Old December 24th 03, 09:10 PM
Greg G.

Default Question About Cool Blocks

Just picked up a set of Cool Blocks from Highland Hardware.
Went to install them and noticed that they don't fit well at all.
Measured the old blocks, exactly 1/2"
Measured the Cool Blocks, they are 1/32" shy on all dimensions.
Makes for a pretty sloppy fit and it's hard to make the faces parallel
to the blade and stay that way when tightening.

Can anyone who uses these things tell me if this is normal, or did I
get a bum batch?

Thanks,

Greg G.

Old December 24th 03, 10:14 PM
Kenneth

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 16:10:31 -0500, Greg G. wrote:

Just picked up a set of Cool Blocks from Highland Hardware.
Went to install them and noticed that they don't fit well at all.
Measured the old blocks, exactly 1/2"
Measured the Cool Blocks, they are 1/32" shy on all dimensions.
Makes for a pretty sloppy fit and it's hard to make the faces parallel
to the blade and stay that way when tightening.

Can anyone who uses these things tell me if this is normal, or did I
get a bum batch?

Thanks,

Greg G.

Hi Greg,

I would doubt that you have a bum batch... My guess would be that you
have a set for a different machine.

HTH,

--
Kenneth

Old December 24th 03, 10:19 PM
Greg G.

Kenneth said:

Hi Greg,

I would doubt that you have a bum batch... My guess would be that you
have a set for a different machine.

Right part number. And it included the 45 degree block for the lower
guide on a 14" Delta. Should be the right parts - they just fit
poorly.

Greg G.
Old December 24th 03, 10:22 PM
Greg G.

Kenneth said:

I would doubt that you have a bum batch... My guess would be that you
have a set for a different machine.

BTW, do you use them? Do you have a Delta 14" bandsaw?
How do they fit your machine?

Greg G.
Old December 24th 03, 10:25 PM
Kenneth

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 17:19:18 -0500, Greg G. wrote:

Right part number. And it included the 45 degree block for the lower
guide on a 14" Delta. Should be the right parts - they just fit
poorly.

Greg G.

Hi again Greg,

If they were whittled on someone's porch maybe, but these are machined
parts. It just does not seem at all likely that they would be off by a
32nd in every dimension.

I would not try to install them if it were my machine. Of course it is
tough with the holidays, but I would contact the retailer to find out
what's up.

Good luck with it,

--
Kenneth

Old December 24th 03, 10:27 PM
Kenneth

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 17:22:19 -0500, Greg G. wrote:

BTW, do you use them? Do you have a Delta 14" bandsaw?
How do they fit your machine?

Greg G.

Nope, I have an Hitachi, and use ball bearing guides...

--
Kenneth

Old December 24th 03, 10:53 PM
Greg G.

Kenneth said:

Hello Kenneth,

If they were whittled on someone's porch maybe, but these are machined
parts. It just does not seem at all likely that they would be off by a
32nd in every dimension.

Ahh, thou who are so young and naive. g
People sell crap every day of the year.

I know they *shouldn't* fit badly, but they do. This could be their
excuse for 'normal'. This is why I asked if anyone had experience
with them on a 14" Delta Bandsaw.

I would not try to install them if it were my machine. Of course it is
tough with the holidays, but I would contact the retailer to find out
what's up.

Tried to call them, they closed early today. grrrr
I still have the stock blocks, but I have this new $30.00 WoodSlicer
blade, and REALLY wanted to re-saw some oak tomorrow with tight new
guides.

SWMBO is out of town, and I got nothin' else to do.

Bastages. g

Greg G.
Old December 24th 03, 11:43 PM
BRuce

"machine" some out of oak to the correct tolerances. some posters here
also soak them in WD40 but I haven't found a need to do that. sometimes
I use PAM on the the blade but only if I am cutting green stock. I use
them for all my blades, from 1/8 to 3/4.

BRuce

Greg wrote:
Kenneth said:

Hello Kenneth,

[...]

---

BRuce

Old December 24th 03, 11:51 PM
Greg G.

BRuce said:

"machine" some out of oak to the correct tolerances. some posters here
also soak them in WD40 but I haven't found a need to do that. sometimes
I use PAM on the the blade but only if I am cutting green stock. I use
them for all my blades, from 1/8 to 3/4.

Yea, I've heard of that. Was trying to avoid the machine work.
The time is worth more than the $10 Cool Blocks cost, but then again,
maybe not - if they fit like these do... these things suck!
Thanks,

Greg G.
Old December 25th 03, 12:25 AM
Swingman

Howdy, Greg,

I've had them on my Delta 28-299 14" for a couple of years. Saw your post
and went out to the shop and hit them with a dial caliper for you.

Mine measure precisely 0.46 square, which is, as you say, about 15/32".

I never had a problem installing them, or adjusting them and they work fine
on the saw.

FWIW ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net