Posted to rec.woodworking
G Mulcaster G Mulcaster is offline

Default Higher Amp battery - more power?

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 18:57:01 -0700, G Mulcaster
wrote:

Hi folks,

I have a Makita 18V Cordless Impact Driver (BTD141) and Drill (BHP452)
set with 1.5A batteries. Compared to another 18V drill I have
(Mastercraft), the Makitas lack power.

These are the units availabe at Home Depot and are black and white in
color rather than the traditional Makita blue.

If I were to purchase 3A batteries, which are readily available, would
I have more power, or would the drills simply run longer?

Thanks to eveyone for your responses. I called Makita as suggested.
Here is what the tech rep said:

The white/black sets are functionally identical to the blue sets.
There is no difference in power. The only difference is the outside
color. Home Depot was able to get these white/black sets at a cheaper
price because the color was cheaper to produce - less pigmentation
required (weird).

Purchasing a 3A battery will make no difference in power, only run
time.

If I wanted more power I could purchase a BTD144 impact driver. It
has 1440lbs torque vs my BTD141's 1330 lbs. The same batterys are
used. (I don't think the torque gain is significant enough to warrant
its purchase - not sure).

He said an alternative would be to purchase a 36V impact driver;
however, as a home renovator, this would be serious overkill.

FWIW, Gary