Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Diabolical particle board

Awl --

So my local corner church ( who for the longest time donated its very nice
stone wall to the asses of the local Drug Dealers and other non-taxpaying
self-employed) has regular tag sales, and one of the things that didn't
sell last week (and thusly got picked up off the street at midnight by yers
truly), was a nice-ish Ikea-ish dining room/breakfast room table, with side
extensions.

I took it for the sizable piece of wood, and under the sodium street lamp,
it looked perty nice.
I figgered it was particle board, but when I looked on the underside, lo and
behold, it had that that butchery-block appearance of nice biscut-joined
pine. What a find -- esp these days!
Sheeit, I mused, it's gonna be a shame to cut this up!! Mebbe I should go
back for the frame?!

So I placed it -- and a Nordic Track Xcountry skier, that also didn't
sell -- in m'truck, preparing for my gloat.

So, under my shop fluorescents, it still looked perty nice, but ahm lookin
anyway, lookin some more, saying, Wow, if this is pine, I haven't quite seen
a finish like THIS on top....
And, where's the end/side grain???

But, but, It's GOTTA be pine, well, cuz of the underside -- right??.

Wouldn'tcha know......
They *papered the underside in butcherblock*!!!
GOT ME!!!!

No doubt for the would-be "savvy" home-moaners (such as myself), who thought
they'd acquired a touch of experience.

I really chuckled over that one, and promptly cut the top up.

Man, you can never ever ever relax yer consumer vigilance.

I think my new invention (right after my Bachelor sink comes out, you know,
the one with urinal lip on the front, with a mini-flushometer) is going to
be Particle Butcher Block, made out of particle board!

So yeah, it will be a Butcher's Block.......

Oh, on the Nordic track, not sure, but I think the wood there is oak --
which is much more useful than the exerciser itself.

--
EA, and harmlessly PV'd

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

Could it be that the assembler could choose which side to show for the top?

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:

I think my new invention (right after my Bachelor sink comes out, you know,
the one with urinal lip on the front, with a mini-flushometer) is going to
be Particle Butcher Block, made out of particle board!

So yeah, it will be a Butcher's Block.......

You be punk'd, dood!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 30, 7:34*pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
[...]

Haha, I disassembled one of those skiers for the wood too. Some of it
is solid wood, and other pieces are plywood. All straight and clear,
nice finish on them.

Scrily
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

I recently posted about the newer fake grain in particle board for
furniture. (actually it's been around for 10+ years) The grain is
stamped onto the board. They even make the stamp so the individual
pieces of butcher block are uneven, especially on the bottom. Feeling
the wood really makes it seem real.

(since we are talking about wood I deleted rec.crafts.metalworking)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Tony" wrote in message
Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

Heh -- particle board barely qualifies as wood. Mebbe need rec.pressboard.
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Dec 1, 11:54*am, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message

Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

EA- Hide quoted text -

See this shed? Looks like rough sawn T11 ply right?

http://www.handyhome.com/kingston.htm

Trust me, it looks like T11 ply up close up.

It's "engineered press board".

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message

Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

Grimace. Yeah, sounds like the faux T1-11 that is on my place. Under a
woodpecker's beak, it feels and smells like a rotten tree trunk. I now
have six patches in the wood chimney stack for my faux tin fireplace. I
priced getting house resided in Hardy T1-11. Only 17 grand or so....

--
aem sends, trying to remember if has any more leftover 1/4 luan to cut
patches out of....

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 30, 5:34*pm, "Existential Angst"
wrote:
[...]

It's up-scale particle board. When applying laminates, a balance
sheet should be applied to the opposite side to avoid warping. In
most cases, this is just a no-pattern laminate sheet. I should say,
in most cases where they apply the balance sheet, I've seen I don't
know how many counter tops and table tops where they didn't and they
got that familiar edge swoop upwards typical of the cheap stuff.

Stan