Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: "Drill Baby Drill"

On Sat, 08 May 2010 11:24:57 -0400, Jack Stein
wrote the following:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Jack Stein" wrote
Corvairs, VW, Isetta's and todays smart cars (and more) are/were
death traps looking for a place to happen.

I got T-boned on the driver's door in my Corvair by a Mach truck pulling
a flatbed. I needed a Band-Aid. Sturdy thing; with I still had it.

Sturdy my ass. The Corvair was a death trap, just like the Pinto and
about every other small car of it's day.

The Corvair was one of the very first unibodies, designed to fold up
in the proper manner, absorbing the impact so it protects the
passengers.

Going after just Ford for the Pinto was a Ralph Nader witch hunt.
Your chances of surviving being rear ended by a truck in a pinto had
to be better than getting rear ended in a smart car. Hell, I think a
murder cycle stands a good chance against a smart car or an Isetta.

You've seen the Smart crash tests on You Tube right?

No, have they done something to defy the laws of physics?

No, they prove how dangerous the little roller scates are.

--
Live forever or die in the attempt.
-- Joseph Heller, Catch 22
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 08 May 2010 11:46:04 -0400, Jack Stein
wrote the following:

J. Clarke wrote:
On 5/7/2010 11:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Jack Stein" wrote
Corvairs, VW, Isetta's and todays smart cars (and more) are/were death
traps looking for a place to happen.

I got T-boned on the driver's door in my Corvair by a Mach truck pulling
a flatbed. I needed a Band-Aid. Sturdy thing; with I still had it.

Going after just Ford for the Pinto was a Ralph Nader witch hunt.

Uh, Nader made his reputation going after GM for the Corvair, then
flushed it going after the Beetle.

You could be right, my memory is him going after the Pinto. The Corvair
and the Beetle were death traps as well, but I only recall news stories
about him and the Pinto. Some people still think the Corvair was a
"Sturdy thing" It wasn't, and neither were the VW or the Isetta or a
slew of other small cars. People burning up in fiery crashes were
about the same in the Pinto as any other car, but the world was
convinced Pinto's had a corner on the market, and they didn't.

http://www.wfu.edu/~palmitar/Law&Valuation/Papers/1999/Leggett-pinto.html

The real danger was simply physics. Low weight, small vehicle hitting a
higher weight, large vehicle. The small guy loses most every time.

Ayup.

--
Live forever or die in the attempt.
-- Joseph Heller, Catch 22
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote the following:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Can you skate with a scate? I noticed that *Mach* truck too. Musta bin a
fast mutha.

Max (used to ice skate)

If you admit you're crazy you can still fly. Doc Daneeka.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 May 2010 16:11:01 -0600, "Max"
wrote the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

No, they prove how dangerous the little roller scates are.

Can you skate with a scate?

Hey, who changed my post? blush

I noticed that *Mach* truck too. Musta bin a
fast mutha.

I saw that, too, for a split second.

--
Live forever or die in the attempt.
-- Joseph Heller, Catch 22
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Jack Stein" wrote
Corvairs, VW, Isetta's and todays smart cars (and more) are/were
death traps looking for a place to happen.

I got T-boned on the driver's door in my Corvair by a Mach truck pulling
a flatbed. I needed a Band-Aid. Sturdy thing; with I still had it.

Sturdy my ass. The Corvair was a death trap, just like the Pinto and
about every other small car of it's day.

I was not killed, not even injured. Your opinion does not coincide with my
real life experience. Handled well too. In spite of Nader, I could whip it
around corners faster than any other car I ever owned -- safely. Never got
stuck in the snow either. Yes, I'd buy another if they started making them
tomorrow.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Jack Stein" wrote
Corvairs, VW, Isetta's and todays smart cars (and more) are/were
death traps looking for a place to happen.

I got T-boned on the driver's door in my Corvair by a Mach truck
pulling
a flatbed. I needed a Band-Aid. Sturdy thing; with I still had it.

Sturdy my ass. The Corvair was a death trap, just like the Pinto and
about every other small car of it's day.

I was not killed, not even injured. Your opinion does not coincide with
my real life experience. Handled well too. In spite of Nader, I could
whip it around corners faster than any other car I ever owned -- safely.
Never got stuck in the snow either. Yes, I'd buy another if they started
making them tomorrow.

Me too, Ed. I had a neat little '64 coupe. It was a fun car.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Jack Stein" wrote
Corvairs, VW, Isetta's and todays smart cars (and more) are/were
death traps looking for a place to happen.

I got T-boned on the driver's door in my Corvair by a Mach truck
pulling
a flatbed. I needed a Band-Aid. Sturdy thing; with I still had it.

Sturdy my ass. The Corvair was a death trap, just like the Pinto and
about every other small car of it's day.

I was not killed, not even injured. Your opinion does not coincide with
my real life experience. Handled well too. In spite of Nader, I could
whip it around corners faster than any other car I ever owned -- safely.
Never got stuck in the snow either. Yes, I'd buy another if they started
making them tomorrow.

Somebody took them racing in Europe. They were beating the works
Porsches. Nadir did not win one single lawsuit but he managed to
convince people that they were deadly anyway. If there was any justice
in the world, Nadir would have gotten drafted and blown up in a tank.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Jack Stein" wrote
Corvairs, VW, Isetta's and todays smart cars (and more) are/were
death traps looking for a place to happen.

I got T-boned on the driver's door in my Corvair by a Mach truck
pulling
a flatbed. I needed a Band-Aid. Sturdy thing; with I still had it.

Sturdy my ass. The Corvair was a death trap, just like the Pinto and
about every other small car of it's day.

I was not killed, not even injured. Your opinion does not coincide with
my real life experience. Handled well too. In spite of Nader, I could
whip it around corners faster than any other car I ever owned -- safely.
Never got stuck in the snow either. Yes, I'd buy another if they started
making them tomorrow.

Me too, Ed. I had a neat little '64 coupe. It was a fun car.

I don't know that I'd buy another GM product, but I owned and loved
two different '62 Corvair convertibles and even ran the nicest one on
the (mild) motocross track my friends had built. She -flew-, by Crom!

--
The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest her
or his patients in the care of the human frame, in a proper diet, and
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Jack Stein" wrote
Corvairs, VW, Isetta's and todays smart cars (and more) are/were
death traps looking for a place to happen.
I got T-boned on the driver's door in my Corvair by a Mach truck pulling
a flatbed. I needed a Band-Aid. Sturdy thing; with I still had it.

Sturdy my ass. The Corvair was a death trap, just like the Pinto and
about every other small car of it's day.

The Corvair was one of the very first unibodies, designed to fold up
in the proper manner, absorbing the impact so it protects the
passengers.

Well that didn't work very well. Nothing much there to "fold up" I
guess it would do OK if a Smart Car ran into it at low speed. Out of
curiosity, it would be interesting to see the death per accident ratio
of the Corvair vs Pinto vs Isetta vs Falcon and so on and so forth.
Just knowing how the basic construction tells me the Pinto did better,
but if so, not by much. They were all death traps. I had a 54 Merc and
a 55 Ford Crown Vic and it was next to impossible to keep the doors from
flying open around a bend... No seat belts either. I remember feeling
somewhat safe because I had the steering wheel to hang onto...

My buddies mother had a brand new, 1962 Corvair and I recall at around
100 mph, with 5 juvenile delinquents in it, the front end would lift off
the ground and he could, and did, turn the front wheels without the car
noticing. Had anything gone awry, I would not be here to harass all you
saw dust jockey's.

You've seen the Smart crash tests on You Tube right?

No, have they done something to defy the laws of physics?

No, they prove how dangerous the little roller scates are.

Well, I still didn't see them. I thought he was insinuating they were
somehow safe? It does look like they are attempting to make them safer
than they look, but still, laws of physics are hard to overcome:-)

--
Jack
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
People burning up in fiery crashes were
about the same in the Pinto as any other car, but the world was
convinced Pinto's had a corner on the market, and they didn't.

http://www.wfu.edu/~palmitar/Law&Valuation/Papers/1999/Leggett-pinto.html

Great link there Larry, too much for now but I saved it to peruse later.

As far as cost risk analysis that get a hair up everyones nose, I look
at it like the Saw Stop. I don't want anyone mandating that I get rid
of my saw and buy a Saw Stop, or buy Saw Stop technology because it is
risky not to use it. My saw has been used for 50+ years w/o any major
damage, and no saw stop, no guard even. I can afford a Saw Stop, and I
could have a roll cage installed in my truck, make everyone that enters
my truck wear a NASCAR approved crash helmet, and a fire suit, but, I
choose not too.

--
Jack
I'm not as dumb as you look.
Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

In defense of Obama, there were fifty-seven venues in which the Democratic
Party held primaries.

* The fifty states, of course.
* District of Columbia.
* Guam.
* Puerto Rico.
* U.S. Virgin Islands.
* American Samoa, er...
* Rhodesia, and, er,
* Patagonia

In defense of truth, Obama said "states" and he thought there were 57
of them (states, not "venues") not including the "states" of Alaska and
Hawaii.

Your defense of Obama is, like Obama, a fraud.
--
Jack
Got Change: Inconvenient Truth ===== Convenient Lies!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Max wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

No, they prove how dangerous the little roller scates are.

Can you skate with a scate? I noticed that *Mach* truck too. Musta
bin a fast mutha.

Max (used to ice skate)

If you have nothing to say but spell check, then you will need
permission from Robocop, the official, nothing to say, rec spell cop.

--
Jack
News Flash: Government Motors (GM) fines their top competitor $16 Mil.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Jack Stein wrote:
...snipped...
The real danger was simply physics. Low weight, small vehicle hitting a
higher weight, large vehicle. The small guy loses most every time.

True enough if all other things are equal. But often other things are
not equal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

It's a shame what they did to the '59 here but I'd sure rather be in
the '09 in a crash.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Nader was, and is, a nosy little busybody who, unable to do anything useful,
decided to attack the productive segments of society. His attacks on
the Corvair were shameful, dishonest, and unhinged from reality. Yes,
smaller cars are at disadvantage to larger vehicles. But, IIRC, this
was not his beef. He objected to the independent suspension of the
Corvair as I recall, a design idea now seen in virtually all modern
vehicles. This is what happens when people become professional gadflys,
political pundits, politicians, and cause monkeys - they do nothing of
value in their own right, choosing instead to live a life reflecting on
the accomplishments of of others ... kind of like being a Community Organizer.

Or a lawyer, or, a lawyer community organizer!

Barf!

--
Jack
Got Change: God Bless America ====== God Damn Amerika!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
Max wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

No, they prove how dangerous the little roller scates are.

Can you skate with a scate? I noticed that *Mach* truck too. Musta bin
a fast mutha.

Max (used to ice skate)

If you have nothing to say but spell check, then you will need permission
from Robocop, the official, nothing to say, rec spell cop.

--
Jack
News Flash: Government Motors (GM) fines their top competitor $16 Mil.
http://jbstein.com

Thank you, Jack, for the instructions on the proper etiquette for Usenet.
Please accept my apologies for not realizing that this NG had a moderator.
Is there an e-mail address to which I can submit my comments for approval?

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
"Jack Stein" wrote in message
Max wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

No, they prove how dangerous the little roller scates are.

Can you skate with a scate? I noticed that *Mach* truck too. Musta
bin a fast mutha.

Max (used to ice skate)

If you have nothing to say but spell check, then you will need permission
from Robocop, the official, nothing to say, rec spell cop.

--
Jack
News Flash: Government Motors (GM) fines their top competitor $16 Mil.
http://jbstein.com

Thank you, Jack, for the instructions on the proper etiquette for Usenet.
Please accept my apologies for not realizing that this NG had a moderator.
Is there an e-mail address to which I can submit my comments for approval?

The proper protocol for dealing with Jack Stain is to killfile him.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Lee Michaels" wrote

"Max" wrote:

Thank you, Jack, for the instructions on the proper etiquette for Usenet.
Please accept my apologies for not realizing that this NG had a
moderator.
Is there an e-mail address to which I can submit my comments for
approval?

The proper protocol for dealing with Jack Stain is to killfile him.

I read that rather hastily and missed the "file".
Hmmm. Freudian?

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 9, 12:24*pm, Jack Stein wrote:
Max wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
No, they prove how dangerous the little roller scates are.

Can you skate with a scate? *I noticed that *Mach* truck too. * Musta
bin a fast mutha.
Max (used to ice skate)

If you have nothing to say but spell check, then you will need
permission from Robocop, the official, nothing to say, rec spell cop.

Name ONE incident where I corrected anybody's spelling.
If you can't find it, STFU.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-05-08 22:41:27 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" said:

I was not killed, not even injured. Your opinion does not coincide
with my real life experience. Handled well too. In spite of Nader, I
could whip it around corners faster than any other car I ever owned --
safely. Never got stuck in the snow either. Yes, I'd buy another if
they started making them tomorrow.

By the time Nader's book was published, the Corvair's rear suspension
had been re-engineered to what it SHOULD have been to begin. That was a
fun car to scoot though corners.

Nader's always been a spoiler, not a crusader.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-05-09 06:40:36 -0400, "J. Clarke" said:

Nadir did not win one single lawsuit but he managed to convince people
that they were deadly anyway.

Enjoyed your misspelling -- it may be more accurate than intended!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-05-09 06:40:36 -0400, "J. Clarke" said:

Nadir did not win one single lawsuit but he managed to convince people
that they were deadly anyway.

Enjoyed your misspelling -- it may be more accurate than intended!

Oh, I assure you that it was intended. He'll always be a low point to me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote
Me too, Ed. I had a neat little '64 coupe. It was a fun car.

I don't know that I'd buy another GM product, but I owned and loved
two different '62 Corvair convertibles and even ran the nicest one on
the (mild) motocross track my friends had built. She -flew-, by Crom!

I had a Monza coupe with wide tires and a block that shortened the throw in
the shift linkage. Only thing I'd want different today is AC. The bucket
seat was comfortable on long rides too. Of course, my butt was narrower
back then too.

I'm far less happy with GM cars today though. The one in my driveway that
is falling apart is the last.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jack Stein" wrote

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I got T-boned on the driver's door in my Corvair by a Mack truck
pulling a flatbed. I needed a Band-Aid. Sturdy thing; with I still
had it.
Sturdy my ass. The Corvair was a death trap, just like the Pinto and
about every other small car of it's day.

The Corvair was one of the very first unibodies, designed to fold up
in the proper manner, absorbing the impact so it protects the
passengers.

Well that didn't work very well. Nothing much there to "fold up" I guess
it would do OK if a Smart Car ran into it at low speed. Out of curiosity,
it would be interesting to see the death per accident ratio of the Corvair
vs Pinto vs Isetta vs Falcon and so on and so forth.

It would be. As for metal to fold up, it did just that and protected me
against a truck and trailer that was in the 40,000 pound range. The roof
was folded up to a point in the center and door that was hit by the truck's
bumper was pushed in and it moved me over and I avoided serious injury.

You've seen the Smart crash tests on You Tube right?
No, have they done something to defy the laws of physics?

No, they prove how dangerous the little roller scates are.

Well, I still didn't see them. I thought he was insinuating they were
somehow safe? It does look like they are attempting to make them safer
than they look, but still, laws of physics are hard to overcome:-)

The car itself gets a lot of damage, but the passengers (test dummies) fare
rather well, actually. While you cannot change the laws of physics, good
engineering does help you work with it to diffuse and move energy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack Stein wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

In defense of Obama, there were fifty-seven venues in which the
Democratic Party held primaries.

* The fifty states, of course.
* District of Columbia.
* Guam.
* Puerto Rico.
* U.S. Virgin Islands.
* American Samoa, er...
* Rhodesia, and, er,
* Patagonia

In defense of truth, Obama said "states" and he thought there were 57
of them (states, not "venues") not including the "states" of Alaska and
Hawaii.

Your defense of Obama is, like Obama, a fraud.

Just to throw gasoline on the fire here, there may not be 57 states in the
USA, but there are 57 states in the Organization of Islamic Conferences
(OIC): http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/islamic-states.html. Freudian
slip?

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 08 May 2010 23:34:26 -0500, Tim Daneliuk
wrote:

Nader was, and is, a nosy little busybody who, unable to do anything useful,
decided to attack the productive segments of society.

vehicles. This is what happens when people become professional gadflys,
political pundits, politicians, and cause monkeys - they do nothing of
value in their own right, choosing instead to live a life reflecting on
the accomplishments of of others ... kind of like being a Community Organizer.

Well, what do you know. THAT'S YOU!!! You've described yourself to a
virtual T. You contribute nothing to this newsgroup, you've never
contributed *any* woodworking content to this newsgroup and you're
void of any future potential of doing so.

Same as all the political discussions you inflame here. You don't vote
for any party and haven't for some time, yet you consider yourself a
professional pundit on the topic.

You do nothing of any value in your own right and attempt to live what
little life you have vicariously through others who do make a
contribution.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 2 May 2010 16:20:13 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

The silence if deafening from the "Drill Baby Drill" crowd.

At least there is one small bright spot in this man made tragedy.

Lew

You think so? Check out what the fool in the White House did.

He finally did something for the U.S. instead of TO the U.S.

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield
for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

In defense of Obama, there were fifty-seven venues in which the
Democratic Party held primaries.
* The fifty states, of course.
* District of Columbia.
* Guam.
* Puerto Rico.
* U.S. Virgin Islands.
* American Samoa, er...
* Rhodesia, and, er,
* Patagonia

In defense of truth, Obama said "states" and he thought there were 57
of them (states, not "venues") not including the "states" of Alaska and
Hawaii.

Your defense of Obama is, like Obama, a fraud.

Just to throw gasoline on the fire here, there may not be 57 states in the
USA, but there are 57 states in the Organization of Islamic Conferences
(OIC): http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/islamic-states.html. Freudian
slip?

Only if you don't count Alaska and Hawaii...

--
Jack
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

If you have nothing to say but spell check, then you will need
permission from Robocop, the official, nothing to say, rec spell cop.

Name ONE incident where I corrected anybody's spelling.
If you can't find it, STFU.

Yikes! A Robocop denier... What a stroke of luck!
--
Jack
Got Change: Inconvenient Truth ===== Convenient Lies!
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 12, 9:02*am, Jack Stein wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
If you have nothing to say but spell check, then you will need
permission from Robocop, the official, nothing to say, rec spell cop.

Name ONE incident where I corrected anybody's spelling.
If you can't find it, STFU.

Yikes! A Robocop denier... *What a stroke of luck!

The denier was a French coin created by Charlemagne in the Early
Middle Ages. It was introduced together with an accounting system in
which twelve deniers equaled one sou and twenty sous equalled one
livre. This system and the denier itself served as the model for many
of Europe's currencies, including the British pound, Italian lira,
Spanish dinero and the Portuguese dinheiro.

But so far, nobody has minted a coin in my favour.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/12/2010 11:45 AM, Robatoy wrote:

But so far, nobody has minted a coin in my favour.

IIRC, Canada mints a "Loonie". )

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

But so far, nobody has minted a coin in my favour.
=================

Well, fire up that CNC maschine!!

Whacha waiting for?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/12/2010 1:17 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:
On 5/12/2010 11:45 AM, Robatoy wrote:

But so far, nobody has minted a coin in my favour.

IIRC, Canada mints a "Loonie". )

And a "Two-nie" to go with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
On 5/12/2010 11:45 AM, Robatoy wrote:

But so far, nobody has minted a coin in my favour.

IIRC, Canada mints a "Loonie". )

+1

Posted to rec.woodworking

The denier is also a measurement of the density of a fiber or thread. A
thread of length 9000 meters (about 5.6 miles) that weighs 1 gram
is a one denier thread. This definition, believe it or not, fits the actual
characteristics of a single strand of silk.