Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Setting Jointer Knives (A How-to Video)

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Just finished this and thought I'd share.

-Brian
Posted to rec.woodworking

GarageWoodworks wrote:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Just finished this and thought I'd share.

Good job again Brian. What do you use for a camera and mic to make your
recordings?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 15, 7:27*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
GarageWoodworks wrote:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Just finished this and thought I'd share.

Good job again Brian. *What do you use for a camera and mic to make your
recordings?

Thanks Mike. I use a Sony Digital-8 recorder and a cheap microphone
and extension that I got from RadioShack. I'd like to buy a hidef
camera, but I need to find a job first. :^)

I enjoy making these videos. For the most part they have been
woodworking tips only. I might on the next one actually make a small
project and film as I go. Who knows.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

nice job on the video--but a question: how do you know the knives are
level lengthwise, if you're only checking the midpoint of each knife?
thanks,
eric
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/10 3:15 PM, eag111 wrote:
nice job on the video--but a question: how do you know the knives are
level lengthwise, if you're only checking the midpoint of each knife?
thanks,
eric

That magnetic jig holds them at the exact height as the table.
The jig is holding the blade on the right and left, so it's level.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 19, 4:48*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/19/10 3:15 PM, eag111 wrote:

nice job on the video--but a question: how do you know the knives are
level lengthwise, if you're only checking the midpoint of each knife?
thanks,
eric

That magnetic jig holds them at the exact height as the table.
The jig is holding the blade on the right and left, so it's level.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Ok--in my experience, tightening the gib screws can skew the knives...
Posted to rec.woodworking

nice job on the video--but a question: how do you know the knives are
level lengthwise, if you're only checking the midpoint of each knife?
thanks,
eric

That magnetic jig holds them at the exact height as the table.
The jig is holding the blade on the right and left, so it's level.

Ok--in my experience, tightening the gib screws can skew the knives...

Yeah, I hear you. I think the newer machines have better holders, but
mine moves around, too. I think the best technique for that is just,
"watch and hold it." :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 19, 4:14*pm, eag111 wrote:
On Mar 19, 4:48*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

On 3/19/10 3:15 PM, eag111 wrote:

nice job on the video--but a question: how do you know the knives are
level lengthwise, if you're only checking the midpoint of each knife?
thanks,
eric

That magnetic jig holds them at the exact height as the table.
The jig is holding the blade on the right and left, so it's level.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Ok--in my experience, tightening the gib screws can skew the knives...

As Mike pointed out, the jig does a good job at holding the knives
flush with the outfeed side. It also prevents skewing as you tighten
the gib bolts. I have seen DIY versions of this magnetic jig. It
seems like a relatively easy one to make on your own with a few rare
earth magnets and a chunk of flat wood. DAGS for more info on making
one.