Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sliding Medicin Chest Mirror (help)

Okay, it's not a medicine chest yet. Newly remodeled bathroom, hole in the
wall centered above the sink, gorgeous mirror covering the hole in the wall.
Standard medicine cabinet will not fit because of 2 inch vent stack passing
vertically up through the middle. Cannot be changed.

Anyway, since SHMBO loves the mirror, here is what I would like to do:
1) Build my own cabinet using 1/4" stock, allowing for the 2" pipe
intrusion.
2) Put the mirror on some kind of 'glide' so, in order to open it, one would
simply slide it along the wall from left to right.

Mirror is approximately 24" tall and 18 inches wide.
I need help recommending "glides". I was thinking something along the lines
of the system used to support fine cabinet drawers. Maybe something simpler
is available. All suggestions and links greatly appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
[...]

They have sliding glass door hardware. Usually just a track for the glass
to slid in. That may work for you.

Talk to a glass supply shop. They could help you.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2275

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 03/11/2010 01:35 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Anyway, since SHMBO loves the mirror, here is what I would like to do:
1) Build my own cabinet using 1/4" stock, allowing for the 2" pipe
intrusion.
2) Put the mirror on some kind of 'glide' so, in order to open it, one would
simply slide it along the wall from left to right.

1) Frame mirror in wooden frame. (If it isn't already.)

2) Mount 18" full extension drawer slides behind the frame, top and
bottom. One part screws to the frame, the other part to the wall. This
will space the back of the frame 1/2" away from the wall. If that's too
much space, you could recess the slide into the frame somewhat.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
el...
On 03/11/2010 01:35 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Anyway, since SHMBO loves the mirror, here is what I would like to do:
1) Build my own cabinet using 1/4" stock, allowing for the 2" pipe
intrusion.
2) Put the mirror on some kind of 'glide' so, in order to open it, one
would
simply slide it along the wall from left to right.

1) Frame mirror in wooden frame. (If it isn't already.)

2) Mount 18" full extension drawer slides behind the frame, top and
bottom. One part screws to the frame, the other part to the wall. This
will space the back of the frame 1/2" away from the wall. If that's too
much space, you could recess the slide into the frame somewhat.

Chris

Chris,
Thanks for your reply. Very useful. Yes, the mirror is already framed.

Ivan Vegvary