Electronics (alt.electronics)

Default Battery Power

Hi,

I've had a good search for a Video Link that uses batteries, but
couldn't find any, so I bought one that uses plug-in adapters, but
would like to hook up batteries to make them portable.

The devices have the following power specs:

12V DC, 200 mA
9v DC, 400mah

I would like to use rechargeable batteries to power these devices for
no more than an hour.

I thought for the 12v device I could use a 12v sealed lead acid
battery.

For the 9v device, would rechargeable NiMH batteries do the job
without a problem? As there are no 9v sealed lead acid batteries that
I can see, this seems the only alternative

Hope someone can give me confirmation that this is possible.

Cheers
Sean
Pat Ziegler

Find yourself a good 12V Lithium Ion cell phone battery. Most are 600mah or
bigger so you should get at least an hours time out of your video sender.
Charging the battery will be your next hurdle.

Pat Ziegler
Wholesale Electronics Inc.

www.weisd.com

wrote in message
Hi,

I've had a good search for a Video Link that uses batteries, but
couldn't find any, so I bought one that uses plug-in adapters, but
would like to hook up batteries to make them portable.

The devices have the following power specs:

12V DC, 200 mA
9v DC, 400mah

I would like to use rechargeable batteries to power these devices for
no more than an hour.

I thought for the 12v device I could use a 12v sealed lead acid
battery.

For the 9v device, would rechargeable NiMH batteries do the job
without a problem? As there are no 9v sealed lead acid batteries that
I can see, this seems the only alternative

Hope someone can give me confirmation that this is possible.

Cheers
Sean

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 11:02:03 -0500, "Pat Ziegler"
wrote:

Find yourself a good 12V Lithium Ion cell phone battery. Most are 600mah or
bigger so you should get at least an hours time out of your video sender.
Charging the battery will be your next hurdle.

Yes, a lithium battery is a good idea in terms of being light and
compact, I'll have a look around.

I have a 12v lead battery to power a small monitor which works great
with a standard 12v charger, but it is rather bulky which is the only
problem with it being portable.

I think the 12v battery won't be a problem either way, its the 9v I'm
looking for that is my main problem

Cheers,
Sean
John Fields

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:38:33 GMT, wrote:

Hi,

I've had a good search for a Video Link that uses batteries, but
couldn't find any, so I bought one that uses plug-in adapters, but
would like to hook up batteries to make them portable.

The devices have the following power specs:

12V DC, 200 mA
9v DC, 400mah

I would like to use rechargeable batteries to power these devices for
no more than an hour.

I thought for the 12v device I could use a 12v sealed lead acid
battery.

For the 9v device, would rechargeable NiMH batteries do the job
without a problem? As there are no 9v sealed lead acid batteries that
I can see, this seems the only alternative

---
I'd go with either lead-acid or NiMH and get the 9V with a buck
converter so you wouldn't waste power in a linear regulator.

Assuming about 80% conversion efficiency in the switcher and that your
load will draw 400mA at 9V means that for:

P = IE = 9V * 400mA = 3.6W,

the input to the converter will need to be about 4.5 watts, or,

P 4.5W
I = --- = ----- = 0.375A
E 12V

So, if your loads are going to be conncted for an hour, the 12V load
will take 200mA and the 9V load 375mA, so your battery will need to
be rated at about 575mAH. But, batteries are usually rated to deliver
their capacity at C/10 (or C/20), so you'll need to use batteries with
about 25% greater capacity than what the load will impose on them.

For 575mA, that means that the battery should be rated at about
719mAH, so rounding up to 750mAH should get you there easily.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Jasen Betts

In article , wrote:
Hi,

I've had a good search for a Video Link that uses batteries, but
couldn't find any, so I bought one that uses plug-in adapters, but
would like to hook up batteries to make them portable.

The devices have the following power specs:

12V DC, 200 mA
9v DC, 400mah

I would like to use rechargeable batteries to power these devices for
no more than an hour.

I thought for the 12v device I could use a 12v sealed lead acid
battery.

definately. one rated 200mAh would be sufficient. i don't know if they
make them that small

for the 9v,7 NiMh cells in series gets you 8.4v which should be sufficient,
charging them could be challenging unl;ess you have a charger thant can do
individual cells, or a custom made charger.

many small "9V" looking rechargeables batteries are only 6 cells for 7.2v
which may not be enough they also don't have the capacity and are over-
priced for what the provide.

you need 400mAh capacity to run it for an hour
the
so if 7.2V
is enough one of the pre-packaged 7.2v batteries would do it.

For the 9v device, would rechargeable NiMH batteries do the job
without a problem? As there are no 9v sealed lead acid batteries that
I can see, this seems the only alternative

lead acid cells are 2v each so there's no way to make 9V in that material,

another option is to use a 12V supply and a voltage regulator to step it down
to 9v. this wastes electrical energy, but as lead acid cells are cheaper than
NiMh, and easier to charge, it could save money.
--

Bye.
Jasen
John Fields

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:09:57 +1200, Jasen Betts
wrote:

In article , wrote:
[...]

Really? I'd appreciate it if you'd post which batteries you're
talking about (manufacturer and part number) so that I can make sure
that, when I buy rechargeable 9V NiMHs I stay away from them.
---

you need 400mAh capacity to run it for an hour
the
so if 7.2V
is enough one of the pre-packaged 7.2v batteries would do it.

For the 9v device, would rechargeable NiMH batteries do the job
without a problem? As there are no 9v sealed lead acid batteries that
I can see, this seems the only alternative

lead acid cells are 2v each so there's no way to make 9V in that material,

another option is to use a 12V supply and a voltage regulator to step it down
to 9v. this wastes electrical energy, but as lead acid cells are cheaper than
NiMh, and easier to charge, it could save money.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
JeffM

...for the 9v,7 NiMh cells in series gets you 8.4v
...many small "9V" looking rechargeables batteries
are only 6 cells for 7.2v
Jasen Betts

Really? I'd appreciate it if you'd post which batteries you're
talking about (manufacturer and part number) so that I can make sure
that, when I buy rechargeable 9V NiMHs I stay away from them.
John Fields

When he said **rechargeables", he's right.
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...l-Voltage-7.2v

When you specify **NiMH**, you eliminate the 7.2V stuff,
but 8.4V is quite common--with 9.6V being in the minority.
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...2v+9.6 v+Size

Sony Clie TJ27 - battery problem Mark Electronics Repair 0 July 7th 05 02:31 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Hacking UPS aurgathor Electronics Repair 16 December 4th 04 08:11 AM
Battery Problem QX4 Solved NSN Home Repair 0 March 31st 04 02:39 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM