Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Any suggestions for respirators

wrote in message

I'm looking to get a half mask organic vapor respirator. Knowing how I
am I am sure that I will not use it as often as I should if the thing
is either too uncomfortable or too hard to put on and take off. If
you Google "comfortable respirator" every company claims theirs is the
most comfortable respirator on the market.

I got one of these from Hell Depot a couple of years back and then they
stopped selling them so I had to hunt down a safety supply company that had
replacement filters. But now Woodcraft has them, and I've stockpiled spare
filters.

It's easy to clean, easy to change filters, and I've had no trouble getting
it to seal on my face. "Comfortable"--well, you know, it's never bothered
me enough that I've removed it when I should have been wearing it. You can
drop the mask down so it hangs from the lower strap when you don't need it
but you'd have to remove your hardhat to do that (or at least remove it to
put the top strap on your head when you need the mask again).

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/Pro...e-394a8e10603e

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

How many people wear a hardhat in their garage/basement woodshop?

Apparently the original poster.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Some folks accuse me of being a safety freak.

Well - whatever floats yer boat. I'm not going to tell anyone else that
their preferences are not right.

That is OK. I still have all ten fingers.

I do too, and I'm a safety moderate.

I don't wear a hardhat when woodworking, but the way some of my projects go
it might not be a bad idea....

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DGDevin" wrote in message

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Some folks accuse me of being a safety freak.

Well - whatever floats yer boat. I'm not going to tell anyone else that
their preferences are not right.

That is OK. I still have all ten fingers.

I do too, and I'm a safety moderate.

I don't wear a hardhat when woodworking, but the way some of my projects
go it might not be a bad idea....

It is kinda like a kevlar vest that does its job. Once you save your head
(ass) from something with it, you become a believer. It is hard to shake
that once it takes hold.

My "awakening" moment occured when I was all of 11 years of age. I was
riding on the side of a small John Deer bulldozer. My grandfather was
driving and we were going up into the woods to get some trees. It was part
of his small logging operation. He hit a small tree's root, which snapped it
right down on my head. Most of the tree broke off on the roof of the
bulldozer. But the rest crashed into an old looger's tin hat. It put a big
dent in it. It knocked me off of the cat and left me a bit dazed.

I can only imagine what would have happened if I had not been wearing that
thing. And I have been protected a number of times since that time by a hard
hat. I have had several of them including a "management white" hard hat. I
grew up around people who were victims of various work related injuries.
They occured for various reasons, such as stupidity, poor safety practices
and even drunkeness.

Those folks were my role models. I vowed to never do anything they did or
suffer those types of injuries. I was a dissapointment to my family. When I
got out of high school, I vanished from my old home town. I have been back
rarely since.

A counselor once called me risk averse.. That is OK. I survived childhood. I
don't need any more adventure in my life.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

It is kinda like a kevlar vest that does its job. Once you save your head
(ass) from something with it, you become a believer. It is hard to shake
that once it takes hold.

Well, for the most part my woodworking project don't involve big heavy
things over my head. If I was working in an environment that did involve
the possibility of falling objects I would certainly wear cranial protection
(I got used to that working in the oil/gas fields as a much younger
man--that job also left me with a liking for fire-retardant coveralls).
I've also reformed on the subjects of safety glasses, ear protection,
dust/vapor masks and so on--must be something to do with advancing age. I
also wear a helmet when I'm riding my mountain bike, something I couldn't
have imagined as a kid.

So I'm not opposed to hardhats on philosophical grounds, I just don't see a
need for one when when hand-sanding some baseboard or applying polyurethane
to a bookcase three feet high.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Stuart wrote:
In article ,
Lee Michaels wrote:
Some folks accuse me of being a safety freak. That is OK. I still have
all ten fingers.

With ten fingers you must be some kind of freak :-)

Well, for _years_, he helped Hemingway raise cats. Who caught what from
whom, and *how* is a still-unanswered question.

"Twas a dark and stormy night, Lee and a herd of cats huddled in a
cave. ...."