larry in cinci

Default Band saw cool blocks?

I recently got ahold of a 1953 12" delta bandsaw ($100.00) and in going over
it I saw that the blocks at the top and bottom guides are a red color. Can
anyone tell me if these are just a phenolic resin or are they cool blocks?
TIA again. Larry

--
larry in Cinci

Tom

Larry wrote:I recently got ahold of a 1953 12" delta bandsaw ($100.00) and in
going over
it I saw that the blocks at the top and bottom guides are a red color. Can
anyone tell me if these are just a phenolic resin or are they cool blocks?
TIA again. Larry

--
larry in Cinci

All the cool-blocks(tm) I've seen were black.. TM
Someday, it'll all be over....
John Carlson

Cool Blocks are a dark gray color, so whatever you've got, it's no
them.

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:03:44 -0400, "larry in cinci"
wrote:

I recently got ahold of a 1953 12" delta bandsaw ($100.00) and in going over
it I saw that the blocks at the top and bottom guides are a red color. Can
anyone tell me if these are just a phenolic resin or are they cool blocks?
TIA again. Larry

-- jc
Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection.
If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net
Dan Valleskey

Cool blocks are just basically micarta, far as I can tell. Micarta
comes in many colors.

Can you see layers? squiggley layers. or flat layers?

If the blocks are a phenolic, and many years old, I'd replace them.

Hey, good deal on the saw, anyway!!

-Dan V.

wrote:

I recently got ahold of a 1953 12" delta bandsaw ($100.00) and in going over
it I saw that the blocks at the top and bottom guides are a red color. Can
anyone tell me if these are just a phenolic resin or are they cool blocks?
TIA again. Larry

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:28:22 -0500, Dan Valleskey valleskey at
comcast dot net wrote:

Cool blocks are just basically micarta, far as I can tell. Micarta
comes in many colors.

True for Micarta, buit not for CoolBlocks.

Coolblocks are similar to Micarta, in that they're layers of fabric in
a polymer matrix. However Cool Blocks are also impregnated with a
lubricant (MS2 ?) which Micarta isn't. This colours their matrix dark
grey.

it I saw that the blocks at the top and bottom guides are a red color.

The red blocks that I've seen seemed to be HDPE.

I've not seen plain phenolic blocks, and they'd be more of a brown
than red. I don't doubt they exist, but I think they'd tend to
overheat and char if you ever ran them too tight.

--
Smert' spamionam

comcast dot net wrote:

Cool blocks are just basically micarta, far as I can tell. Micarta
comes in many colors.

True for Micarta, buit not for CoolBlocks.

Coolblocks are similar to Micarta, in that they're layers of fabric in
a polymer matrix. However Cool Blocks are also impregnated with a
lubricant (MS2 ?) which Micarta isn't. This colours their matrix dark
grey.

it I saw that the blocks at the top and bottom guides are a red color.

The red blocks that I've seen seemed to be HDPE.

I've not seen plain phenolic blocks, and they'd be more of a brown
than red. I don't doubt they exist, but I think they'd tend to
overheat and char if you ever ran them too tight.

my bandsaw has red phenolic blocks. they appear to be original
equipment on a saw from the 60's and worn but serviceable and no sign
of burning.

HDPE is IIRC heat formable. doesn't seem like it would be a great
choice for bandsaw blocks....
Mike

Cool Blocks replacement. I have been selling Lignum Vitae wood guide blocks
for $5 a set of four for both Grizzly, Jet and Delta bandsaws. This wood is
self lubricating and so dense it won't float. I've sold nearly 100 sets on
woodnet forum.
Cheers Mike

comcast dot net wrote:

[...]

Lawrence L'Hote

"Mike" wrote in message
. com...
Cool Blocks replacement. I have been selling Lignum Vitae wood guide

blocks
for $5 a set of four for both Grizzly, Jet and Delta bandsaws. This wood

is
self lubricating and so dense it won't float. I've sold nearly 100 sets on

............. even better to make your own
see:
http://www.inthewoodshop.org/methods/wwc03n.shtml

and his link to my site showing how it can be done.

Larry

wch

"Woodworker Joe" wrote in message

Get rid of the cool blocks and get a blade stablizer from TWC.

The Weather Channel? When did they start selling woodworkin stuff? :-)

Seriously, what's TWC?

Thanks

Dan Valleskey

isn't this an awfully old thread?

anyway- The Woodworkers Choice. Usually seen at woodworking shows.

http://www.thewoodworkerschoice.com/

Breeze blocks Cicero UK diy 6 March 18th 04 10:15 PM
henly blocks with seals Mark UK diy 15 January 21st 04 08:58 AM
Question About Cool Blocks Greg G. Woodworking 24 December 25th 03 08:20 PM
Replacing hardwood floor blocks with tiles Stephen Jones UK diy 0 July 30th 03 12:46 PM