Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Higher Amp battery - more power?

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 18:57:01 -0700, G Mulcaster
wrote:

Hi folks,

I have a Makita 18V Cordless Impact Driver (BTD141) and Drill (BHP452)
set with 1.5A batteries. Compared to another 18V drill I have
(Mastercraft), the Makitas lack power.

I got the BTD141 kit and use the impactor exclusively on decks and
other construction. It came with the big batteries and it's over a
pound lighter than my wonderful old Bosch 14.4v Impactor. I haven't
used the Makita 452.

These are the units availabe at Home Depot and are black and white in
color rather than the traditional Makita blue.

If I were to purchase 3A batteries, which are readily available, would
I have more power, or would the drills simply run longer?

Ask Makita. I'm tempted to say that since they're both 18v, there
would be no difference. But, how they're configured electronically
may allow them to utilize more amperage as power. I don't know.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London