Old May 29th 10, 06:43 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sealing edge of particle board

Bea Essor wrote:
Several years ago, I made closet shelves out of 3/4" particle board.
To smooth out the edges I used dry wall compound for a filler. Then I
painted them.
They are still as good as ever. Dry wall compound is cheap dries
pretty fast and is easy to sand.

Ingenious idea Bea, thanks. That would also smooth it out really well, and
I still have a big box of the stuff.

Jon

Old May 29th 10, 06:45 PM posted to rec.woodworking

notbob wrote:

Near as I can tell, it goes by the generic name of edging or edge
banding. I have no experience with it, but plan to try it if I cut
some vaneered particle board and need to cover the exposed raw edges.

http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneeri...ding-guide.htm

Neat product. I usually glue veneer on the edge of plywood for projects,
but that looks a heckuva lot easier (and quicker) to apply. Thanks!

Jon

Old May 29th 10, 10:03 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Artemus wrote:

Latex caulk.
Art

'Ya know, that had actually crossed my mind. I wonder if thinning it
slightly with some latex primer would make it more "brushable" and give it
bit more penetration.

Jon

I've not had any problems with it sticking and I just run a finger down the
edge pushing it in as I go and cleaning the excess with a paper towel. This
leaves a slight texture and if you want a dead flat edge with crisp corners
then drywall compound put on with a putty knife is a better way to go.
Art

Old May 29th 10, 10:41 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 28 May 2010 20:39:07 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

This isn't really much in the way of a "fine woodworking" question, but I
hope it will be close enough to on topic.

I bought a metal shelving unit that uses particle board to put on top of the
structure. The particle board, of course, is unfinished.

As I will be at least putting a coat of primer on the particle board, I am
looking for a way to seal up the edges.

I have seen references to using a thin mixture of wood glue, and that seems
like a decent way to go. For anyone who has used that, how thin did you
make it? Maybe a 1:2 ratio of water to glue?

Any other methods?

Thanks,

Jon

Depends on the application. I have filled edges with joint compound
before sealing with a shellac primer. I guess a shop-made wood filler
will work too, but less water the better--you centainly dont want the
particle board to swell near the edges.
Old May 30th 10, 04:06 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sealing edge of particle board (Followup)

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I went with Bea's (and later, other
posters) suggestion and used a joint compound.

I couldn't find my regular joint compound, so I used "Fixall" by Custom
instead. It had the advantage of allowing me to paint it with latex paint
right after I applied it, so I got the edge fill and painting done at the
same time.

The edges finished up very nice.

Jon

Old May 30th 10, 05:12 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 29 May 2010 10:45:19 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

notbob wrote:

Near as I can tell, it goes by the generic name of edging or edge
banding. I have no experience with it, but plan to try it if I cut
some vaneered particle board and need to cover the exposed raw edges.

http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneeri...ding-guide.htm

Neat product. I usually glue veneer on the edge of plywood for projects,
but that looks a heckuva lot easier (and quicker) to apply. Thanks!

Jon

The "iron on" stuff sometimes works, but more often comes off before
you want it to. I often use the "pound in" type "T" molding to edge
particle board. Just cut a saw kerf doun the middle and knock the
plastic molding in.
Old May 30th 10, 05:22 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-05-30, wrote:

particle board. Just cut a saw kerf doun the middle and knock the
plastic molding in.

Excuse my cluelessness, but how do you saw such a slot (kerf)?

nb
Old May 30th 10, 01:41 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-05-30, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Carefully. Run the edge down across the table saw. Or, run edge in on a
router table with a slot cutting bit mounted. Or, stretch a biscuit jointer
to it's limits by running it along the edge. Or, run a hand held router
along the edge (router base flat on face of board.

I'd use either of the router options. As would sellers of T-Molding.

I kinda suspected the router option, but also have zero router experience.
Probably should learn some router basics and look at a basic router
and bits. Thank you.

nb
Old May 30th 10, 09:00 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-05-30, wrote:

particle board. Just cut a saw kerf doun the middle and knock the
plastic molding in.

Excuse my cluelessness, but how do you saw such a slot (kerf)?

nb

I do it with a high fence on a table saw, but a friend made a jig that
fits the "shoe " of his skill saw that does the job very nicely.

Diabolical particle board Existential Angst Woodworking 10 December 3rd 09 03:56 PM
Tiling on particle board Gib Bogle UK diy 9 April 26th 09 11:49 PM
Particle Board Woes Bill Woodworking 18 October 22nd 07 12:40 AM
Old particle board subfloor [email protected] Home Repair 13 June 14th 07 01:01 AM
Sealing End Grain PlywoodHigh Density Particle board butch burton Woodworking 2 March 2nd 06 03:15 PM