Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Looking for someone to change some bearings for me

I have a JET JTAS Cabinet saw and the arbor bearings seized up on me. This
has been a long time coming. I replaced the bearings about 2 years ago but
managed to damage them in the process of installation.

They were noisy but functional until this morning.

I don't have the right tooling or skills to remove and reinsert bearing
properly. I would rather ship the arbor assembly to someone and have them
swap out the bearings for me.

Can anyone her reccomend a source for this type of service?

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "C & S" wrote:
I have a JET JTAS Cabinet saw and the arbor bearings seized up on me. This
has been a long time coming. I replaced the bearings about 2 years ago but
managed to damage them in the process of installation.

They were noisy but functional until this morning.

I don't have the right tooling or skills to remove and reinsert bearing
properly. I would rather ship the arbor assembly to someone and have them
swap out the bearings for me.

Can anyone her reccomend a source for this type of service?

Grab your local Yellow Pages and look under "Machine Shops". Or you may be
able to change them out with a ball joint press, available for rental at most
auto parts stores. If you live anywhere near Indianapolis, give me a shout at
doug at milmac dot com -- I have several presses; we may be able to make
something work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Look for the obvious. A motor repair shop. They have large presses to
install these friction fit bearing races.

Motor repairs is what they do.

"C & S" wrote in message
I have a JET JTAS Cabinet saw and the arbor bearings seized up on me. This
has been a long time coming. I replaced the bearings about 2 years ago but
managed to damage them in the process of installation.

They were noisy but functional until this morning.

I don't have the right tooling or skills to remove and reinsert bearing
properly. I would rather ship the arbor assembly to someone and have them
swap out the bearings for me.

Can anyone her reccomend a source for this type of service?

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Josepi wrote:
Look for the obvious. A motor repair shop. They have large presses to
install these friction fit bearing races.

Motor repairs is what they do.

Owing to the potential for differences in terms - here in the US - just
about any car repair facility will have a press. Any machine shop will too.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Differences in terms? One guy spouts off with some guess and everybody else
assumes. Is that any better? LOL

Motor repair shops had a $20 1/4" B&D drill rebuild flat fee, years ago,
which covered this type of thing. Lube bearings, replace as required, clean
end bells, windings, rings, etc.
Later, the drills became less than that price and costs went up so the
everyday man's drill became disposable.

Motor windings and bearings is what they do, a lot, and they are more likely
to have that small equipment bearing and the appropriate jigs right on their
shelves.

Josepi wrote:
Look for the obvious. A motor repair shop. They have large presses to
install these friction fit bearing races.

Motor repairs is what they do.

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"C & S" wrote in message
I have a JET JTAS Cabinet saw and the arbor bearings seized up on me. This
has been a long time coming. I replaced the bearings about 2 years ago but
managed to damage them in the process of installation.

They were noisy but functional until this morning.

I don't have the right tooling or skills to remove and reinsert bearing
properly. I would rather ship the arbor assembly to someone and have them
swap out the bearings for me.

Can anyone her reccomend a source for this type of service?

Thanks,

Steve
I have an Automotive Engine shop (builds to blueprint and rebuilds) in
town. They do all kinds of work for me, from bearings to threaded inserts
and etc.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks all for the suggestions. It's all better now.

I'm a little off the beaten path so the "just go to your local machine shop"
suggestions do not really apply.

I struck out with my car mechanic the last time I had this problem. He just
looked at me like I had 3 heads.

My BIL checked out a bearing supply place in Montreal. The would be happy to
sell me bearings, but did not do install.

I found this place on the internet: http://www.sawcenter.com/service.htm.
They were my backup plan.

I found succes with a Mom and pop motor repair place 20 miles away that I
had paronized for a jointer motor issue about a year ago.
http://www.manionelectric.com/

$50 to labor and bearings with a 1/2 day turnaround. I though that was very
reasonable.

Cheers,

Steve