Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Higher Amp battery - more power?

Hi folks,

I have a Makita 18V Cordless Impact Driver (BTD141) and Drill (BHP452)
set with 1.5A batteries. Compared to another 18V drill I have
(Mastercraft), the Makitas lack power.

These are the units availabe at Home Depot and are black and white in
color rather than the traditional Makita blue.

If I were to purchase 3A batteries, which are readily available, would
I have more power, or would the drills simply run longer?

Thanks, Gary
Posted to rec.woodworking

They would run longer. The black and white are not the same as the blue set.
The blue set is definitely a more powerful motor.

The black and white is a home/light weight version. Hence the smaller
battery.

On 9/25/2010 9:57 PM, G Mulcaster wrote:
Hi folks,

I have a Makita 18V Cordless Impact Driver (BTD141) and Drill (BHP452)
set with 1.5A batteries. Compared to another 18V drill I have
(Mastercraft), the Makitas lack power.

These are the units availabe at Home Depot and are black and white in
color rather than the traditional Makita blue.

If I were to purchase 3A batteries, which are readily available, would
I have more power, or would the drills simply run longer?

Thanks, Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 18:57:01 -0700, G Mulcaster wrote:

Hi folks,

I have a Makita 18V Cordless Impact Driver (BTD141) and Drill (BHP452)
set with 1.5A batteries. Compared to another 18V drill I have
(Mastercraft), the Makitas lack power.

These are the units availabe at Home Depot and are black and white in
color rather than the traditional Makita blue.

If I were to purchase 3A batteries, which are readily available, would
I have more power, or would the drills simply run longer?

Thanks, Gary

I'd think that gearing would also be an issue?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Hi folks,

I have a Makita 18V Cordless Impact Driver (BTD141) and Drill (BHP452)
set with 1.5A batteries. Compared to another 18V drill I have
(Mastercraft), the Makitas lack power.

I got the BTD141 kit and use the impactor exclusively on decks and
other construction. It came with the big batteries and it's over a
pound lighter than my wonderful old Bosch 14.4v Impactor. I haven't
used the Makita 452.

These are the units availabe at Home Depot and are black and white in
color rather than the traditional Makita blue.

If I were to purchase 3A batteries, which are readily available, would
I have more power, or would the drills simply run longer?

Ask Makita. I'm tempted to say that since they're both 18v, there
would be no difference. But, how they're configured electronically
may allow them to utilize more amperage as power. I don't know.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 23:19:45 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 18:57:01 -0700, G Mulcaster wrote:

Hi folks,

I have a Makita 18V Cordless Impact Driver (BTD141) and Drill (BHP452)
set with 1.5A batteries. Compared to another 18V drill I have
(Mastercraft), the Makitas lack power.

These are the units availabe at Home Depot and are black and white in
color rather than the traditional Makita blue.

If I were to purchase 3A batteries, which are readily available, would
I have more power, or would the drills simply run longer?

Thanks, Gary

I'd think that gearing would also be an issue?

Are you _certain_ that the larger batteries have different gearing?

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Hi folks,

I have a Makita 18V Cordless Impact Driver (BTD141) and Drill (BHP452)
set with 1.5A batteries. Compared to another 18V drill I have
(Mastercraft), the Makitas lack power.

These are the units availabe at Home Depot and are black and white in
color rather than the traditional Makita blue.

If I were to purchase 3A batteries, which are readily available, would
I have more power, or would the drills simply run longer?

Thanks to eveyone for your responses. I called Makita as suggested.
Here is what the tech rep said:

The white/black sets are functionally identical to the blue sets.
There is no difference in power. The only difference is the outside
color. Home Depot was able to get these white/black sets at a cheaper
price because the color was cheaper to produce - less pigmentation
required (weird).

Purchasing a 3A battery will make no difference in power, only run
time.

If I wanted more power I could purchase a BTD144 impact driver. It
has 1440lbs torque vs my BTD141's 1330 lbs. The same batterys are
used. (I don't think the torque gain is significant enough to warrant
its purchase - not sure).

He said an alternative would be to purchase a 36V impact driver;
however, as a home renovator, this would be serious overkill.

FWIW, Gary
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , G Mulcaster
wrote:

The white/black sets are functionally identical to the blue sets.
There is no difference in power. The only difference is the outside
color. Home Depot was able to get these white/black sets at a cheaper
price because the color was cheaper to produce - less pigmentation
required (weird).

I bet if you open them up you'll find cheaper components used in the
Home Despot models... Plastic gears, etc.