
we're in a quake area, but none has hit in eons.

The work I was doing on one such building was -inside-, though. They
had me paint the disintegrating bricks and mortar with a thick,
clearish emulsion. It reminded me of the lovely and popular
polyurinestain products.