Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Setting jointer knives, had a thought.

Thought about after reading how important it is to set jointer knives
equal to the outfeed table why couldnt you lay a wide magnet on the
edge of the outfeed table to "hold" the knives at that level while
tightening them down instead of using a dial indicator? Would this work?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com, "stryped" wrote:
Thought about after reading how important it is to set jointer knives
equal to the outfeed table why couldnt you lay a wide magnet on the
edge of the outfeed table to "hold" the knives at that level while
tightening them down instead of using a dial indicator? Would this work?

Works fine -- but you aren't the first guy to have that idea. :-)
http://www.right-tool.com/joinpalmagjo.html

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

stryped wrote:
Thought about after reading how important it is to set jointer knives
equal to the outfeed table why couldnt you lay a wide magnet on the
edge of the outfeed table to "hold" the knives at that level while
tightening them down instead of using a dial indicator? Would this work?

Yup. Commercial magnetic setting jigs are also available.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"stryped" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can I use just a magnet instead of paying the 30-100 bucks for that
fixture?

Two posters already said you could....

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, "stryped" wrote:
Can I use just a magnet instead of paying the 30-100 bucks for that
fixture?

Why not try it and see?

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
t...
In article . com,

"stryped" wrote:
Can I use just a magnet instead of paying the 30-100 bucks for that
fixture?

Why not try it and see?

Haven't we been here before?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 05:56:46 -0700, stryped wrote:

Thought about after reading how important it is to set jointer knives
equal to the outfeed table why couldnt you lay a wide magnet on the edge
of the outfeed table to "hold" the knives at that level while tightening
them down instead of using a dial indicator? Would this work?

That's how I have always done it. I lay two heavy duty rectangle magnets
on the outfeed table and 'have at it'.

There's another way? Who knew?

Bill