Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Buddy, can you spare me a Nine.........

I just got back from the local Woodcraft store, where I bought a "37
in 1 Professional Quality Stamping Tool Set" for $20. 26 letters,
"&", ".",......

....."AND 9 NUMBERS, 0 - 8".

I guess "9" isn't important anymore. But it's my own fault, it said
so right on the packaging.

Otherwise, the tool works well enough.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-21, Zz Yzx wrote:

I guess "9" isn't important anymore.

Turn the six upside down. Duh.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-21, Zz Yzx wrote:

I guess "9" isn't important anymore. *

Turn the six upside down. *Duh.

nb

I've been toying with the idea of using those to brand the date into
my projects, when I get around to ordering a branding iron with my
name on it, but I'm not sure how many sets I'd have to buy so I could
do it in just one stab. I think the most use of one digit would be
something like 1/11/2011 or 2/22/2012. Five sets.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-21, wrote:

do it in just one stab. I think the most use of one digit would be
something like 1/11/2011 or 2/22/2012. Five sets.

Try he

http://tinyurl.com/yj64l8g

I think the picture is misleading and the item is actually a single
stamp for $3.36. Call Brownells (gunsmithing stuff) for
clarification.

800-741-0015

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-21, wrote:

do it in just one stab. I think the most use of one digit would be
something like 1/11/2011 or 2/22/2012. Five sets.

Try he

http://tinyurl.com/yj64l8g

I think the picture is misleading and the item is actually a single
stamp for $3.36. Call Brownells (gunsmithing stuff) for
clarification.

800-741-0015

nb

How about where it clearly states,
"*Picture displayed may not represent the actual product."

As to the OP, I also saw this, "Sets of letters consist of 27
characters, including period. Sets of figures consist of nine characters
from 0 to 8, the 6 also being used for the 9."

Hey, we've all had brain farts.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

As to the OP, I also saw this, "Sets of letters consist of 27
characters, including period. Sets of figures consist of nine characters
from 0 to 8, the 6 also being used for the 9."

Hey, we've all had brain farts.

Yeah, well.... this brain fart left a skid mark, a little bit, anyway.

BUT, on their behalf, they did include the letter "O" as well as the
number "0" (exactly the same stamp). That's what threw me off
momentarily. At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

And I take back my original/premature review. Some of the stamps
don't fit well in the press, esecially the "I". I have to use a
big-ass plier to remove the stamp from the tool once I get it in
there. And the force adjustment doesn't really adjust much. And
there's no way to orient the stamps, I hadda' resort to orienting each
stamp with a Sharpie. I'd not recommend this tool if precision is a
requirement.

All that said, I'm satisfied with the tool for the price (I'm using it
to stamp plant names and lethal temps on those aluminum tags to
identify my cactus plants from all over the World).

That's my life and I'm stickin' to it.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-21, -MIKE- wrote:

How about where it clearly states,
"*Picture displayed may not represent the actual product."

How about it?

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/10 3:54 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:
As to the OP, I also saw this, "Sets of letters consist of 27
characters, including period. Sets of figures consist of nine characters
from 0 to 8, the 6 also being used for the 9."

Hey, we've all had brain farts.

Yeah, well.... this brain fart left a skid mark, a little bit, anyway.

That's funny.

BUT, on their behalf, they did include the letter "O" as well as the
number "0" (exactly the same stamp). That's what threw me off
momentarily. At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Nahhh, turn it upside-down. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-21, wrote:

How about where it clearly states,
"*Picture displayed may not represent the actual product."

How about it?

nb

You said the picture was misleading.
The description even reads, "1/16" Steel Number 8."
Do you expect them to take a picture of each individual number?

Misleading to the illiterate, I guess.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
I just got back from the local Woodcraft store, where I bought a "37
in 1 Professional Quality Stamping Tool Set" for $20. 26 letters,
"&", ".",......

...."AND 9 NUMBERS, 0 - 8".

I guess "9" isn't important anymore. But it's my own fault, it said
so right on the packaging.

Otherwise, the tool works well enough.

-Zz

I got the same set, but "6" was missing in mine. go figure....

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I've been toying with the idea of using those to brand the date into
my projects, when I get around to ordering a branding iron with my
name on it, but I'm not sure how many sets I'd have to buy so I could
do it in just one stab. I think the most use of one digit would be
something like 1/11/2011 or 2/22/2012. Five sets.

I just stamp the letters or numbers one at a time. Held against a clamped
straight-edge they usually don't look too bad. I found when using them held
together the kerning put the numbers/letters too far apart. I got one of
those branding irons for Christmas, it's nice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-21, -MIKE- wrote:

You said the picture was misleading.
The description even reads, "1/16" Steel Number 8."
Do you expect them to take a picture of each individual number?

Misleading to the illiterate, I guess.

Thank you for stating the obvious ....again!

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

Zz Yzx wrote:

I just got back from the local Woodcraft store, where I bought a "37
in 1 Professional Quality Stamping Tool Set" for $20. 26 letters,
"&", ".",......

...."AND 9 NUMBERS, 0 - 8".

I guess "9" isn't important anymore. But it's my own fault, it said
so right on the packaging.

Otherwise, the tool works well enough.

-Zz

You know, I bet if you turned the "6" over, you'd have a pretty good
facsimile of a "9"

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-03-21, wrote:

You said the picture was misleading.
The description even reads, "1/16" Steel Number 8."
Do you expect them to take a picture of each individual number?

Misleading to the illiterate, I guess.

Thank you for stating the obvious ....again!

nb

Are you not the one who said the picture was misleading?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Zz Yzx wrote in
:

I just got back from the local Woodcraft store, where I bought a "37
in 1 Professional Quality Stamping Tool Set" for $20. 26 letters,
"&", ".",......

...."AND 9 NUMBERS, 0 - 8".

I guess "9" isn't important anymore. But it's my own fault, it said
so right on the packaging.

Otherwise, the tool works well enough.

-Zz

What do you need the 9 for? Just mark your projects in base 9 or base 8
(octal). By convention, adding a leading 0 denotes a base 8 number.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 22 Mar 2010 01:32:06 GMT, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Zz Yzx wrote in
:

I just got back from the local Woodcraft store, where I bought a "37
in 1 Professional Quality Stamping Tool Set" for $20. 26 letters,
"&", ".",......

...."AND 9 NUMBERS, 0 - 8".

I guess "9" isn't important anymore. But it's my own fault, it said
so right on the packaging.

Otherwise, the tool works well enough.

-Zz

What do you need the 9 for? Just mark your projects in base 9 or base 8
(octal). By convention, adding a leading 0 denotes a base 8 number.

^
That's an O, not a 0. ;-)

BTW, some conventions use a leading zero to mean hexadecimal (no octal
option).

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
:

What do you need the 9 for? Just mark your projects in base 9 or base
8 (octal). By convention, adding a leading 0 denotes a base 8 number.

^
That's an O, not a 0. ;-)

BTW, some conventions use a leading zero to mean hexadecimal (no octal
option).

While the O may still be correct, many of the programming languages I'm
familiar with use 0. http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/hex/

Hex is usually denoted by 0x. (Sometimes a trailing h is used, but that
seems to be falling out of favor.)
Binary patterns usually are 0b.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *^
That's an O, not a 0. *;-)

BTW, some conventions use a leading zero to mean hexadecimal (no octal
option).

While the O may still be correct, many of the programming languages I'm
familiar with use 0. *http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/hex/

Yes, but the general case is 'O' or "O'" denoting Octal, 'H' or "H'"
for Hexadecimal, and often 'D' or "D'" for plain-as-the-nose-on-your-
face decimal.

Hex is usually denoted by 0x. *(Sometimes a trailing h is used, but that
seems to be falling out of favor.)

....or "H'"

Binary patterns usually are 0b.

....or "b'". Really, all make the intention clear *except* the leading
'0'.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 16:37:28 -0500, the infamous -MIKE-
scrawled the following:

On 3/21/10 3:54 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:
As to the OP, I also saw this, "Sets of letters consist of 27
characters, including period. Sets of figures consist of nine characters
from 0 to 8, the 6 also being used for the 9."

Hey, we've all had brain farts.

Yeah, well.... this brain fart left a skid mark, a little bit, anyway.

That's funny.

In a brownish sort of way, huh?

BUT, on their behalf, they did include the letter "O" as well as the
number "0" (exactly the same stamp). That's what threw me off
momentarily. At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Nahhh, turn it upside-down. :-)

But, for Crom's Sake, don't turn it _sideways_!

--
If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we
shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:54:56 -0700, Zz Yzx wrote:

I have some of the same issues, but since I paid less than $10 for the kit at
Harbor Freight, I feel that I'm getting my bang for the buck..

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com writes:
Zz Yzx wrote in
:

I just got back from the local Woodcraft store, where I bought a "37
in 1 Professional Quality Stamping Tool Set" for $20. 26 letters,
"&", ".",......

...."AND 9 NUMBERS, 0 - 8".

I guess "9" isn't important anymore. But it's my own fault, it said
so right on the packaging.

Otherwise, the tool works well enough.

-Zz

What do you need the 9 for? Just mark your projects in base 9 or base 8
(octal). By convention, adding a leading 0 denotes a base 8 number.

Or flip the 6 upside down.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/21/10 3:54 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:
As to the OP, I also saw this, "Sets of letters consist of 27
characters, including period. Sets of figures consist of nine
characters
from 0 to 8, the 6 also being used for the 9."

Hey, we've all had brain farts.

Yeah, well.... this brain fart left a skid mark, a little bit, anyway.

That's funny.

In a brownish sort of way, huh?

BUT, on their behalf, they did include the letter "O" as well as the
number "0" (exactly the same stamp). That's what threw me off
momentarily. At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Nahhh, turn it upside-down. :-)

But, for Crom's Sake, don't turn it _sideways_!

He'd still be missing a nine ...

Dri Buddy from JML David UK diy 16 February 15th 09 09:15 AM
Shop dog - Good Buddy.jpg (0/1) Zz Yzx Woodworking Plans and Photos 2 December 18th 08 04:16 AM
Hey buddy, whats up spockbeowulf Home Repair 0 April 5th 07 03:22 PM
Hey buddy, whats up traverwebster Home Repair 0 February 20th 07 01:01 AM
If U have a Basement Buddy how do U like it? Sam Home Repair 4 April 13th 05 04:04 PM