Default Band saw cool blocks?

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 12:46:07 +0100, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:28:22 -0500, Dan Valleskey valleskey at
comcast dot net wrote:

Cool blocks are just basically micarta, far as I can tell. Micarta
comes in many colors.

True for Micarta, buit not for CoolBlocks.

Coolblocks are similar to Micarta, in that they're layers of fabric in
a polymer matrix. However Cool Blocks are also impregnated with a
lubricant (MS2 ?) which Micarta isn't. This colours their matrix dark
grey.

it I saw that the blocks at the top and bottom guides are a red color.

The red blocks that I've seen seemed to be HDPE.

I've not seen plain phenolic blocks, and they'd be more of a brown
than red. I don't doubt they exist, but I think they'd tend to
overheat and char if you ever ran them too tight.

my bandsaw has red phenolic blocks. they appear to be original
equipment on a saw from the 60's and worn but serviceable and no sign
of burning.

HDPE is IIRC heat formable. doesn't seem like it would be a great
choice for bandsaw blocks....