Cicero

Default Breeze blocks

I've just watched a TV programme showing a small garden wall being built
from breeze blocks. The wall was roughly rendered when finished. Is this a
sensible thing to do as I was under the impression that these blocks were
for 'internal' use only? I remember leaving a few of these blocks out in my
garden and they disintegrated quite quickly. Is the render sufficient to
make them suitable for external use or are the people in the TV programme
mistaken?

Any thoughts on the subject?

Cic.

Lee

Cicero wrote:
I've just watched a TV programme showing a small garden wall being built
from breeze blocks. The wall was roughly rendered when finished. Is this a
sensible thing to do as I was under the impression that these blocks were
for 'internal' use only? I remember leaving a few of these blocks out in my
garden and they disintegrated quite quickly. Is the render sufficient to
make them suitable for external use or are the people in the TV programme
mistaken?

Neighbour did this 3 years ago, the wall is still there...

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com
Grunff

Cicero wrote:

I've just watched a TV programme showing a small garden wall being built
from breeze blocks. The wall was roughly rendered when finished. Is this a
sensible thing to do as I was under the impression that these blocks were
for 'internal' use only? I remember leaving a few of these blocks out in my
garden and they disintegrated quite quickly. Is the render sufficient to
make them suitable for external use or are the people in the TV programme
mistaken?

Any thoughts on the subject?

The term breeze block is used to describe many different things. It
could mean standard concrete blocks, or it could mean aerated blocks
(thermalites, celcons etc).

Standard concrete blocks are fine for permanent exposure. As for aerated
concrete, this varies. Standard aerated concrete blocks, which are very
low density and have quite large bubbles don't weather too well. OTOH
high density aerated concrete (rated at 7N) are fine for permanent exposure.

--
Grunff
Cicero

"Grunff" wrote in message
Cicero wrote:

[...]

=============
Those shown on the programme were (as far as I could tell) the light-weight
blocks which can be cut with a handsaw. Definitely not concrete blocks.
Would the 'high density aerated' be cuttable with a handsaw?

Cic.

Grunff

Cicero wrote:

Would the 'high density aerated' be cuttable with a handsaw?

Yes - I cut a couple of hundred of them that way last summer :-) They
are harder work than the low density 'normal' ones, but they do cut fine.

--
Grunff

Cicero

"Grunff" wrote in message
Cicero wrote:

Would the 'high density aerated' be cuttable with a handsaw?

Yes - I cut a couple of hundred of them that way last summer :-) They
are harder work than the low density 'normal' ones, but they do cut fine.

--
Grunff

=================
Thanks,

I might try using some of them since they're much easier to handle than the
heavy concrete ones. I'm planning a new wall in the back garden some time
this summer.

Cic.

Grunff

Cicero wrote:

I might try using some of them since they're much easier to handle than the
heavy concrete ones. I'm planning a new wall in the back garden some time
this summer.

I used 1300 7N smooth faced thermalites to build my shed. The advantages
are that they are easier to handle and more insulating. The main
disadvantage is that they are a lot more expensive (£1 v. 40p)

--
Grunff

henly blocks with seals Mark UK diy 15 January 21st 04 08:58 AM
Replacing hardwood floor blocks with tiles Stephen Jones UK diy 0 July 30th 03 12:46 PM
Using glass blocks? StealthUK UK diy 2 July 13th 03 11:53 PM