DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Setting Jointer Knives (A How-to Video) (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/299706-setting-jointer-knives-how-video.html)

Garagewoodworks March 13th 10 10:55 PM

Setting Jointer Knives (A How-to Video)

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Just finished this and thought I'd share.

-Brian

Mike Marlow[_2_] March 15th 10 12:27 PM

GarageWoodworks wrote:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Just finished this and thought I'd share.

Good job again Brian. What do you use for a camera and mic to make your
recordings?

--

-Mike-

Garagewoodworks March 15th 10 05:07 PM

Setting Jointer Knives (A How-to Video)

On Mar 15, 7:27*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
GarageWoodworks wrote:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php

Just finished this and thought I'd share.

Good job again Brian. *What do you use for a camera and mic to make your
recordings?

Thanks Mike. I use a Sony Digital-8 recorder and a cheap microphone
and extension that I got from RadioShack. I'd like to buy a hidef
camera, but I need to find a job first. :^)

I enjoy making these videos. For the most part they have been
woodworking tips only. I might on the next one actually make a small
project and film as I go. Who knows.

--

-Mike-

eag111 March 19th 10 08:15 PM

Setting Jointer Knives (A How-to Video)

nice job on the video--but a question: how do you know the knives are
level lengthwise, if you're only checking the midpoint of each knife?
thanks,
eric

-MIKE- March 19th 10 08:48 PM

On 3/19/10 3:15 PM, eag111 wrote:
nice job on the video--but a question: how do you know the knives are
level lengthwise, if you're only checking the midpoint of each knife?
thanks,
eric

That magnetic jig holds them at the exact height as the table.
The jig is holding the blade on the right and left, so it's level.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

eag111 March 19th 10 09:14 PM

On Mar 19, 4:48*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/19/10 3:15 PM, eag111 wrote:

nice job on the video--but a question: how do you know the knives are
level lengthwise, if you're only checking the midpoint of each knife?
thanks,
eric

That magnetic jig holds them at the exact height as the table.
The jig is holding the blade on the right and left, so it's level.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Ok--in my experience, tightening the gib screws can skew the knives...

-MIKE- March 19th 10 10:44 PM

Setting Jointer Knives (A How-to Video)

nice job on the video--but a question: how do you know the knives are
level lengthwise, if you're only checking the midpoint of each knife?
thanks,
eric

That magnetic jig holds them at the exact height as the table.
The jig is holding the blade on the right and left, so it's level.

Ok--in my experience, tightening the gib screws can skew the knives...

Yeah, I hear you. I think the newer machines have better holders, but
mine moves around, too. I think the best technique for that is just,
"watch and hold it." :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Garagewoodworks March 20th 10 06:45 PM

On Mar 19, 4:14*pm, eag111 wrote:
On Mar 19, 4:48*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

On 3/19/10 3:15 PM, eag111 wrote:

nice job on the video--but a question: how do you know the knives are
level lengthwise, if you're only checking the midpoint of each knife?
thanks,
eric

That magnetic jig holds them at the exact height as the table.
The jig is holding the blade on the right and left, so it's level.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Ok--in my experience, tightening the gib screws can skew the knives...

As Mike pointed out, the jig does a good job at holding the knives
flush with the outfeed side. It also prevents skewing as you tighten
the gib bolts. I have seen DIY versions of this magnetic jig. It
seems like a relatively easy one to make on your own with a few rare
earth magnets and a chunk of flat wood. DAGS for more info on making
one.