Mike

Default Band saw cool blocks?

Cool Blocks replacement. I have been selling Lignum Vitae wood guide blocks
for $5 a set of four for both Grizzly, Jet and Delta bandsaws. This wood is
self lubricating and so dense it won't float. I've sold nearly 100 sets on
woodnet forum.
Cheers Mike
wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 12:46:07 +0100, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:28:22 -0500, Dan Valleskey valleskey at
comcast dot net wrote:

Cool blocks are just basically micarta, far as I can tell. Micarta
comes in many colors.

True for Micarta, buit not for CoolBlocks.

Coolblocks are similar to Micarta, in that they're layers of fabric in
a polymer matrix. However Cool Blocks are also impregnated with a
lubricant (MS2 ?) which Micarta isn't. This colours their matrix dark
grey.

it I saw that the blocks at the top and bottom guides are a red color.

The red blocks that I've seen seemed to be HDPE.

I've not seen plain phenolic blocks, and they'd be more of a brown
than red. I don't doubt they exist, but I think they'd tend to
overheat and char if you ever ran them too tight.

my bandsaw has red phenolic blocks. they appear to be original
equipment on a saw from the 60's and worn but serviceable and no sign
of burning.

HDPE is IIRC heat formable. doesn't seem like it would be a great
choice for bandsaw blocks....