Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Harbor Freight Variable Speed Multitool- $50

email flier has a coupon for fiddy bucks for the HF multitool VARIABLE
Speed version.

http://xrl.us/multitoolcoupo

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://xrl.us/multitoolcoupon

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 23:37:47 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

email flier has a coupon for fiddy bucks for the HF multitool VARIABLE
Speed version.

http://xrl.us/multitoolcoupo

I was going to go for that one at $49 instead of the $34 one, but decided that
the VS was mostly for sanding and I have lots of sanders..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 23:37:47 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

email flier has a coupon for fiddy bucks for the HF multitool VARIABLE
Speed version.

http://xrl.us/multitoolcoupo

I was going to go for that one at $49 instead of the $34 one, but decided
that
the VS was mostly for sanding and I have lots of sanders..

I've often wondered myself why a variable speed would be necessary other
than sanding. Like you, I also have a few sanders which do the job. Anyone
care to offer insight to why variable speed cutting would be necessary
elsewhere?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SBH" wrote

I've often wondered myself why a variable speed would be necessary other
than sanding. Like you, I also have a few sanders which do the job. Anyone
care to offer insight to why variable speed cutting would be necessary
elsewhere?

Doesn't the variable speed model have a more secure way of holding the
blades? Is the motor the same power?

It could just be that it is a copy of the Feon. If Fein did it. so would HF.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 22:20:11 -0800, mac davis wrote:

I was going to go for that one at $49 instead of the $34 one, but
decided that the VS was mostly for sanding and I have lots of sanders..

As per the discussions on this group, the VS model has a much better way
of securing the blades. That may be worth the $15 difference.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard writes:

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 22:20:11 -0800, mac davis wrote:

I was going to go for that one at $49 instead of the $34 one, but
decided that the VS was mostly for sanding and I have lots of sanders..

As per the discussions on this group, the VS model has a much better way
of securing the blades. That may be worth the $15 difference.

Also has several other advantages:
1. Better ergonomics
2. Comes with a nice case
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/15/10 1:21 PM, blueman wrote:
Larry writes:

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 22:20:11 -0800, mac davis wrote:

I was going to go for that one at $49 instead of the $34 one, but
decided that the VS was mostly for sanding and I have lots of sanders..

As per the discussions on this group, the VS model has a much better way
of securing the blades. That may be worth the $15 difference.

Also has several other advantages:
1. Better ergonomics
2. Comes with a nice case

If that case is designed well, it would be worth the extra 15 to me.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:43:17 -0400, salty wrote:

As per the discussions on this group, the VS model has a much better way
of securing the blades. That may be worth the $15 difference.

Not according to the manual. It has the same socket head screw setup as
the original single speed model.

Here's a post from the discussion I was referring to:

Quality looks good. In particular, in addition to adding variable speed
it seems to have "solved" some of the complaints with the earlier model,
including:
- Raised 'dots' that engage with holes in the attachments, allowing for
positive locking of the attachment which prevents the slipping that
reportedly plagued the regular model which needed the screw to be
wrenched down real tight to avoid slipping
- Pretty quiet -- quieter than a pad sander
- More ergonomic shape

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/15/10 6:41 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
- Raised 'dots' that engage with holes in the attachments, allowing for
positive locking of the attachment which prevents the slipping that
reportedly plagued the regular model which needed the screw to be
wrenched down real tight to avoid slipping

The single speed unit have that, now.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Interesting - the HF Website lists this tool for $39.99 with a regular price
of 59.99
This is the URL - http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/start.do

The coupon is listed as good from the 15th to the 21st.

I have been considering this tool or the King
I'm just a home woodworker and would be using it as a for renos and
whatever, It would get only occasional use.

Are there any owners who can comment on either?

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
email flier has a coupon for fiddy bucks for the HF multitool VARIABLE
Speed version.

http://xrl.us/multitoolcoupo

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Using coupons and a "tent sale," today I got the single speed
model for $35 less 20%. There are raised bumps to hold
attachments securely, despite having to use the hex head screw.
FWIW, the few times I will use the tool, this is fine. The $ 80
version was also on sale today with a coupon for $50, but I opted
for the cheap one due to the anticipated low usage.

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
email flier has a coupon for fiddy bucks for the HF multitool
VARIABLE Speed version.

http://xrl.us/multitoolcoupo

--

-MIKE-

"Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in
life"
--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

--
Nonny
When we talk to God, we're praying,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Matt wrote:

I have been considering this tool or the King
I'm just a home woodworker and would be using it as a for renos and
whatever, It would get only occasional use.

Are there any owners who can comment on either?

Sorry Matt, but I cannot figure out what you are asking above. What does
"using it as a for renos" mean?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:13:16 -0700, the infamous "Nonny"
scrawled the following:

Using coupons and a "tent sale," today I got the single speed
model for $35 less 20%. There are raised bumps to hold
attachments securely, despite having to use the hex head screw.
FWIW, the few times I will use the tool, this is fine. The $ 80
version was also on sale today with a coupon for $50, but I opted
for the cheap one due to the anticipated low usage.

Good choice, but you you'll find out just how wrong you are on the
"low usage" of that thing. They're addicting. scritch, scritch

--
No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up.
--Lily Tomlin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/15/2010 6:59 PM Matt spake thus:

Interesting - the HF Website lists this tool for $39.99 with a regular price
of 59.99
This is the URL - http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/start.do

The coupon is listed as good from the 15th to the 21st.

I have been considering this tool or the King
I'm just a home woodworker and would be using it as a for renos and
whatever, It would get only occasional use.

Are there any owners who can comment on either?

Yes; check the Harbor Freight Reviews site: http://hfreviews.com

(like this review: http://hfreviews.com/item.php?id=8707)

- a Usenet "apology"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:30:41 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 22:20:11 -0800, mac davis wrote:

I was going to go for that one at $49 instead of the $34 one, but
decided that the VS was mostly for sanding and I have lots of sanders..

As per the discussions on this group, the VS model has a much better way
of securing the blades. That may be worth the $15 difference.

It would have to be a LOT better for me to justify almost 1/3 more on the
price..
I've been abusing the hell out of mine and have no trouble changing blades and
haven't had one loosen on me since the first time I used it, when I was going to
easy on the allan wrench..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 23:41:52 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:43:17 -0400, salty wrote:

As per the discussions on this group, the VS model has a much better way
of securing the blades. That may be worth the $15 difference.

Not according to the manual. It has the same socket head screw setup as
the original single speed model.

Here's a post from the discussion I was referring to:

Quality looks good. In particular, in addition to adding variable speed
it seems to have "solved" some of the complaints with the earlier model,
including:
- Raised 'dots' that engage with holes in the attachments, allowing for
positive locking of the attachment which prevents the slipping that
reportedly plagued the regular model which needed the screw to be
wrenched down real tight to avoid slipping
- Pretty quiet -- quieter than a pad sander
- More ergonomic shape

Just being quieter would be a big factor for me.. Mine sounds like a hair
clipper on steroids..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:59:06 -0400, "Matt" wrote:

I bought the $34 model at harbor Freight and I'm very impressed with it..
I'm primarily a turner but bought this just to prove to myself that a sander
with a blade attached to it couldn't cut wood.. WRONG!

It's earned it's keep just in the 5 or 6 times that friends have come over and I
showed them simple plunge cuts with this beast..

Get one, it's a great tool..

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
email flier has a coupon for fiddy bucks for the HF multitool VARIABLE
Speed version.

http://xrl.us/multitoolcoupo

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/15/10 9:59 PM, Matt wrote:
Interesting - the HF Website lists this tool for $39.99 with a regular price
of 59.99

That's the single speed. The coupon is for the variable speed.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 15, 9:56*am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
Doesn't the variable speed model have a more secure way of holding
the
blades? Is the motor the same power?

That's what I'd heard here.

I have several PC293's (? basic modlerouters) with on/off switches.
One Christmas, I bout the VS model on sale and it crapped out within
months. So I traded it in for one with the simple on/off switch and it
has survived (like its brother) for years and years.

I think that, If I wnated to slow the thing down, I'd invest in an
external VS controller.

By the way, why would I want to slow it down?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/16/10 1:59 PM, Hoosierpopi wrote:
I have several PC293's (? basic modlerouters) with on/off switches.
One Christmas, I bout the VS model on sale and it crapped out within
months. So I traded it in for one with the simple on/off switch and it
has survived (like its brother) for years and years.

I think that, If I wnated to slow the thing down, I'd invest in an
external VS controller.

By the way, why would I want to slow it down?

If you're talking about a router...
it's my understanding that larger diameter bit shouldn't be run at the
full speed most routers can obtain, like 24k rpm.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

I went to HF yesterday with 2 coupons in my pocket. One was for
20% off any purchase and the other for the $80 version of the saw
at $49. The 20% applied only to the cheap saw. When I got there,
the cheap version was already on sale for $35 and an inquiry
learned that the 20% DID apply to that price. I got my single
speed version for $28 plus tax and used the 20% off to buy a
blade. Not bad at all.

----
Nonny
When we talk to God, we're praying,
but when God talks to us,
we're schizophrenic.
What's the deal?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ike Ike is offline

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 21:40:39 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 3/15/2010 6:59 PM Matt spake thus:

Interesting - the HF Website lists this tool for $39.99 with a regular price
of 59.99
This is the URL - http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/common/start.do

The coupon is listed as good from the 15th to the 21st.

I have been considering this tool or the King
I'm just a home woodworker and would be using it as a for renos and
whatever, It would get only occasional use.

Are there any owners who can comment on either?

Yes; check the Harbor Freight Reviews site: http://hfreviews.com

(like this review: http://hfreviews.com/item.php?id=8707)

Thank you for the link to Harbor Freight Reviews. I didn't know the
site existed. The reviews seem pretty fair minded to me.

Confused about multi stage or variable speed furnace with non variable condensor scorpionleather Home Repair 3 September 29th 08 02:38 PM
Harbor Freight Router Speed Control - $10 Dhakala Woodworking 0 March 14th 06 07:38 PM
Drill Press: variable speed vs. multi-speed TheNewGuy Woodworking 22 November 24th 05 01:32 AM
Harbor Freight DC Jimmy Woodworking 12 November 18th 05 05:11 PM
More on Harbor Freight DC mac davis Woodworking 11 November 22nd 04 08:20 PM