Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What to use as a non-skid material on a circular saw guide? Suggestions?

I found the following post on a forum in the UK at
http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/c...de-t16979.html

I'm looking for suggestions for a material that can be used for the
non-skid effect. As pointed out in other posts in this thread, the
Carroll site is not working.
====================
After recently using a Festo saw and guide at work I must admit I was
quite taken with the way the guide had rubber strips stuck to the
underside so it could be used without clamps, really neat idea.
Messing about in my workshop later with some homemade guides made of
mdf with a batten routed down the center i was wondering what i could
use for the same effect and rummaging around i came across some self
adhesive foam tape that is sold by Carroll tools for their range of
drum sanders. it is 75mm wide so I split it into 3 strips and fixed it
to the underside of the guides. Crikey it really grips, immovable in
fact yet you can just pick it up and move it. It costs £1.50 a metre
and obviously you can make your guides to suit whatever without any
massive outlay.
====================
I found this stuff on the net, but there's no telling how tough it is.
http://www.independentliving.com/pro...?number=120560
Posted to rec.woodworking

Good stuff
I use that stuff to protect the bumper of the car if I happen to be putting
something in the boot
same colour as the car and looking flat to someone behind me, it can't be
noticed
costs about 50 cents.

Thanks for the idea. Where is it sold?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"KIMOSABE" wrote in message
[...]

The material used on the Festool guide rails is replacable. Buy the
replacements from Festool.

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/g...ip-485724.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

The material used on the Festool guide rails is replacable. *Buy
the
replacements from Festool.

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/g...guards/nonskid...

And only $60 per inch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 11:39:53 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

The material used on the Festool guide rails is replacable. *Buy

the
replacements from Festool.

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/g...guards/nonskid...

And only $60 per inch.

I believe you meant to say $0.64 per foot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just what I was looking for. Thanks for the advice.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 17, 5:01*pm, KIMOSABE wrote:
Just what I was looking for. *Thanks for the advice.

Also ... I had/have a roll or two of this stuff ...

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...er-taupe/37088

Left over from when I had an RV.

It does a GREAT job for what you describe. I also use it for sanding
and hand-held router use.

Because it's so porous, it's just a simple "shake clean," to get the
sawdust out.

Cheap, too !
Posted to rec.woodworking

I believe you meant to say $0.64 per foot.

No, I was just making a guess as to how Fecestool would price this
item.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:30:35 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

I believe you meant to say $0.64 per foot.

No, I was just making a guess as to how Fecestool would price this
item.

Your original link didn't go to the exact product page but after a
little digging around ended up at this page:

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/g...ip-485724.html

and that part, with a length of 32.8ft and a cost of $21.00 comes out
to, well, you know...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 16, 1:16*am, KIMOSABE wrote:
I found the following post on a forum in the UK athttp://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/clampless-circular-saw-guide-t1697...

I'm looking for suggestions for a material that can be used for the
non-skid effect.

Black cloth friction tape.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I believe you meant to say $0.64 per foot.

No, I was just making a guess as to how Fecestool would price this
item.

Your original link didn't go to the exact product page but after a
little digging around ended up at this page:

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/g...ip-485724.html

and that part, with a length of 32.8ft and a cost of $21.00 comes out
to, well, you know...

I'm fairly certain he was just making a joke pertaining to how expensive
Festool stuff is.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote:

I believe you meant to say $0.64 per foot.

No, I was just making a guess as to how Fecestool would price this
item.

Your original link didn't go to the exact product page but after a
little digging around ended up at this page:

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/g...ip-485724.html

and that part, with a length of 32.8ft and a cost of $21.00 comes out
to, well, you know...

I'm fairly certain he was just making a joke pertaining to how expensive
Festool stuff is.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

It ain't no joke! :-(

Max (Festool owner)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-09-17 06:09:14 -0400, "Leon" said:

I found this stuff on the net, but there's no telling how tough it is.
http://www.independentliving.com/pro...?number=120560

That Zippy foam stuff is usually available in the kids' crafts aisle at
your neighborhood Target, Walmart*, or similar retailer.

The shelf liner stuff is in housewears, with the cleaning products/tools.

Or if you want you can call it Router Mat, and pay
Woodcraft's/Rockler's prices. Sears sells it as liners for their
toolboxes (or is the plural "toolboxen"?).

Happy shopping!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote in
:

On Sep 16, 1:16*am, KIMOSABE wrote:
I found the following post on a forum in the UK
athttp://www.ukworkshop.c

o.uk/forums/clampless-circular-saw-guide-t1697...

I'm looking for suggestions for a material that can be used for the
non-skid effect.

Black cloth friction tape.

That would work, but you risk leaving behind black marks on the wood.
(I'm sure it depends on the friction tape.) Plus it would probably lose
some of its effectiveness after getting some sawdust on it.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
That would work, but you risk leaving behind black marks on the wood.
(I'm sure it depends on the friction tape.) Plus it would probably lose
some of its effectiveness after getting some sawdust on it.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,110,43466
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,110,43466

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 18, 7:16*am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
Father Haskell wrote :

On Sep 16, 1:16*am, KIMOSABE wrote:
I found the following post on a forum in the UK
athttp://www.ukworkshop.c

o.uk/forums/clampless-circular-saw-guide-t1697...

I'm looking for suggestions for a material that can be used for the
non-skid effect.

Black cloth friction tape.

That would work, but you risk leaving behind black marks on the wood. *
(I'm sure it depends on the friction tape.) *Plus it would probably lose
some of its effectiveness after getting some sawdust on it.

Puckdropper

Haven't had either problem. Retains its friction for several
months. When it goes, just peel off and replace, a two
minute job. Very cheap.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Shelf liner comes in colors :-)

Box is black.

Router Mat is buff tan.

I like colors.

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in
:

http://www.independentliving.com/pro...?number=120560

If you're talking about the face of the miter gauge, I've always
used a ~100-120 grit wet/dry sandpaper rubber cemented to on and
pared to shape. I would think that 1/8" foam might tend to
compress unevenly under load and through it off the square.

Ken