Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default What to use as a non-skid material on a circular saw guide? Suggestions?

"KIMOSABE" wrote in message
I found the following post on a forum in the UK at
http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/c...de-t16979.html

I'm looking for suggestions for a material that can be used for the
non-skid effect. As pointed out in other posts in this thread, the
Carroll site is not working.
====================
After recently using a Festo saw and guide at work I must admit I was
quite taken with the way the guide had rubber strips stuck to the
underside so it could be used without clamps, really neat idea.
Messing about in my workshop later with some homemade guides made of
mdf with a batten routed down the center i was wondering what i could
use for the same effect and rummaging around i came across some self
adhesive foam tape that is sold by Carroll tools for their range of
drum sanders. it is 75mm wide so I split it into 3 strips and fixed it
to the underside of the guides. Crikey it really grips, immovable in
fact yet you can just pick it up and move it. It costs £1.50 a metre
and obviously you can make your guides to suit whatever without any
massive outlay.
I found this stuff on the net, but there's no telling how tough it is.
http://www.independentliving.com/pro...?number=120560

The material used on the Festool guide rails is replacable. Buy the
replacements from Festool.

http://www.festoolusa.com/products/g...ip-485724.html